Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Show that you know how to search on Google and win hosting worth 50 EUR!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Show that you know how to search on Google and win hosting worth 50 EUR!

FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep
edited December 2023 in Help

Hey!

After an hour ago we had a new reboot of the servers caused by an interruption in the supply of electricity, we again reached the point where I would impulsively buy a new UPS that costs ~ 600 EUR but which will also have a internal consumption of a few KWh per week + a limited number of sockets, compared to the solution we currently have based on the Growatt SPF 5000 ES inverter and 4x 1.2KWh batteries that guarantee us 3 hours online at the current energy consumption .

I did a new test this morning and the conclusion is clear:

• if I suddenly turn off the voltage by lowering the fuses between the grid and the inverter, the batteries come in instantly and we have 0 downtime
  • if the energy stops at the grid level, the batteries enter approximately one second later than they should and at least 4/7 equipment ends up being restarted.

What do I want you to do?
Browse through all the sources available on google to discover which is the register through which you can set the minimum voltage at which the batteries will automatically do their work, currently suspecting that only when it reaches 0 Volts is the transfer made to the battery supply.
Your keywords should include the inverter model -> Growatt SPF 5000ES.

What do I offer?
50 EUR credit on HAZI.ro to buy hosting services in Romania. This can mean a dedicated server for a month or a VPS for a year or so :)

Comments

• CHATGPT is well-suited for such requirements.

1.Conducting a Google search for all device models and parameters.
    2.Clearly articulate your requirements and conclusions to enable ChatGPT to provide the best answers and recommendations.
    3.For many individuals unfamiliar with circuits, ChatGPT4 is better suited for this task, and you can achieve this goal for just $20 using ChatGPT4.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

Thanks, but unfortunately it's not what we were looking for.
    The settings for switching from the batteries back to the mains are also available in the manual, but the settings for the reverse switch from the mains to the batteries are hidden if we refer to the mains voltage values, that's why I asked about the registers because they are not clearly defined that way how are the other values that have a predefined name/values as batteries have.

Thanked by 1shajeeafzal

I admit, I'm stupid!
    1000 times I looked over the configuration manual of the inverter but I never looked like I looked today when I put this award.
    I think I solved the problem because the inverter has a setting where you tell it where the voltage comes from and I always had APL/GEN but never UPS, now looking at what the 3 settings refer to, namely what is the acceptable threshold before switching to battery.
    So, until 2 minutes ago, only when 90V was reached, the switch was made to the batteries, which was obviously far too little, but from now on, the switch will be made to 170V and this will not cause any more downtimes, I hope.
    Thanks everyone anyway!

Thanked by 2shajeeafzal ralf
  • Thanked by 3niranjan host_c sasslik
  • @FlorinMarian said:
    I admit, I'm stupid!
    1000 times I looked over the configuration manual of the inverter but I never looked like I looked today when I put this award.
    I think I solved the problem because the inverter has a setting where you tell it where the voltage comes from and I always had APL/GEN but never UPS, now looking at what the 3 settings refer to, namely what is the acceptable threshold before switching to battery.
    So, until 2 minutes ago, only when 90V was reached, the switch was made to the batteries, which was obviously far too little, but from now on, the switch will be made to 170V and this will not cause any more downtimes, I hope.
    Thanks everyone anyway!

Congrats on winning 50 EUR credit on HAZI.ro to buy hosting service.

WOW!

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • show proof of handing 50 EUR over to the winner.

• show proof of 50 EUR

• davidedavide Member
    edited December 2023

I had the same problem with my ups. Grid interruptions would often fail to trigger the ups in time, but switching the mains off would work fine. The problem was solved by replacing the power supply on the computer, and I believe, as I told you a thousand times, that the regulators in your psu's are beyond their capacity.

@davide said:
    I had the same problem with my ups. Grid interruptions would often fail to trigger the ups in time, but switching the mains off would work fine. The problem was solved by replacing the power supply on the computer, and I believe, as I told you a thousand times, that the regulators in your psu are beyond their capacity.

Thanks for the feedback, but with everything with capacitors, I can't assure that at 90V I can cope when I have a consumption of up to 500W per PSU.
    I will avoid this experiment by buying a new PSU for a few hundred dollars, I'd rather get a UPS directly, but it remains to be seen whether or not we'll be able to cope with 170V, which is still almost double the scenario in the past.

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited December 2023

I didnt go into detail of the post but i think something like this can help u. I use it between my ups & mains supply

I can manually set under and over voltage cut off values, deciding when ups kicks in. Handles upto 63 amperes and also comes in three phase. Very good lil device.

• @raza19 said:
    I didnt go into detail of the post but i think something like this can help u. I use it between my ups & mains supply

I can manually set under and over voltage cut off values, deciding when ups kicks in. Handles upto 63 amperes and also comes in three phase. Very good lil device.

and it fits in the budget for $7, I bought mine for $5 with a coupon :D

Thanked by 1raza19
    edited December 2023

@raza19 said:

It seems interesting, but I can't figure out how the installation diagram would look for the infrastructure we already have.

Later edit: Anyway, according to https://www.leadergroup-cn.com/product/digital-voltage-protector-adjustable-over-under-voltage-protector :smile:

Cut-off Value Of Under Voltage Action: 170±5 V AC
    Cut-off Value Of Over Voltage Action: 260~270 V AC

So, our Inverter will do this job already since it is set up to move to battery at 170V.

• @cybertech said:
    show proof of handing 50 EUR over to the winner.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@yasmeen said:
    show proof of 50 EUR

Plot twist: the actual winner is the guard dog.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • davidedavide Member
    edited December 2023

@yoursunny said:

@yasmeen said:
    show proof of 50 EUR

Plot twist: the actual winner is the guard dog.

