Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stock, DDoS Protection, TOS/AUP Adjustments - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stock, DDoS Protection, TOS/AUP Adjustments

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Ehm... Same here :o

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://buyvm.net/

The following error was encountered:

Connection to 205.185.112.61 Failed
    The system returned:

(113) No route to host

M

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

That's my error, broke the node while testing something :P It'll be back in a few.

Francisco

edited March 2012

Yep, looks cool :)
    But no more 20 TB offer :(
    M

@Maounique said: Yep, looks cool :)

But no more 20 TB offer :(
    M

We never had a 20TB offer >_> You could look at getting a smaller storage plan simply for the BW?

Francisco

• Just a question, do you plan for some east coast packages sometime soon?

@Francisco said: We never had a 20TB offer >_> You could look at getting a smaller storage plan simply for the BW?

Oh, well, went to buyvm.com, there was a coming soon page, matched the planned release of stock, so I thought those are the new plans :P
    Tor nodes need bw, bw and bw. No CPU, no space, no particular kind of virtualization, sure, I can get a preconfigured package, but everything else would be wasted.
    I have 5 TB plans and up for Tor, usually, or unmettered where it is really unmettered. Damn, i continue to miss ENS...
    If you ever have excess BW on a location, just call, I will not be DDoSed, will not need space, cpu, ram (tho for high BW 256 MB is mandatory), I/O, doesnt need uptime much, etc :) I will consult with other ppl and see if we can take the offer for 2.5 $ a tb but that isnt cheap at all, however, we never had own SWIP abuse so far, just had it forwarded, I see what we agree upon.
    M

@Go59954 said: Just a question, do you plan for some east coast packages sometime soon?

It's on the list :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1Go59954
  • AsuraHostingAsuraHosting Member
    edited March 2012

Time for me to set up a tent and cop myself a yearly package =O

Does the DoS Filtered IPs including filtering for SYN/SSYN attacks?

It would make sense since I believe packets pass through some filtering device (probably hardware).
    M

@AsuraHosting said: Does the DoS Filtered IPs including filtering for SYN/SSYN attacks?

It does its best, yep. If you're getting like, a true GET flood (bots making real GET calls, etc), then you'll need to do localized stuff or we can talk to awknet to get fully proxied stuff.

@Maounique said: It would make sense since I believe packets pass through some filtering device (probably hardware).

Right :)

Francisco

• @Francisco said: @Aldryic will let you know if we can allow multiple VM's in the same /29, but I don't see that being an issue.

I certainly don't see any problem with that. After all, we'll be working on the floating IP/Bandwidth system after this sales round anyways.

• AsuraHostingAsuraHosting Member
    edited March 2012

@Francisco said: It does its best, yep. If you're getting like, a true GET flood (bots making real GET calls, etc), then you'll need to do localized stuff or we can talk to awknet to get fully proxied stuff.

Sounds great, but I'm just hosting a community TeamSpeak3 server for a friend who has a RuneScape Clan... the UDP floods were no problem, but it's those damn SYN/SSYN attacks that takes them down.

I'll definitely get a package on Friday, haha...

edited March 2012

The problem with GET (or POST, if possible, since POST does more damage in terms of CPU and I/O) flood is that it kills the software, cpu and I/O and needs a lot less BW to take the site down. However, it is easier to mitigate, since you can limit per IP or blacklist IPs that are connecting more than x times a minute. There are ready-made scripts for that (ex: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/fail2ban.htm ) and can work for more than one service.

We have 2 issues here, classical DDoS (bw filling with any kind of packet, usually UDP) that only provider can mitigate because, even if you ban the IP the traffic still reaches you. The other means that you can defend against it at VPS level (unless it is so bad that really saturates the pipe in which case the upstram filter should catch it), but needs a lot less BW and could pass through a firewall that blocks the other kind. One angry user can block a website on low end dsl, but it is trivial to automatically IP-ban without any assistance from the provider.
    M

• @Maounique: I have done everything required to help with defending the SYN/SSYN flood attack on the VPS level; but the flood is from several hundred or even thousand of different sources.

