Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean @ Singapore
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean @ Singapore

Looks like DO will be launching their Singapore location next month, giving one more option to the region. I just hope that they don't follow the "weird" routing that SoftLayer SG is using.

Source = http://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digital-ocean/suggestions/4038460-hong-kong-and-japan-datacenters

Thanked by 1perennate

Comments

• Nice, singapore dc is the nearest to me.

• I will probably do a droplet in that location. Very nice.****

• Niiicee! I'm looking forward for this for sure!

• I'd like to see them expand in the UK first. :)

• I will try them if it's available, since I'm from Indonesia. Wish the ping could less than OneAsiaHost

• @eLohkCalb What's wrong with softlayer sg's routing?

• nonubynonuby Member
    edited December 2013

I've found Softlayer SG routing to be pretty good when I had a VPS there, however now using SimplerCloud, which uses SingTel and Im struggling to a find a single flaw with it. A lot of routing in SE Asia is hit and miss but given such I found Softlayer SG, AWS SG, and SimplerCloud seem to be all very good. A vpn I had on oneasiahost was painfully slow however that may of been down to the provider using (guessing) a low cost openvz plan.

• @Jeffrey said:
    I'd like to see them expand in the UK first. :)

Don't they have an Amsterdam location...?

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

@derrys

The route from China Telecom goes to US first then SG.

• @Jylee said:
    derrys

The route from China Telecom goes to US first then SG.

This will be common in SG. If you need CT/CU direct then you'll be looking at Hong Kong providers and specifically qualifying them on that.

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited December 2013

nonuby said: This will be common in SG.

Not always true. If you sign up with some if not all of the local providers, the routing are mostly direct, a good example would be OneAsiaHost.

derrys said: What's wrong with softlayer sg's routing?

3    23 ms    21 ms    53 ms  202.166.119.97
    4    20 ms    23 ms    25 ms  xe-2-0-0-3600.tp-ar09.singnet.com.sg [202.166.124.149]
    5    24 ms    23 ms    23 ms  xe-5-3-0.budweiser.singnet.com.sg [202.166.119.122]
    6    27 ms    23 ms    31 ms  ae1-0.beck.singnet.com.sg [202.166.124.234]
    7    22 ms    28 ms    28 ms  203.208.191.161
    8    25 ms    24 ms    26 ms  203.208.171.205
    9    70 ms    23 ms    21 ms  203.208.151.254
    10    59 ms    57 ms    53 ms  203.208.153.197
    11    55 ms    55 ms    55 ms  63-218-211-21.static.pccwglobal.net [63.218.211.21]
    12    89 ms    55 ms    53 ms  63-218-211-21.static.pccwglobal.net [63.218.211.21]
    13    90 ms    89 ms    57 ms  softlayer.te7-5.br02.sin02.pccwbtn.net [63.218.213.174]
    14    90 ms    57 ms    61 ms  softlayer.te7-5.br02.sin02.pccwbtn.net [63.218.213.174]
    15    56 ms    60 ms    57 ms  softlayer.te7-5.br02.sin02.pccwbtn.net [63.218.213.174]
    16     *       96 ms   114 ms  speedtest.sng01.softlayer.com [119.81.28.170]

I always get 50-90ms when connecting from SingNet, which is comparable to pings to a Hong Kong server.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I can only imagine how expensive a venture this must be for DO.

• Looking foward to it.

• I hope the price is still the same.

• I'm excited for SG, it will be a nice outlet for a lot of my free credits. I hope they don't have the same issues that they've been having at SFO, It's only available half the time I go to create a droplet =/

• pls avoid any sg dc that use SoftLayer, it will route ur taffic to japan first

• @jbiloh said:
    I can only imagine how expensive a venture this must be for DO.

Oversell to the max!

But I believe they do sit on tons of VC money from previous round.

• I'd more like tokyo or Hong Kong, lol

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2013

If anybody wants my DigitalOcean account with 49.99 credit it's yours for $40.

Can negotiate the price.

• @FtpIt_Radi said:
    If anybody wants my DigitalOcean account with 49.99 credit it's yours for $40.

Can negotiate the price.

Don't suppose you have that much credit courtesy of the Black Friday deal do you?

@Gerrard8 said:
    Don't suppose you have that much credit courtesy of the Black Friday deal do you?

It's from the black friday deal, but turned out their services are not for me. ;P

• Gerrard8Gerrard8 Member
    edited December 2013

@FtpIt_Radi said:

Well you shouldn't sell it then... it cost you nothing so bit lame to try sell it.

Give it to someone who actually needs it and be a nice guy!

I just don't see how this is a financially viable decision for digital ocean considering their model.

@Gerrard8 said:

You know anybody?

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2013

@Gerrard8 said:
    Well you shouldn't sell it then... it cost you nothing so bit lame to try sell it.

dont act so.. holy.. everyone likes to make sum extra $$ whenever possible

i haven't seen any giveaway threads from you yet.

• @jbiloh said:
    I just don't see how this is a financially viable decision for digital ocean considering their model.

They've got a lot of start up money. It'll be a few years before they burn through that and actually have to work on a business model that's viable.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @black Please inform me, start up money from what? Did they own another hosting business?

• @Jeffrey said:
    black Please inform me, start up money from what? Did they own another hosting business?

drug dealing

Thanked by 1Jeffrey

Yeah I remember reading that, but even still, why operate in such an expensive market when you can be equally successful with 1/5 the costs on the US West Coast?