Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean @ Singapore - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean @ Singapore

Comments

• @jbiloh because it's a strategic market, and they need to show more and more growth so they can sell the company for more money after several years?

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @jbiloh said:
    Yeah I remember reading that, but even still, why operate in such an expensive market when you can be equally successful with 1/5 the costs on the US West Coast?

Decent connectivity, easy to import, lease rates are good, government is easy to deal with. DO has a lot of nz/au customers also that may want to go up instead.

Financed on drug dealings, apparently. ;)

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@rds100 said:
    jbiloh because it's a strategic market, and they need to show more and more growth so they can sell the company for more money after several years?

Sure, they are looking to build top line revenues but what I am suggesting is that they can accomplish the same thing with better margins in other markets.

• @jbiloh yes, but the more markets for them, the better. And they are not really "global" unless they cover Asia too. I also expect them to open somewhere in South America next year.

Brazil is a real hot spot, but hard to work in. I think Singlehop ended up closing their operation down there recently, right?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited December 2013

Singlehop needs to be profitable to operate in a market. DO doesn't need profit, just number of customers.

@rds100 said:
    Singlehop needs to be profitable to operate in a market. DO doesn't need profit, just number of customers.

Why do you see them much different? Singlehop and DO are both venture funded. The difference is Singlehop has revenues of 35MM where as DO is 1/10 of that or less.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited December 2013

@jbiloh said:
    Why do you see them much different? Singlehop and DO are both venture funded. The difference is Singlehop has revenues of 35MM where as DO is 1/10 of that or less.

What he is implying is that DO is just a pump'n'dump show, wherest Singlehop is (probably) not.

@c0y said:
    What he is implying is that DO is just a pump'n'dump show, wherest Singlehop is (probably) not.

Amazing the world we live in, something that makes no money can be worth so much.

Thanked by 1jedgar
  • jedgarjedgar Member
    edited January 2014

edited.

Thanked by 1fan
  • @Mark_R said:
    i haven't seen any giveaway threads from you yet.

You need to have something to give away to make one of those threads. I do not ;)

• @jedgar said:
    For what it's worth, DO is very profitable, in fact, the announcement we'll be making towards the end of next month should help get a picture of just how profitable. :)

And yes, singapore was not cheap.

Their expansion doesn't say anything about profit at all, remember their received venture capital?

• @c0y said:

jedgar said: I am the chief technology evangelist at digitalocean. So that.

Thanked by 1jedgar
  • @Virtovo said:

Oh right, didn't read "we". Whether it's profitable or not, it's going on big sale sooner or later...

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited December 2013

@Jeffrey said:
    black Please inform me, start up money from what? Did they own another hosting business?

They (i.e. Ben / @zagi) still do own another hosting business: ServerStack: managed dedicated servers...MTV is reportedly one of their clients, and ServerStack targets the enterprise market (or as their website says "we're the provider for companies spending over $10K per month)

Uptime of their website is pretty good too according to Netcraft...

ServerStack has one of the top 10 most reliable hosting company sites.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/graph?collector=11,14,21,23,25,28,29,30,31,32,33&sd=1377993601&range=2591999&sample=8&site=www.serverstack.com

• Wow,nice!

@jedgar said:
    For what it's worth, DO is very profitable, in fact, the announcement we'll be making towards the end of next month should help get a picture of just how profitable. :)

And yes, singapore was not cheap.

Looking forward to reading it. Always good to see success. Keep it up.

• @jbiloh said:
    Looking forward to reading it. Always good to see success. Keep it up.

A couple of DO quotes from VentureBeat:

“We were adding four (data center) racks a month in the beginning of the year. Now we’re adding them at a two-day clip,”

and

The company now operates around 6,350 physical servers, up from about 5,000 at the beginning of October, Wainer said.

@DomainBop said:

I am pretty sure that is faster than rackspace :).

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

6350 servers? Wow,that's a big investment

Does Digital Ocean have their own IPs?

• @jbiloh said:

In the US, yes I think. In NL, no.

edited December 2013

Seems they have 4 ASN, and about 100K directly assigned IPs.

AS62567 Digital Ocean, Inc.

AS200130 Digital Ocean, Inc.

AS14061 Digital Ocean, Inc.

AS133165 Digital Ocean, Inc.

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • @jbiloh said:

Yes. Depending on RIR, they were probably transferred but they are all our own IPs.

• @jbiloh said:

When you are starting IPv4 reselling business :-)

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Pretty excited by this - can understand @jbiloh's concern from a business aspect, but certainly isn't something consumers can complain about :D

• Well, the service seems to be so good, that many people got concerned "How is this possible ?" :)

@liamwithers said:
    Pretty excited by this - can understand jbiloh's concern from a business aspect, but certainly isn't something consumers can complain about :D

I'm sure DO has studied the market and all factors involved and are confident in their decision to expand to such an expensive market.

• good for asian customers. Looking forward to it.