Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GigaTick exit scam
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GigaTick exit scam

Hi! I signed up for the GigaTick offer from LEB a couple months ago, and they subsequently vanished after like 2 months, and I've seen no blog post about it. What happened?

https://lowendbox.com/blog/gigatick-2gb-ram-vps-for-4-95-month-with-unmetered-bandwidth-in-la-cheap-dedis-and-cpanel-too/

Also, their domains didn't go to their WHMCS as they did before, yet they still autobilled me

Comments

• Chargeback and move on. And next time, do some research before buying. Always keep in mind LEB ≠ LET

• Thanks for your feedback.

• henixhenix Member
    edited December 2023

Thanks for your feedback.
    Your scam has been doubled

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@DP said:
    GigaTick, NanoExit.

• This server could not prove that it is gigatick.net; its security certificate is from maxlifeproducts.com.

Oh sweet sweet irony, max life products :D

• Thanks for your feedback.

• I wouldn't trust any host mentioned on LEB, they have zero integrity and are happy to promote scammers.

• You guys bought from a provider named GigaTick? Do you also buy cars from Villain Dealer or vacation to Skull Volcano Island?

If so I have a bridge to sell you!

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • @DP said:
    GigaTick, NanoExit.

Good thing they didn't used vim otherwise the exit would have taken longer

• @raindog308 might want to fix the blog post from
    "They’re a cool hosting company with an unusual name, and they’re bringing us some nice deals today:"
    to
    They were a cool hosting company with an unusual name, and they’re bringing another exit scam today:"
    but, your decision

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@fluffernutter said: they have zero integrity and are happy to promote scammers

Why thank you.

You have some examples? I don't remember promoting scammers.

Running offers for hosts that subsequently deadpooled, sure.

If you have a surefire way to vet all offers and provide a multi-year guarantee that they will stay in business and provide excellent service, I'd love to hear it.

There are a fair number of offers we don't run, FYI...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: There are a fair number of offers we don't run, FYI...

Would be interesting to go back and see how many of those offers ended up deadpooling. Basically get an idea to see how well your gaydar is working.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@raindog308 said: There are a fair number of offers we don't run, FYI...

Would be interesting to go back and see how many of those offers ended up deadpooling. Basically get an idea to see how well your gaydar is working.

Francisco

Of unposted: 90 %

Of posted: Still 90 %

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

@raindog308 didn’t you write something like ”this isn’t some summerhost” on the gayhost that crashed almost immediately?

• edited December 2023

@emgh said:
    @raindog308 didn’t you write something like ”this isn’t some summerhost” on the gayhost that crashed almost immediately?

It wasn't a sommerhost. It was just that the internet wasn't prepared to handle their level of gayness.

Thanked by 1emgh

@emgh said: @raindog308 didn’t you write something like ”this isn’t some summerhost” on the gayhost that crashed almost immediately?

Not quite the context:

"Their staff is also RHCE-certified so this isn’t some summer host reading recipes out of a tutorial library but rather someone who knows the tech stack at a very professional level."

Again, if you have a surefire way to screen hosts, let me know. I screen out horrible offers and obvious frauds but it's always caveat emptor.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited December 2023

@jmaxwell said:
    Always keep in mind LEB ≠ LET

What does that mean? LEB isn't reliable whereas LET is?

Don't the two sites share the same owner? And they mutually link to each other.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited December 2023

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Maybe an implemented, "Legitimacy meter" or something that is tallied based on certain criteria?

• Is this a legally operating company?
    • Is it ran by a legal adult?
    • Have they submitted some form of proof that they are who they say they are?
    • Any known history in the industry (positive or negative)
    • Length of time the business has -actually- been operating. (Check archive.org at minimum to see if their website even existed 6 months ago if they tell you they've been operating for a year, follow up on discrepancies)
    • Who are their upstreams? Do they rent/lease, own hardware? Network resources like IPs / their ASN?
    • Etc

For example, in the UK a 16 year old can register a business. So, a hosting provider based out of the UK, ran by some school kid, using Hetzner as their upstream, selling budget/bottom of the barrel gameservers (high risk market), would rate low on the Legitimacy Meter (or whatever).

I guess the gay-host or whatever would probably have ranked higher due to their experience, so it's not fool proof of course, but something worth considering and dialing in.

But then there are obvious providers who'd have a very high legitimacy rating because they've been around for a long time, it's a legit business, known history in the industry, and are less likely to take the money and run. Well, wait, I guess that sort of explains DediPath.

Actually, nevermind. Trust no one.

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

@fluffernutter said:
    I wouldn't trust any host mentioned on LEB, they have zero integrity and are happy to promote scammers.

HEY!

Thanked by 1Xrmaddness
  • georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

But then there are obvious providers who'd have a very high legitimacy rating because they've been around for a long time, it's a legit business, known history in the industry, and are less likely to take the money and run. Well, wait, I guess that sort of explains DediPath.

LOL

Actually, nevermind. Trust no one.

Yep

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • Deadpooling is exit scamming. We've just been gaslit into calling it deadpooling which sounds a lot less like exit scamming so we're more able to accept it.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2023

@jmaxwell said:
    Always keep in mind LEB ≠ LET

And yet they both have the same owner paid in bilohbucks.

• LEB needs a hall of shame/deadpool directory which lists all these providers

@varwww said:
    LEB needs a hall of shame/deadpool directory which lists all these providers

There used to be one, but it started to look bad when the owner of the site ran the datacenters that many of them sold from.

Francisco

@Francisco said: Would be interesting to go back and see how many of those offers ended up deadpooling. Basically get an idea to see how well your gaydar is working.

That's a good idea. I just did that.

There are 587 offers in the "LowEnd Virtual", "LowEnd Dedicated", and "Shared Hosting" categories since January 1, 2022. It's a manual effort to look at each post and see if the provider's web site it still up, so I only went back 2 years. Still, it's a big sample.

Of those, 16 "offers" are miscategorized and 2 are deadpool announcements, so 569 actual offers.

Of these, I found the following hosts who've deadpooled:

• DediPath (9 offers)
    • PacketVM (3 offers)
    • GigaTick (1 offer)
    • Rabbit Computing (1 offer)
    • CaliberVPS (1 offer)
    • HXServers (1 offer)
    • Coasthosting (1 offer)
    • Servzen (1 offer)
    • Kubbur (1 offer)
    • RackEdge (1 offer)
    • FiberVM (1 offer)
    • StellaVPS (1 offer)

That's a total of 25 offers, or a "bad offer" rate of 4.4%. Without DediPath, the "bad offer" rate is 2.8%.

In other words, 95.6% of offers posted on LEB for the last 2 years (or 97.2% if you don't count one provider) are from providers who didn't deadpool.

Strange that @fluffernutter won't "trust any host mentioned on LEB" since there is a huge overlap with hosts mentioned on LET. If you don't trust any lowend host, are you only shopping at Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure? Well we know you don't since you talk about using hosts that have been featured on LEB so your statement is irrational.

@emgh said: Of posted: Still 90 %

Nope.

Thanked by 2emgh yoursunny

Nah I mean if you have records of the hosts you denied.

Francisco

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • @raindog308 thanks for the effort

I think you should do a % of unique hosts mentioned though, not a % of offers

And in your honest view, why don’t LET regulars like LEB offers?

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

Also, how’d you check the websites, manually or with a tool? Thinking about all those ”domain parked” sites and how they’d affect the result

Point is, ping ≠ acutally up

Then there’s probably a few just disabling their WHMCS or whatever