Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Those that buy and use very small VPS, what do you use it for? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Those that buy and use very small VPS, what do you use it for?

2»

Comments

• for bragging rights

• Generally used as a VPN.

• after decades of using computers and buying vps I finally came up with a jobs hub with free job posting and resume posting which is helping thousands if not millions. I hope programmers surely will get some idea or other what to do with computing power.
    Keep computing... cheers!!!

• Thanks for the answers everybody. I think another good use in a vein similar to a VPN would be to use it as a tunnel. You could run a local server that tunnels to the VPS, and use a reverse proxy so that your local IP is never exposed.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • Professional idleing

• We were running Windows with much less than that not so long ago.
    It's already pretty good for many uses.
    Even if applications tend to consume a lot of RAM...easier to develop.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited December 2023

DNS, VPN, monitoring are typical use cases (for me anyway).

Re "min 4 GB and 2 cores" - BS! I've run whole dynamic websites, incl. btw. communities with 1000s of users, on far lower spec'd systems. But then I didn't use PHP nor the other bloat monstrosity MySQL (no matter under which name, e.g. MariaDB).
    It might sound shocking to many of todays "experts" and "professionals" but for 75+% of all websites e.g. SQLite is more than good and fast enough.

P.S. There are good linux distros out there that use hardly about 100 MB RAM, incl. X! and much, much less without X (I anyway still fail to understand why people use Ubuntu - with full X, of course - on a server. Probably remote management with CLI isn't acceptable for them).

• @jsg said:
    DNS, VPN, monitoring are typical use cases (for me anyway).

Re "min 4 GB and 2 cores" - BS! I've run whole dynamic websites, incl. btw. communities with 1000s of users, on far lower spec'd systems. But then I didn't use PHP nor the other bloat monstrosity MySQL (no matter under which name, e.g. MariaDB).
    It might sound shocking to many of todays "experts" and "professionals" but for 75+% of all websites e.g. SQLite is more than good and fast enough.

P.S. There are good linux distros out there that use hardly about 100 MB RAM, incl. X! and much, much less without X (I anyway still fail to understand why people use Ubuntu - with full X, of course - on a server. Probably remote management with CLI isn't acceptable for them).

Do you mean the display manager X?

The only distro that I know of, that is light weight and is actually useful, is alpine. It is so tiny. If someone is using docker, I would suggest them to just use alpine as base OS

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

I use 256MB vps for cpanel DNS, works great. You used to be able to install it on that, but the guys at cpanel 4 years ago changed the script for install and now you have to either modify the script or install in 1gig then down to 256. We used to run it on a 128 years and years ago, but it won't do that anymore 😂

But after it runs fine, just disable all services except DNS.

• Actually, it can do a lot of things. I even have a Raspberry Pi 3B at home that has been running steadily for six years, hosting some of my microservices.

For some monitoring applications or tasks with stability requirements, using these low-spec VPS in a distributed manner might be a better choice. After all, most of my services don't require highly advanced configurations. Even if I were asked to install all my services on a highly configured server, I would feel that it's not very secure.

Utilizing minimal performance and allocating more performance to those in need is also an advocate for environmental conservation.

• It's fine to run uptime kuma to check on status of other VPS

• @pradyut said:
    after decades of using computers and buying vps I finally came up with a jobs hub with free job posting and resume posting which is helping thousands if not millions. I hope programmers surely will get some idea or other what to do with computing power.
    Keep computing... cheers!!!

what's the weblink for it?

• VPN, a simple testing platform.

• @hypnagogic said:
    For example Racknerd's "768 MB KVM VPS" with 10 GB SSD Storage.

For just extra 9 cents per year
    This is a much better deal from same provider
    1 vCPU Core
    20 GB SSD
    1 GB RAM

Good enough to run Lubuntu and TradingView charting.

Also good for vpn, telegram bot, PostgreSQL database engine with alert, …..

• Use it to build some website for personal use :D because it is cheap enough

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@qbit15 said:
    Do you mean the display manager X?

Yes (plus a bar, small windows manager, etc.)

• Static web pages