Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone migrated from Apple Photos to Nextcloud or other self hosted solution?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has anyone migrated from Apple Photos to Nextcloud or other self hosted solution?

Since I self host almost everything I am thinking to migrate my photo library too (225GB). Has anyone here done this? I am curious to hear what problems you have had or still have with your new setup, and what you are using now, if Nextcloud or else. I was thinking of Nextcloud because I already have it and it has mobile apps which IIRC should support automatic upload of photos to NC. But if there is something better for photos I'm all ears.

Thanked by 1deva5610

Comments

• Why do you want to move?

iCloud is my primary photo solution. I also use immich but nothing will ever replace iCloud for my phone because of how seamless it is. Especially sometimes apps don’t really function well with background backups on ios.

• @Astro said:
    Why do you want to move?

iCloud is my primary photo solution. I also use immich but nothing will ever replace iCloud for my phone because of how seamless it is. Especially sometimes apps don’t really function well with background backups on ios.

I like to self host stuff and the photos are the only "big" thing remaining :)

• @Astro said:
    Why do you want to move?

Just checked Immich and it looks nice. So you duplicate photos between iCloud and Immich?

• @Astro said:
    Why do you want to move?

he doesn't want to, he just likes to start a new topic on the forum

• edited December 2023

Maybe checkout https://sye.dk/sfpg/ It's super easy. Not much (or rather any) fluff though. All you'd need to do is massdownload your images while somehow organizing them into directories.

• @vitobotta said:

@Astro said:
    Why do you want to move?

Just checked Immich and it looks nice. So you duplicate photos between iCloud and Immich?

It’s the only viable alternative to Google photos today.

• I tried photoprism recently, and found it not bad at all.

Quite resource-hungry when importing. But it does a lot of things, face recognition, labelling depending on what's in the photo.
    But clearly, mobile clients aren't great.

I'm doing the opposite. I'm thinking of kicking out my nextcloud instance and subscribing to one of the big cloud services.

• I second photoprism, but I figured nextlcoud can do similar things with memories and facial recognition. As I'm an Android user (w/o Google Photos), this is rarely important for me, if at all.

And photoprism is freemium, which I don't really like either

Thanked by 1licher70
  • @bench said:

@Astro said:
    Why do you want to move?

There's a slight chance that he will actually move it. Like 2%. And then a week later open a new thread about moving stuff away from the Nextcloud. That's @vitobotta in a nutshell.

• @bench said:

@Astro said:
    Why do you want to move?

@FranzVonVirMach said:

@bench said:

@Astro said:
    Why do you want to move?

There's a slight chance that he will actually move it. Like 2%. And then a week later open a new thread about moving stuff away from the Nextcloud. That's @vitobotta in a nutshell.

I am fucking tired of morons like you who keep attacking me for opening threads as if I was spamming or something. What the hell is wrong with these threads? Get a life.

• edited December 2023

@vitobotta said: Get a life.

Me? :)
    Why don't you open one thread for all your unresolved daily issues and dilemmas?

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • LeeLee Veteran

I prefer to have everything on iCloud as it works well and provides additional functionality on Apple devices. Still, I also have Google One installed on phones, so they are being backed up elsewhere, and then it all transfers to my local NAS.

• After several years of mirroring multiple hard drives, and trying Plex, I decided to move all personal photos & videos to Synology DS224+. I’m now in the market to buy at a pair of 10TB+ WD red pro HDs. Unfortunately, prices of HDs suck at the moment.

• I'm trying to use Photostructure as an alternative to Google Photos. It's pretty decent. Its duplicate detection is very good - it detects dupes even if they're different sizes, different JPEG quality, etc. I imported a Google Photos export and a bunch of random photo folders across various drives and SD cards and it sorted them all out.

• Immich is good, though as they mention it is still in active development, and recent - v1.88 I think had a few breaking changes.
    Otherwise, it words great! I set it up for my family and we have about 350GB photos and videos on it.
    Alas, though I make sure to run photo duplicate remover before migrating all my files, the rest of my family haven't done that, now I run a dedup with symlinks on it.

• danblazedanblaze Member
    edited December 2023

Honestly the Album App from Synology is the best to use.

If you don't mind running it in some quirky way - like vdsm version 7.2 inside docker - then everything works fine.

If you're willing to consider a paid model, QNAP has a cloud version that charges by the number of cpu's, but it's reasonably priced.

For IOS, most 3rd party self-hosted stuff doesn't have a way to silently backup in the background, which is a pain in the ass.

• I have tried nextcloud extensively and many more others, but i finally settled with immich and i use photoview also (used photoprism etc too)

the best thing about self-hosting is, you can try multiple apps at a time against single photo storage (i.e. a folder or gallery or anything)

i use immich and photoview on same source, immich is better and photoview is not that great (poor face recognition) but you can try many other too.

just use docker and try out all...

