Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transport huge amounts of data (+40GB) between 2 home dsl lines? (seedbox, sftp, rsync)? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Transport huge amounts of data (+40GB) between 2 home dsl lines? (seedbox, sftp, rsync)?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Wait...we're talking about video of baby boomer bands?

Stream it to /dev/null.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited March 2012

I feel like I got dumber reading the last 10 posts...

• nocomnocom Member

Me to - beer for all

• I think we'll be keep doing it the way we do now. Thanks for all your suggestions. The problem is that he has a Gentoo box for editing, and I have a Mac Pro here (along with a few dozen linux boxes). Sony Vegas and Final Cut Pro do not run on linux sadly, so thats the problem. I know that there are other (free) editing tools, he uses Kdenlive, Kino, Qdvdauthor, openshot and GIMP, but just as some of you prefer NGINX over apache or lighty, we find some things are done faster or easier on other software.

Either getting a Mac there, or upgrading the dsl line would be more expensive than the fuel cost we have now, as the speed itself is not really a problem except for this task. "the rest of the web runs just fine".

Thanked by 1mrm2005
  • Hi!

Look: i guess you both working (you and your relative), so you can't edit video 24/7, and you are not even in a hurry. Then it is simple: cut the video into parts that can transfer in a day, and rsync the parts. It will still need a week to get to the other location, but every day there will be new material which is capable of editing. You don't need high spec software just for cutting the video to small parts, so both of the computers should be capable of doing that with free softwares.

If it is not a good solution, then there were already quite a few good ideas before, like giving it to a bus driver, or someone who drives in that location, maybe post it in a letter.

Aren't there anyone at your workplace who lives near your relative and comes to the hospital from there? So you can simply give the material to her/him, and your relative will pick it up - works both way and if you give some chocolate and little presents to the carrier i guess she/he will gladly help.

Last idea: i guess there are at least a few faster lines in your neighbourhood like libraries, schools, or some friend who pays for the bigger line you mentioned earlier - you can talk with someone and for a few bucks place the nas there where the faster line is. I don't think anyone will have any objections if you show him that you only send legal files through it.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Good luck rendering a movie in a virtual machine :P It does work but it is probably faster to drive away 2 hours :)
    M

• nocomnocom Member

HI Maounique long time no see.
    I already have 3 PCs with Ubuntu running AutoCad2009 inside Win XP Pro inside Virtual box and guess what you can run Winamp and Firefox too at same time with AutoCad with open 800mb dwg file.Only problem i have with this setup one Pc is very old DDR1 1gb is capable to run only Cad no other aps, second PC is dualcore 2gb ddr2 and last Phenom 4gb ddr3 dual boot Win7/Ubuntu .
    Regards

And, guess what, none is rendering HD movies :P I have also at work autocad pc on vmware so it can be accessed without ppl moving around at the autocad pc, that is light on resources (2008 tho, dunno 2009) compared with rendering a movie across codecs, not to mention further processing such as cropping or other filters.
    M

• nocomnocom Member

I made mistake it was home edition. I didnt try to edit movie with this setup , but moving 800mb dwg file inside, editing same ,zooming and working with dwg was fine only small PC run with some sticky problems (dwg file is actually full city dwg i dont remember number of layers etc) .You can also install 2010 if you want but no point to make bigger instal to run out of memory , for best performance install only what you need if Qcad solve all problems i you dont need autocad at all.

BTW Video Director work excellent with win98 and only 256mb ram and is capable to perform full edit text effects etc.

I suggest you actually render HD movies, even within same codec and resolution. I never worked with high end editors, but i suspect they are even slower as they apply more filters and effects.
    M

• nocomnocom Member

Main problem with video editing is I/O speed and partially CPU capability and CPU cache GPU is irelevant, its very similar to Autocad platform .
    Difference between both platform is that actually AutoCad doing rendering all the time and video software only when you click on preview -doing open video command-make video, same rule for efects ect(try both and watch CPU usage).

You can suggest yourself to try something if you want to learn how to render movie, google and youtoube is full with videos how to manuals forums and software is presented on Internet.

