Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transport huge amounts of data (+40GB) between 2 home dsl lines? (seedbox, sftp, rsync)? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Transport huge amounts of data (+40GB) between 2 home dsl lines? (seedbox, sftp, rsync)?

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2012

Ok, enough with the Pigeon fun then :)
    To @Raymii you either need much faster internet (which i understand is not possible), or you need to somehow carry the data on a physical medium (HDD, flash disk, whatever).
    Although you mentioned Netherlands i am not going to suggest "smoke signals" ;-)

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • You can try some deep compression by using something such as winrar

• @AnthonySmith said: I think compression is the key here.

@DanielM said: You can try some deep compression by using something such as winrar

Here's the problem with compressing his video data -- it's already compressed using H.264. Part of H.264 includes lossless compression (CABAC/CAVLC). Thus, further lossless compression is going to yield almost nothing --- think of re-zipping a zip file, or for something very similar, zipping a bunch of JPEGs.

The only way to reduce the amount of data being transferred is to use compress it lossily with H.264 set at a lower bitrate (think JPEG high/low quality). If the end product is going to be a DVD instead of a Blu-ray, there is really no downside and the savings could be huge. Unless archival is important (say you want to distribute Blu-rays or put HD videos online in the future), you can also reduce the frame size from 1440x1080 to something smaller.

If the end product is going to be HD, or archival is important, you can still get decent savings by recompressing with H.264. The reason is that camcorders use very high constant bitrates, because it's easier to do that in real-time on embedded hardware. On a PC there are no time or complexity constraints, so e.g. if the video was captured at 17 Mbps (as Sony ones seem to do), you could go down to ~10 Mbps variable without seeing much visual difference. Variable bitrate means that the encoded will assign more bits to scenes that actually require them (lot of moving around, noise, etc.), and fewer bits to more static scenes. Adjust the rate upward or downward until your eye can no longer see the difference.

Thanked by 1Raymii
  • DerekDerek Member

How far away are your homes? 5 miles? 10 Miles? Have you thought about a wireless bridge? May add latency but at least you can burst at higher speeds then with your DSL modem.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/wifi-bridge-kits.php

Those are pertty sketchy ^

I would recommend contacting http://www.ubnt.com/ for a decent solution, they are a maker of wireless equipment.

http://www.ubnt.com/airgrid - 30+km?

• @Derek said: How far away are your homes?

OP said two hour drive, so that rules that out!

• Er, I'm not sure, but this sounds like something you would do with Dropbox. Your internet connection is slow. With my 4-4.5mb/s upload, I can transfer 40Gb in around 24 hours, which will take you a week or so to move that kind of data, which means you should:

1. Upgrade your connection.
    2. Burn on DVD and ship (I think snail mail fast for you)
    3. Copy to HDD and drive.
  • @OneTwo here is an unedited piece with Fleetwood Mac in Ahoy (rotterdam, NL):

@Derek about a 2 hour drive, but if I have to work I mostly go there because then i'm already halfway there ;)

@Kairus His workstation is more than able to do that, we transfer back and forth because I have other editing software.

@Lele0108 I've got my own dropbox, 2 local NAS boxes which sync via rsync. Works fine, only the speed, but with dropbox it will take just as long..

@quirkyquark I'm going to look into that for sure, did not thought about that yet. Thanks

The problem with carrier pidgeons is that they fly back to the place they know, not to some new place. I would have to leave my pidgeon there, and when I need the data it would need to fly back with 2 sd cards on it. I would need to leave a few pidgeons there, and I think the rain would be a problem... Did know about the RFC's, quite funny :p

So it comes down to a faster DSL line at both sides. They do offer ADSL2+ which should get up to 20mbps, but with a line check (with any provider here) it does not get above the 2 mbps. Kinda far from the ADSL base station (wijkcentrale in dutch).

• @Raymii said: but with dropbox it will take just as long..

Have you thought about using CrashPlan? It's backup, but it basically compresses all the files, sends it to the net, and you can retrieve it on the other side.

I use it for my backups, but I think it might work for this scenario too.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I doubt that wireless bridges will work if it is 2 hours drive and in NL there is mostly flat terrain (no elevations inbetween to reduce fresnel interference means there is NO WAY to bridge 2 locations that far away, except from satellite).
    The VPS stuff will also not work because the upload to it will still be very slow.
    There can be 2 solutions:
    1. Buy the same software for primary editor;
    2. Carry over the data with a portable hdd or a few SD cards by any means possible and feasible.
    M

• have you looked into upgrading speed dsl, satellite internet, cable internet if fibre not available? One company here sells 2 dsl lines with load balancing router to get 2x speed which would at least help get those smaller 2gb transfers done in a few hours even if 512kbps each which maybe an option for you

• jhjh Member

Post a disk - it's quicker.