• I am definitely going with Immich after reading so many positive comments and reviews. I am now waiting for an update to a ticket from Bero Host to add more storage to my VPS to do the migration. Do you guys still use iCloud/Google Photos anyway as primary storage or have you gotten rid of them altogether?

Thanked by 1lala_th
  • @vitobotta said:
    I am definitely going with Immich after reading so many positive comments and reviews. I am now waiting for an update to a ticket from Bero Host to add more storage to my VPS to do the migration. Do you guys still use iCloud/Google Photos anyway as primary storage or have you gotten rid of them altogether?

What's the price of their storage extension?
    I'm thinking of buying a server from them if they make an offer within the month.

• Google photos to nextcloud. Regretting it ever since.

• vitobottavitobotta Member
    edited December 2023

@remy said:

@vitobotta said:
    I am definitely going with Immich after reading so many positive comments and reviews. I am now waiting for an update to a ticket from Bero Host to add more storage to my VPS to do the migration. Do you guys still use iCloud/Google Photos anyway as primary storage or have you gotten rid of them altogether?

I'm thinking of buying a server from them if they make an offer within the month.

Only 7e/mo for additional 300GB! I think it's pretty good. So the new specs of the server will be

• 8 EPYC cores
    • 24 GB of RAM
    • 720 GB NVME storage
    • 1 Gbps (I think, can't remember)
    • 25 TB traffic

Total 17e/mo

It's IMO pretty good and the server has been excellent in terms of performance. This provider was a nice discovery :)

• @raza19 said:
    Google photos to nextcloud. Regretting it ever since.

I haven't read good things about Nextcloud's photo management so I can guess

• remyremy Member
    edited December 2023

@vitobotta said:

@remy said:

@vitobotta said:

Only 7e/mo for additional 300GB! I think it's pretty good. So the new specs of the server will be

• 8 EPYC cores
    • 24 GB of RAM
    • 720 GB NVME storage
    • 25 TB traffic

Total 17e/mo

It's IMO pretty good and the server has been excellent in terms of performance. This provider was a nice discovery :)

You're getting a bit bourgeois, storing photos on nvme disks ;)
    Considering the initial price of the offer with plenty of disk space and very high performance. It's a great price for the whole package.
    Maybe I'll get another chance to pick one....

Or maybe @Advin will find some stock for me before I can pick one. Who knows.

• @vitobotta said: Do you guys still use iCloud/Google Photos anyway as primary storage or have you gotten rid of them altogether?

I still use google photos as i spoof my device as pixel so i get unlimited photos storage.

but i have many complains (besides many great things) about google photos and immich has/trying to solve such issues.

for example: i want to add DOB of all people so i can get reminders or generate a collage etc so i can wish people

organizing albums as my folder structure, with google photos, we have to create albums and add pics manually.

• @remy said:

@vitobotta said:

@remy said:

@vitobotta said:

• 8 EPYC cores
    • 24 GB of RAM
    • 720 GB NVME storage
    • 25 TB traffic

Total 17e/mo

You're getting a bit bourgeois, storing photos on nvme disks ;)
    Considering the initial price of the offer with plenty of disk space and very high performance. It's a great price for the whole package.
    Maybe I'll get another chance to pick one....

Or maybe @Advin will find some stock for me before I can pick one. Who knows.

Yeah I don't think I have seen a comparable offer so far.

• Just set up Immich and am now using the CLI tool to upload my photo library. Estimated 9h so it's not too bad. It's already recognising faces wow.

• @vitobotta said:
    Just set up Immich and am now using the CLI tool to upload my photo library. Estimated 9h so it's not too bad. It's already recognising faces wow.

Doesn't it rename and reorganize all of the files? What would you do if you want to change to something else? I'm also interested in Immich, but scared about that.

• I have everything on a dedicated server from OVH running ONLY nextcloud.
    4 x 3.6TB in raid1 ( I'm a freak I know )
    Create your partitions and prepare the mount dir prior to installing NEXTCLOUD.
    So when you get to the install part, you data dir should be /mnt/raid1allharddisk or whatever.
    Otherwise your data dir will be in www/html/nextcloud/data so on your OS disk.
    I do recommend avoiding that.
    Plus you have a nextcloud app for your phone, so when you get home, turn on the wifi and forget about it ...
    If you encounter any probs DM me ( I installed more than a couple of these bastards and pretty sure I know my way around it by now ).
    Best of luck

Thanked by 1cpsd
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@vitobotta said:

@bench said:

@Astro said:
    Why do you want to move?

@FranzVonVirMach said:

@bench said:

@Astro said:
    Why do you want to move?

I am fucking tired of morons like you who keep attacking me for opening threads as if I was spamming or something. What the hell is wrong with these threads? Get a life.

Ignore the haters! I actually enjoy your threads :)

On topic .. I have tried numerous times to move away from icloud. However, I always come back as I just love the simplicity of having everything just working as expected.

Thanked by 1Astro
  • I tried many solutions including nextcloud and finally settled to synology photos as it offer face and even object recognition. It has good mobile apps.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog