Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the next big thing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the next big thing?

SteveMCSteveMC Member
edited December 2023 in General

What is the next major innovation or revolution that can happen to the web hosting industry?

Comments

• More AI integration at server side. I think cloudlinux is already doing some or probably will.
    The future is AI.

• I think AI and Chat based platforms (information aggregation platforms) will have huge impact on SEO and content of the websites (visually and technically).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@SteveMC said: What is the next major innovation or revolution that can happen to the web hosting industry?

IPv6.

When it gets here, it's going to be huge.

• ecomukecomuk Member, Patron Provider

Data centres in ex-Government buildings :blush:

• Major thing would be Linux and BSD OS license shift. Imagine - if you do business by offering linux os, you will be charged per user!

• People say grandiose things like AI, but I don't see that changing anything for anyone other than the mega corps that are looking to switch from one low quality support offering to another = just shifting from outsourcing to India to outsourcing to AI. Most consumers I think will still be disappointed by the low quality support.

For smaller hosts I think the biggest changes are already happening as we see the major players continually squeeze their users for more licensing fees. That has in turn pushed hosts to look at alternatives and has spurred development of new alternatives like webuzo and enhance (or to a larger degree, pushed more users to the 3rd largest panel DA for example)... As that trend continues I see even more development going into alternatives for panels and backups and all the software used in the industry, which is a good thing.

Over the next 5 years I see the top software giants losing significant market share and we will see some of these new options become very competitive and attractive options.

In the next 10 years we may see more adoption of AI as a viable option for many use cases, but again I think that's going to be a slow process mostly limited to mega corps. There will be a huge market for hands-on human support for a long long time.

• DNA data storage.

• Generative AI may lead to people using the web less and instead prefer content that is generated for them individually, even directly on their device.
    Which would affect the web hosting industry.

Thanked by 2commercial Hxxx
  • best place is to check

google

university researches

also @LTniger backups.

• The next big thing is living on Mars

Until then

AI

• @mrTom said:
    Generative AI may lead to people using the web less and instead prefer content that is generated for them individually, even directly on their device.
    Which would affect the web hosting industry.

smart take.
    Pages will still exist to feed AI.

• 0xC70xC7 Member
    edited December 2023

SteveMC said: What is the next major innovation or revolution that can happen to the web hosting industry?
    raindog308 said: IPv6. When it gets here, it's going to be huge.

Excuse me for such dumb question,
    so we don't have any /64, /80, /112 FREE ipv6 block when renting vps/hosting service in the future, just 1 or 2 ipv6 address :# ?
    ... and NAT over ipv6 more common ?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

According to @FAT32 , the @crunchbits auctions are something big.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • fiberstatefiberstate Member, Patron Provider

Quantum AI

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

Always thought this was the next big thing.

• The 99/year bricklayer chicken.

• Increasing adoption of GNU GPL software licensing

• Cheap NVME storage VPS

• I think eventually PaaS platforms (Heroku/Dokku style) will overtake IaaS in terms of popularity. A lot of people run all their web services in Docker today, so a logical progression from that is a platform that makes Docker hosting super easy without having to deal with the base system at all. For larger deployments, managed Kubernetes (like what DigitalOcean provides) will gain popularity too.

Code is also moving to edge servers so that it runs closer to the end users (to reduce latency), with things like Cloudflare Workers, so I think at some point that'll become way more widespread with most hosting providers having some unified implementation of it.

In terms of VPSes, they'll start to be seen as more lower-level, mostly for special use cases. I'd like to see VPS hosting move away from panels like SolusVM to instead use ones where all your resources are pooled. For example, instead of having three VPSes that each have 8GB RAM and 20GB disk each, you instead have a pool of 24GB RAM and 60GB disk, and can split it however you like up to a max of three VPSes. You could have one VPS with all resources, or two VPSes where one has 18GB RAM and the other has 6GB, or any other combination. Some providers already do this with OpenNebula or OpenStack.

Things move slowly, though. VPS hosting is essentially the same now as it was five years ago. It'll take time.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • My cock

Thanked by 1PineappleM
  • @akaemu said:
    My cock

🐓💯

Thanked by 2akaemu PineappleM
  • @akaemu said:
    My cock

Your hens will happy

• @yusra said:
    I think AI and Chat based platforms (information aggregation platforms) will have huge impact on SEO and content of the websites (visually and technically).

Isn't google top results already filled with ai generated trash articles?

• Let will be the next big thing :)

• @jmaxwell

I'm very curious, why is there really a need for such a thing?

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

@jmaxwell said:
    Cheap NVME storage VPS

Its already here..

• @oplink said:

@jmaxwell said:
    Cheap NVME storage VPS

Its already here..

without setup fee ;)

• Linux NSA/Mossad backdoor

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

@jmaxwell said:
    without setup fee ;)

Cheaper than lunch at MCD, only 5 bucks

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@fatchan said: Increasing adoption of GNU GPL software licensing

I doubt this. The GPL has been declining in popularity. I would say use of BSD/ISC/MIT/etc.-licensed software will increase, while GPL will decline.