I propose that Florin live streams himself messing around with mains wires o:)
    and sticking the fingers in the fuse box.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@davide said: I propose that Florin live streams himself messing around with mains wires

Auction start!

I will pay 69.69 euros for this

Thanked by 1host_c
  • @FlorinMarian said:
    It seems interesting, but I can't figure out how the installation diagram would look for the infrastructure we already have.

Later edit: Anyway, according to https://www.leadergroup-cn.com/product/digital-voltage-protector-adjustable-over-under-voltage-protector :smile:

Cut-off Value Of Under Voltage Action: 170±5 V AC
    Cut-off Value Of Over Voltage Action: 260~270 V AC

So, our Inverter will do this job already since it is set up to move to battery at 170V.

My UPS has the same exact cut out at 170V but I didn't want to subject my electronics to this low voltage, some of them are very sensitive and although they will continue to function at lower voltages the longevity becomes questionable. I prefer to spend battery cycles than subject my electronics to high currents/low voltage. Also, while ur wiring is designed for a higher threshold than an appliance's rated amperage, exposing them for prolonged periods of time to lower voltages and higher currents will result in heat losses i.e. higher utility bill and shortened life span.

My brother already messed up for me:

Thanked by 2yoursunny ralf
  • AndreiGhesiAndreiGhesi Member
    edited December 2023

@FlorinMarian said:
    I admit, I'm stupid!

Finally you realize. I told you 3 months ago.

Thanked by 2host_c Calin

@AndreiGhesi said:

@FlorinMarian said:
    I admit, I'm stupid!

Finally you realize. I told you 3 month ago.

I'm glad I could make your day better

Thanked by 1host_c
  • 🫡

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@FlorinMarian said: o, until 2 minutes ago, only when 90V was reached, the switch was made to the batteries, which was obviously far too little, but from now on, the switch will be made to 170V and this will not cause any more downtimes, I hope.

170 is way too low for what you have there, go for 200V.

what @raza19 suggested is OK, that is for 1 Phase, if you have a 3 phase:

https://www.bitmi.ro/releu-trifazat-de-protectie-63a-open-optp1-63-10238.html?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA98WrBhAYEiwA2WvhOs-sbNYI9K_5xHJYlcvRivbnwu26PLlA8smUUfxZ1MjBNJVckfnS0RoCSu4QAvD_BwE

The device is simple, in and out, and you set cut-off values, min 200V, max 255V

either you go for the 1 Phase or 3 Phase.

These devices are simple inside, a volt-meter and some have AMP meter inside, depending on the model you buy.

Installment is between the MAINS and Inverter in your case. Bonus is that when the MAINS/GRID comes back, you can set a delay, usually 10sec until they switch back on, and thus your inverter goes from batteries to mains.

@Calin +0.01 to your bid :smile:

Thanked by 2FlorinMarian ralf
  • @Calin said:

@davide said: I propose that Florin live streams himself messing around with mains wires

Auction start!

I will pay 69.69 euros for this

Bruh, that’s not how you get rid of competition

@host_c said:

@FlorinMarian said: o, until 2 minutes ago, only when 90V was reached, the switch was made to the batteries, which was obviously far too little, but from now on, the switch will be made to 170V and this will not cause any more downtimes, I hope.

170 is way too low for what you have there, go for 200V.

what @raza19 suggested is OK, that is for 1 Phase, if you have a 3 phase:

https://www.bitmi.ro/releu-trifazat-de-protectie-63a-open-optp1-63-10238.html?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA98WrBhAYEiwA2WvhOs-sbNYI9K_5xHJYlcvRivbnwu26PLlA8smUUfxZ1MjBNJVckfnS0RoCSu4QAvD_BwE

The device is simple, in and out, and you set cut-off values, min 200V, max 255V

either you go for the 1 Phase or 3 Phase.

These devices are simple inside, a volt-meter and some have AMP meter inside, depending on the model you buy.

Installment is between the MAINS and Inverter in your case. Bonus is that when the MAINS/GRID comes back, you can set a delay, usually 10sec until they switch back on, and thus your inverter goes from batteries to mains.

@Calin +0.01 to your bid :smile:

If it really will be too little, I will know what to buy.
    Until proven otherwise, the fact that the inverter has that limit for a purpose, the relay above which we know for sure works and also has 170V, gives me a little courage.

• davidedavide Member
    edited December 2023

That deduction would lead to the opposite conclusion. Whatever.

I'll pray for you @FlorinMarian.

Yep, and don't forget to live stream the snuff the upgrade video!!

• davidedavide Member
    edited December 2023

170V is 3/4 of 230V, which is the value of the 4-period RMS moving average after a full wave passes without voltage. The detection and intervention time of this thing is likely longer than whatever you already have in the UPSes. UPS relays are fast, this is not.

Thanked by 1host_c

@davide said:
    170V is 3/4 of 230V, which is the value of the 4-period RMS moving average after a full wave passes without voltage. The detection and intervention time of this thing is likely longer than whatever you already have in the UPSes. UPS relays are fast, this is not.

Let's wait for the next blackout and we'll find out.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

"Let's wait for the next blackout and we'll find out."

@Calin , let's prepare some promos for black-out customers, like a refugee black-out specials.

Thanked by 1Calin
  • CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@host_c said: @Calin , let's prepare some promos for black-out customers, like a refugee black-out specials.

>

Right now i'm calculate the free resources

Thanked by 1host_c