• Guys, it is not about the software. The problem I was addressing was how to get the video files from one place to another with a slow network connection. My dad knows how to use his linux workstation and his software, he likes it and it runs fine. I know how to do certain things with software which runs on the mac platform, like final cut, after effects and vegas. I do not think that running Mac OS in a VM is allowed under the EULA, and even if then my dad would need to learn a new piece of software and he is not to keen on it. The way we do it now works, only the data transportation takes some time. I have got some good suggestions from this topic and we are looking in to most of them. It will be a seedbox for now, and probably upgrading the DSL lines in the future.

Just as I said earlier, some people prefer NGINX over apache, and other people know how to do their magic with IIS. If the solution you have works and is up to date, then I prefer not to change it. If however you run in to a problem like we did, we try to solve the problem. In the opening post I explained it being about the transport of the data, not so much the software. I however appreciate the suggestions and discussion about video software, but changing the process and workflow would not solve the problem of the data transport. It could take the entire problem away, but it would bring more hassle for us than this does now. So in that perspective, that solution is not workable for this problem, but some other like compressing the video, using different methods of transport would fit more into it.

Hoping not to be unfriendly or anything, just trying to steer the topic in a specific direction, although I think I have enough to tinker with for a while...

Thanked by 1mrm2005
  • nocomnocom Member

Only upgrading speed will speedup transfer, server is limited by internet speed nginx, lightspeed apache compression will not pass this.

• WSSWSS Member

Good job bumping a 5 year dead thread!

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Both of you buy an RDX drive and just post the media its going to be 100% faster, unless you can afford to wait weeks between moving the data and pretty much loosing your normal access to the net during transfer.

Yep, that's what I thought, too. With a 512Kb upstream DSL he is fucked, no matter what he uses.

So, he should put it onto a usb stick and simply send it by snail mail which shouldn't take more than 2 days. (USB stick because it's smaller and is probably sent faster (as a letter) than, say, a protable hdd (packet)).

I think compression is the key here.

I'm not at all a video expert and I might be damn wrong but from what I know that won't help a lot as modern video formats are compressed anyway.

• WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said:
    I'm not at all a video expert and I might be damn wrong but from what I know that won't help a lot as modern video formats are compressed anyway.

This thread is 5 fucking years old. He could have transferred it over dialup by now.

• @WSS said:
    This thread is 5 fucking years old. He could have transferred it over dialup by now.

Damnit! And I wasted all those letters. Maybe I can reuse at least some of them. I hate wasting bytes.

• WSSWSS Member

SaveTheElectrons

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Haha, I don't even remember what an RDX drive is now...I was thinking... wtf did I type and when?

• WSSWSS Member

Hey Mods-

Can't you leave a placeholder when you block spammer fucks? Now I look like the fucktard.

...moreso than usual.

Thanked by 2Clouvider doghouch
  • Cool thread.

I'd curious to know how @Raymii (quite a long time we didn't see this nice fellow around here, sadly!) ended up doing.

Pigeon sounded the best to me. Or a USB key in the mail. But hey, going to see your old man to give him some data after a night of hard work can't hurt :)

(As long as you manage to have no car crash on the way)

• Why not buy a windows vps and do your editing remotely? Then download to your home, much faster? Two person can use same vps remote desktop aswell (not at the same time)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@muratai said:
    Why not buy a windows vps and do your editing remotely? Then download to your home, much faster? Two person can use same vps remote desktop aswell (not at the same time)

I'm sure you wanted to say dedicated server, VPS is not the best place for hogging I/O and CPU at the same time.

• @bsdguy said:

@WSS said:

Damnit! And I wasted all those letters. Maybe I can reuse at least some of them. I hate wasting bytes.

Those bytes could've done some good...

• WSSWSS Member

@teamacc The only truly good Dilbert: The Dilbert Hole.

• @teamacc said:

Those bytes could've done some good...

You understand me!

But there is more. Just think about memory leaks. Them bytes I wasted here might have been used to stop some leaks. Or they could have been donated to Wikileaks for purposeful leaking.

• Best and speeddy tested way is copy via FTP in parallel mode with lftp -e mirror --parallel=64 ...

• @antondedis said:
    Best and speeddy tested way is copy via FTP in parallel mode with lftp -e mirror --parallel=64 ...

Aside from you being 5 years late to the party.

This discussion has been closed.