• nocomnocom Member

Sandisk Ultra Backup USB Flash Drive 64GB http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb-flash-drives/sandisk-ultra-backup-usb-flash-drive
    Send via Post - Send via bus driver - send via friend driving that direction
    Also you can install video editing software http://download.cnet.com/windows/video-editing-software/?filter=licenseName="Free"|&filterName=facetName[searchFacet.Name.value]%3DFree| and video convertr software http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/
    install VNC server on remote PC - run VNC from your PC over internet and do what you want on remote PC.

Thanked by 1mrm2005

VNC wont help if the data is not there, it still has to be transported.
    M

• Besudes video over VNC over 512Kbps DSL...

• nocomnocom Member

I guess data is on remote location

@Raymii said: He edits and produces them - he tapes bands

I do that couple times over internet with VNC and TeamViewer , i can transfer video from vhs tape to PC with remote desktop software .

@rds100 said: Besudes video over VNC over 512Kbps DSL...

video not going in full over VNC 256k upload speed do job and for vnc upload speed is relevant when editing software work on remote location.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited March 2012

@Raymii said: we transfer back and forth because I have other editing software.

Give him a pirate copy of the editing software you have, problem solved.

Thanked by 1djvdorp

@nocom said: I guess data is on remote location

Yes, but the editing software is not there, so we are back to square one.
    M

• nocomnocom Member

read my previous post - i forget to say install on remote location video editing and convert software - sorry

edited March 2012

In the end it all depends on whether travelling with a hdd is incovenient enough to be worth hundreds of dollars on video editing software. I usually settle for the OS and drop high end features, after all, I am not a Pro.
    Best, tho, would be a higher speed, it takes on night to transfer 100 GB to my friend 2 KM away, since I already have a server and he also (runs a karaoke show and puts online the videos ppl recorded) I just plug an USB drive to the server and start ftping for half the speed, it is all done before morning so I can unplug the hdd to save power.
    M

• nocomnocom Member

Sorry Maounique you didnt look at links - all software is free and i say that i have experience with all this - you dont need to pay or use pirated software for video editing or converting to do job. Edit or convert video over remote desktop is fastest way to do job even with slow computer on remote location and with no money involved. You must only learn how to use remote desktop software.

edited March 2012

Trust me, I am well aware of remote administration (command line AND remote desktop), however, you didnt understand the premise of all this.
    At point A, someone is recording some videos and has OS software for basic editing. However, that is not enough for his needs and has to process further in location B where the more advanced software is.
    Now, with VNC wont be possible to process it in location B because the data (videos) is not there ! He has to send somehow the data at point B and the 512 kbps upload doesnt help much.
    M

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited March 2012
  • nocomnocom Member

If you move (or install new) software from B to A you have full platform but maybe slow PC - even with slow pc all job will be done faster then anything else and user B will learn just looking whats happening on desktop.
    ,,I am well aware of remote administration,, you think team viwer server will stole your data or what or VNC is unsafe? - or maybe person A(My old man) dont believe person B with remote desktop software install
    Please dont reply something you never used or you dont know - im using remote console-desktop or whatever for last 22years (with no lost ever on both sides) and i have knowledge with video software from first was published. No hard feelings but I guess you dont know how to install WIN7 on remote PC or how all hosting biz,google, irc, nagios works or any big website(run tcpview or what you want and you will see where is your privacy and maybe your data) - you are responsible for your own security .
    Regards

I am not sure if this :

@nocom said: ,,I am well aware of remote administration,, you think team viwer server will stole your data or what or VNC is unsafe? - or maybe person A(My old man) dont believe person B with remote desktop software install

is addressed to me, since only the begining is from me, rest I dont know where from, but this has nothing to do with trust. If the data you will process is not on the remotely controlled computer, you cant process it, no matter how good the SW and the remote control software. Here is the BW limitation, VNC, RDP, TW, whatever, cant do anything to speed up the data transfer.
    M

• nocomnocom Member

@Raymii said: My old man is into movie editing, he tapes bands <

---This is location A - tapes are at old man location no need to send anywhere
    ---location B ,,I sometimes convert it, or do other stuff with the edit material ,, in meantime material get big (HD) both stuck with transfer problem.

Yes, so, at location B, whoever has to connect remotely to location A and do the editing, right ? Wont be possible because location A doesnt have the software and location B doesnt have the data. No matter what remote access software is used.
    M

• nocomnocom Member

Location B will install software to Location A using remote desktop software
    already explained that

edited March 2012

And you dont understand that software is not available in location A. It seems that A does not run a Mac or the right OS for it or it is simply too expensive. It is not the problem of installing anything because the person from B goes over there regularly, they would have installed it already if it was possible/feasible.
    M

• nocomnocom Member

No need to run Mac for doing anything with video data, if person B going regularly then they dont have problem. Main problem is that person B insist on transfer over internet which is impossible with that speed and dont have experience with installing software and using remote desktop on A location .We dont know location A OS and spec of that PC.
    BTW here is another solution: Person B will go with nas server to friend with better speed and transfer data from that location.

This discussion has been closed.