Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use to host your photos - personal files?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use to host your photos - personal files?

remyremy Member
edited December 2023 in General

I currently use nextcloud but I still have some files on google drive.

On the storage side I use the s3 backend with regular backups to a cold storage solution.
It used to be fairly inexpensive, but as the number of files increases, it becomes more and more expensive.

Knowing that these are crucial files for me, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be safer using a managed solution (Google drive, One drive, pcloud ....).
And it would also be simpler.

I have the impression that nowadays, with all the media being digitized, most people aren't well organized in this respect.
By this I mean providing for the family to have access to administrative documents and photos in the event of a sudden death, for example.

I've done a bit of asking around.
Many people interested in technology have a NAS at home, but external backups are often neglected.
Less technical people usually take out an annual google one subscription.

So where do you host your personal files?
Which services do you recommend?

Comments

• Microsoft 365 bought through Friends and Family costs 20$ per year for 6 users (1TB each )

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • @host4cheap said:
    Microsoft 365 bought through Friends and Family costs 20$ per year for 6 users (1TB each )

It's true that I hadn't thought of a family subscription, but I'll discuss it with my family.
    This could be a good solution

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

Not photos, but I save my videos to [censored]hub.com
    Turned out you can even earn money from saving them there instead of paying for cloud storage! B)

• @Ian_Dot_Tech said:
    Turned out you can even earn money from saving them there instead of paying for cloud storage! B)

Can we put mountain videos there too?
    After all, there are fetishists for everything. :*

• https://sye.dk/sfpg/ is very light and easy. At least for my minimal needs it's pretty much perfect.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

My photos are auto-uploaded to Seafile or Dropbox.
    Every few months I upload them to Facebook (public albums) and then move the files to a USB HDD attached to my home router.
    The HDD is making weird noise at night, do I need to worry?

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2023

I avoid sending photos to social media. I don't know what the social platform does with them (Meta, X, Google, or whatever) or what some evil third party could use them for. Now with investments in AI, I don't want to have my photos used for that either (even though my effort won't help, but at least I play my part for privacy).

I store my photos on multiple external HDDs. I got them for cheap on online stores, and I use the same data stored on separate drives for redundancy. The external HDDs are stored in an army metal box which normally was used for bullets, just to simulate a Faraday Cage.

With regards to cloud, I have a lifetime plan from Koofr on which I also store the data encrypted using Cryptomator.

All this sorting and redundancy of data is done once a year, every year. Meanwhile a single HDD is used from time to time, during the year, to backup photos, just in case my phone is stolen or something bad happens to it.

In my opinion cold storage is still the best solution, because I care about my privacy and my anonymity, as much as I can have it in these troubled times of corrupted people who literally want to show how they control the world by playing with wars.

• @host4cheap said:
    Microsoft 365 bought through Friends and Family costs 20$ per year for 6 users (1TB each )

What tier is that? Link please. I thought it's only 100GB for that price (aka basic plan).

• edited December 2023

@default said:
    In my opinion cold storage is still the best solution, because I care about my privacy and my anonymity, as much as I can have it in these troubled times of corrupted people who literally want to show how they control the world through playing with wars.

I pretty much agree with you. If one actually has to use external cloud storage something like ecryptfs might be somewhat of a middle ground but i am personally wouldn't trust it. Having the content encrypted would pretty much erase any convenience features the online storage might have anyways.

To this day i couldn't even convince myself to use a selfhosted IMAP server since i think my eMails are better stored offline, even though there is very little inside them that would be even the slightest bit interesting.

Anything in my image gallery is stuff i want to share with the world anyways, so it's not a big deal if anything leaks.

Thanked by 1default
  • Right now I just have an android phone flashed with custom rom that spoofs a pixel phone to get google photos unlimited. Then I just periodically sync photos to that phone.

Will try Immich when I get the time to do so or when they're aren't anymore major changes.

• host4cheaphost4cheap Member
    edited December 2023

@farsighter said:

@host4cheap said:

What tier is that? Link please. I thought it's only 100GB for that price (aka basic plan).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/buy/microsoft-365

Family plan is 99$ normally but 20$ if bought using Friends and Family

• @host4cheap said:

@farsighter said:

@host4cheap said:

Family plan

Prices are not the same in Europe and the United States
    It's more like $99
    Unless you've specified the price per person.

• @remy said:

@host4cheap said:

@farsighter said:

@host4cheap said:

Family plan

It's more like $99

• @host4cheap said:

@remy said:

@host4cheap said:

@farsighter said:

@host4cheap said:

Family plan

It's more like $99

It looks like you just ignored their question and repeated what you said before without explaining what "bought using Friends and Family" means.

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • @Ian_Dot_Tech said:

You beat meat to it

• host4cheaphost4cheap Member
    edited December 2023

@user123 said:

@host4cheap said:

It looks like you just ignored their question and repeated what you said before without explaining what "bought using Friends and Family" means.

It means if you have a friend or family working for Microsoft, they can invite you Microsoft Store where all this is sold at a discount. Each employee can invite 10 people and each invited person can buy 250$ worth of stuff on the store.
    Additionally, employees can also buy something to pass on and their limits are different.

Thanked by 3user123 remy farsighter
  • @host4cheap said:

$20 per user or $20 for six users?

• @josephf said:

@host4cheap said:

20$ for 6 users

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2023

@yoursunny said:
    My photos are auto-uploaded to Seafile or Dropbox.
    Every few months I upload them to Facebook (public albums) and then move the files to a USB HDD attached to my home router.
    The HDD is making weird noise at night, do I need to worry?

I have seen and hear HDD's that did sing the song of the end of the world.
    Despite that, they still worked fine and SMART said they are fine.

Don't believe what you hear.
    SMART never lies, ever.

However, if you believe what you hearing, then pull all important files off the drive asap.
    Don't try to clone it or put any not necessary load on it.

Pull the most important files first then pull the rest and go to the church to pray.

Thanked by 2yoursunny ariq01
  • Onedrive with 365 family subscription shared among 6 friends.

• @host4cheap said:

It means if you have a friend or family working for Microsoft, they can invite you Microsoft Store where all this is sold at a discount.

Nice deal. Unfortunately not practical unless you invite me.

• kidrockkidrock Member
    edited December 2023

@host4cheap said:

@josephf said:

@host4cheap said:

20$ for 6 users

Bought via Argentina trick?
    Turkey tricks will cost around $10 instead of $99 😉

• I don't care too much about pictures but I am paying to Amazon Photos (+ what is included with Prime) for his service. From time to time I have to rescue one from there.

• Im using my NAS at home which is isolated in my netowrk and im also using google drive 2TB for 9€ per YEAR

• @gbzret4d said:
    im also using google drive 2TB for 9€ per YEAR

How?

Thanked by 1cpsd
  • @kidrock said:

@host4cheap said:

@josephf said:

@host4cheap said:

20$ for 6 users

Is Argentina better than Turkey?

• @josephf said:

@kidrock said:

@host4cheap said:

@josephf said:

@host4cheap said:

20$ for 6 users

Is Argentina better than Turkey?

I prefer chicken

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

Our new server in Finland has Nextcloud installed:
    https://netdynamics24.com/backup-services.php
    Contact us for details.

• @user123 said:

@gbzret4d said:
    im also using google drive 2TB for 9€ per YEAR

How?

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/google-one-2tb-vpn-turkey-4151383

Thanked by 1user123
  • Take photos using Film SLR cameras 📸, never worry anymore about storing them on the cloud.