Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use to host your photos - personal files? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use to host your photos - personal files?

2»

Comments

• fanfan Veteran

I bought a lifetime Unraid license, and it's working pretty well.

• @josephf said:

@kidrock said:

@host4cheap said:

@josephf said:

@host4cheap said:
    Microsoft 365 bought through Friends and Family costs 20$ per year for 6 users (1TB each )

$20 per user or $20 for six users?

20$ for 6 users

Bought via Argentina trick?
    Turkey tricks will cost around $10 instead of $99 😉

Is Argentina better than Turkey?

Microsoft Family plan is same all over the world. There are a few tricks that by using certain country's VPN, you can buy the same plan at a very low price.

• My country is not supported by Apple, so I have to use a supported country to make purchase in App store. I selected turkey. Google 2 TB cost me around $21(600 lira) yearly. Mega 16 TB plan cost around $45(1300 lira) yearly. OneDrive personal cost around $0.58 monthly. Dropbox professional 3 TB plan cost 700 lira yearly which is around $24.3

My primary device is Android & Windows. I make purchase through my iPad but use them on Android & Windows. I store original copy of my photo, videos & others data on external drive, desktop & Mega. Photos & Videos on Google photos at compressed quality to view & sharing.

• @Hakim said:
    My country is not supported by Apple, so I have to use a supported country to make purchase in App store. I selected turkey. Google 2 TB cost me around $21(600 lira) yearly. Mega 16 TB plan cost around $45(1300 lira) yearly. OneDrive personal cost around $0.58 monthly. Dropbox professional 3 TB plan cost 700 lira yearly which is around $24.3

My primary device is Android & Windows. I make purchase through my iPad but use them on Android & Windows. I store original copy of my photo, videos & others data on external drive, desktop & Mega. Photos & Videos on Google photos at compressed quality to view & sharing.

Even if I use a VPN mega.io doesnt show me that pricing! How does that work?

• @Astro said:

@Hakim said:
    My country is not supported by Apple, so I have to use a supported country to make purchase in App store. I selected turkey. Google 2 TB cost me around $21(600 lira) yearly. Mega 16 TB plan cost around $45(1300 lira) yearly. OneDrive personal cost around $0.58 monthly. Dropbox professional 3 TB plan cost 700 lira yearly which is around $24.3

Services can't update prices constantly; you'll need to wait for the next significant drop in the Turkish lira after the price change but before the next correction.

• @bench said:

@Astro said:

@Hakim said:

Services can't update prices constantly; you'll need to wait for the next significant drop in the Turkish lira after the price change but before the next correction.

In terms of conversion it’s showing exactly the price in my country. Google drive is cheaper that for me via turkey.

• @gbzret4d said:

@user123 said:

@gbzret4d said:
    im also using google drive 2TB for 9€ per YEAR

How?

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/google-one-2tb-vpn-turkey-4151383

Thanks for sharing. I guess it could be fine if you aren't sharing the space with anyone IRL (all family member accounts must have the same country) and you're not attached to the Google email address, inbox, or data you have stored unless you are keeping updated backups and don't have any other site accounts tied to it (in case Google decides to close accounts).

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited December 2023

@Astro said:

‏Those tricks only work with some VPN services, sometimes. It's often very easy to tell you're using a VPN/datacenter/non-residential IP address using simple DNS checks even if your IP isn't already blacklisted in those fraud-check kind of databases. A VPN isn't a magic.

• gbzret4dgbzret4d Member
    edited December 2023

@farsighter said:

@Astro said:

‏Those tricks only work with some VPN services, sometimes. It's often very easy to tell you're using a VPN/datacenter/non-residential IP address using simple DNS checks even if your IP isn't already blacklisted in those fraud-check kind of databases. A VPN isn't a magic.

Its working with the most free vpn addons atleast for google drive

• @Astro said: Even if I use a VPN mega.io doesnt show me that pricing! How does that work?

No VPN needed. I had to create billing account to make purchase on App store. My country is not in the supported list, so I selected Turkey. Now all the app store/in-app purchase are in Turkish lira.
    Here's Dropbox Turkish app store link: https://apps.apple.com/tr/app/dropbox-cloud-photo-storage/id327630330
    You can check country based App store pricing by changing country code from app store app link using desktop browser.

• I don't use any Cloud storage. I do a lot of video work and being on ADSL the upload speed is too slow. Plus it's an ongoing cost and I don't trust the companies.

I backup onto 8Tb external drives which are kept disconnected and away from the PCs. And anything important is on at at least one BD-R disc, often two, and I try to use different brands. I've been doing this since 1998 and the days of CDs. Most backups are encrypted with Truecrypt/Ciphershed. The whole harddrive or a 25Gb container on the BR-Rs.

The only major issue I had was a long time ago when a hard drive failed and then by coincidence the back up also failed before everything was copied over. But anything important was on DVD discs.

Over the years I'd had few problems with optical media and the second back up disc has worked. I believe people who have lots of issues, don't write the discs properly in the first place.

I like optical discs because once done they can sit in a tub for the next ten years with no ongoing cost, no security risk and no chance of being deleted. The fact that Windows 10 deletes any file it takes a dislike to (unless you add the drive to be excluded) scares the hell out of me and has undermined my trust in Windows.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Oh I keep all my photos in

Nice try 🤣

• @RFord said:
    I don't use any Cloud storage. I do a lot of video work and being on ADSL the upload speed is too slow. Plus it's an ongoing cost and I don't trust the companies.

I backup onto 8Tb external drives which are kept disconnected and away from the PCs. And anything important is on at at least one BD-R disc, often two, and I try to use different brands. I've been doing this since 1998 and the days of CDs. Most backups are encrypted with Truecrypt/Ciphershed. The whole harddrive or a 25Gb container on the BR-Rs.

The only major issue I had was a long time ago when a hard drive failed and then by coincidence the back up also failed before everything was copied over. But anything important was on DVD discs.

Over the years I'd had few problems with optical media and the second back up disc has worked. I believe people who have lots of issues, don't write the discs properly in the first place.

I like optical discs because once done they can sit in a tub for the next ten years with no ongoing cost, no security risk and no chance of being deleted. The fact that Windows 10 deletes any file it takes a dislike to (unless you add the drive to be excluded) scares the hell out of me and has undermined my trust in Windows.

In case of fire, you lose everything, if I understand correctly?
    After all, it's the best way to have everything on storage disks at home...but without remote backups, that seems optimistic.

Thanked by 1RFord
  • RFordRFord Member
    edited December 2023

I have tubs of discs in the shed at the top of the garden. So that is somewhat remote. Very unlikely the house would burn down and the shed. I used to live between two places. It was easy to have discs in different locations then.

As I have loads of books, tapes and other physical stuff a fire would definitely be a disaster.

In case of fire, you lose everything, if I understand correctly?
    After all, it's the best way to have everything on storage disks at home...but without remote backups, that seems optimistic.

• onlyfans

Thanked by 1RFord