These booters that those kids use don't have enough to actually flood the port, but the thing is, even if I'm limiting the SYN/SSYN traffic to 'x' amount of connections/sec or so, it still does damage and takes down the VPS until the attack period ends. So I'm hoping these filtered IP's have some sort of SYN/SSYN filter mechanism of some sort to help with this.

Yes, any firewall, be it hardware or software, has this capability. If those attacks are caught upstream, you dont have to worry.
    M

• First, this is great news. BuyVM is continually raising the bar for low end providers.

@Maounique All the VPS-es that use the 5 usable IPs for Tor nodes have to be of same type (OpenVZ, KVM)

OpenVZ has limits for network connections. It's generally considered better to run Tor (or any high bandwidth proxy) on Xen or KVM.

edited March 2012

I dont run 100 mbps full open nodes (i.e. wont have that many outside connections in same time as i allow only http(s), pop(s), 465, some IM protocols and streaming). I wont be having any P2P unless some happen to go on those ports (seems unlikely since never got any DMCA complaint in many years) and that is what connects to many IPs at once.
    It is also true I never got to use much more than 10 TB a month, even at home the combined throughput of my nodes dont go above 300 GB a day, not even in the best days, usually is much lower.
    I will keep that in mind if I manage to get a 30 tb node some day.
    I hope I manage to get a VPS and see if they really are that good as ppl say, at least the policy is much more than I could hope for.
    M

• @dotvps

How much do you wanna pay for colo?

After a few minutes of searching, here's what I found:

Steadfast 1U at $90/month
    HostDime 1U (without bandwidth) at $65/month
    Colo@ 1U at $90/month
    ColoUnlimited at $50/month
    Continuum at $65/month
    Natcoweb at $65/month

And that's what I found.

edited March 2012

I registered an account to be ready, but it looks like I am too late since it will take two days or so, because this: WARNING: Your account has not been verified, and may be pending deletion
    Didnt expect to be this hard :P
    Oh, well, maybe next time.
    M

• @Maounique said: I registered an account to be ready, but it looks like I am too late since it will take two days or so, because this: WARNING: Your account has not been verified, and may be pending deletion

Didnt expect to be this hard :P
    Oh, well, maybe next time.

Pending Accounts aren't restricted from ordering; setup on those just takes longer since they haven't been audited yet :3 All active accounts still have the same chance of grabbing a piece of stock.. once the order is made, it's reserved until either provision or cancelled.

Ah, cool :) Now remains to get lucky and be near computer when it is actually online...
    Kinda hard since I have to go shopping now.
    M

• Even if you miss today's, we're not putting it all up for grabs at once. The remainder after this initial release will be spread out across next week :3

• for BuyVM, next week is too long Aldryic.. too long :P

• AsimAsim Member

Any updates on the stock? any countdown like last time?

• @Asim - I'm waiting to the box we're going to use for filtering to be provisioned. Floods keep hitting off and on; I'd rather we have billing behind a filtered IP before the sales start if possible.

Just waiting on the IP block to start routing so I can test my work boss :3

All goes well we'll have ip's for sale on Monday

DDOS filtered IP's are now available.

:3

Francisco

• @Aldryic said: Clients wanting to run a TOR node or private site MUST acquire a /29 from us, and have the IPs SWIP'd into their name before starting the service.

@Steve81 said: This is valid only for exit nodes or also for middle nodes?

@Francisco said: Exit's only :) middle nodes are no issue.

Just in case someone is interested running a tor middle node onto a shiny new BuyVM vps, I just asked through a ticket and @Aldryic told me that each kind of tor nodes is regulated by the same rules (/29 and so on).

edited March 2012

And when I called his bluff and sent him AGAIN the sites where he can check what kind of node is run, even those fully scriptable with dig and such as this one (which google knows for 5 years+):
    https://www.dan.me.uk/dnsbl because he complained he cant really check public pages where the nodes are listed without a bash style of script (he was afraid he might breach the privacy of customers, like snooping around for tor process isnt exactly that), he continued in the same note of name calling and personal attacks and ended up saying it is because of me he is blocking Tor "again".
    Move on fox, there are many providers with wide BW that can afford Tor nodes at half the price.
    M

• Just to clear up any confusion people have, this is the actual conversation that took place:

http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images/orig/3/8700361618-orig.png