Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Those that buy and use very small VPS, what do you use it for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Those that buy and use very small VPS, what do you use it for?

For example Racknerd's "768 MB KVM VPS" with 10 GB SSD Storage.

Comments

• In the world of cutting-edge technology, where every byte of data counts and every millisecond of processing time is precious, there lies a virtual private server (VPS), nestled in a high-security data center. This VPS, decked out with the latest hardware, boasts impressive specifications: a lightning-fast processor, massive storage capacity, and top-tier security measures. Day and night, it hums quietly, its LEDs blinking rhythmically, as if in tune with the heartbeat of the digital world.

Tech enthusiasts and IT professionals speculate about the critical missions this VPS must be handling. Perhaps it's the backbone of a major e-commerce website, processing thousands of transactions per minute. Or maybe it's a hub for big data analytics, crunching numbers for groundbreaking scientific research. The possibilities seem endless, with such a powerful machine at work.

But, in a comical twist of reality, this highly capable and seemingly indispensable VPS, hailed as a paragon of technological advancement, has an unexpected primary function. Despite all its potential and prowess, its most significant task is... merely idling. Yes, amidst all the speculations and assumptions, this technological marvel spends its days and nights simply ticking over, waiting for a purpose that matches its capabilities, much like a supercar stuck in traffic, its power untapped and its potential unexplored.

• @indiankesh said:
    In the world of cutting-edge technology, where every byte of data counts and every millisecond of processing time is precious, there lies a virtual private server (VPS), nestled in a high-security data center. This VPS, decked out with the latest hardware, boasts impressive specifications: a lightning-fast processor, massive storage capacity, and top-tier security measures. Day and night, it hums quietly, its LEDs blinking rhythmically, as if in tune with the heartbeat of the digital world.

Tech enthusiasts and IT professionals speculate about the critical missions this VPS must be handling. Perhaps it's the backbone of a major e-commerce website, processing thousands of transactions per minute. Or maybe it's a hub for big data analytics, crunching numbers for groundbreaking scientific research. The possibilities seem endless, with such a powerful machine at work.

But, in a comical twist of reality, this highly capable and seemingly indispensable VPS, hailed as a paragon of technological advancement, has an unexpected primary function. Despite all its potential and prowess, its most significant task is... merely idling. Yes, amidst all the speculations and assumptions, this technological marvel spends its days and nights simply ticking over, waiting for a purpose that matches its capabilities, much like a supercar stuck in traffic, its power untapped and its potential unexplored.

Wow, that was beautiful.

Thanked by 1Calin
  • I had similar doubt and posted a similar thread. Turns out there are limited uses like personal VPN, monitoring services, load balancer and static websites hosting, DNS and more. But if you are looking to host a website then its recommended to have atleast 4gb ram and 2 cpu cores. Looking forward to hear from others.

Thanked by 1argado
  • 768 MB RAM is more than enough to run several things for personal use. Telegram bots, static websites and so on. For VPN, 64MB RAM and 2Gb storage is enough to run Wireguard.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

blackbox_exporter for own distributed monitoring network :D

• MikaeelZAMikaeelZA Member, Host Rep

I've been curious about these 2-4GB ram ones, with the newer CPU and small storage. Not everyone is running webhosting, are they?

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Wireguard vpn

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • Discord bot or two
    Telegram bot
    Machine for testing
    Vpn
    If drive is decent sometimes i just offload files to there when i need to
    Something like duplicati

• edited November 2023

@Cyberdigital said:
    if you are looking to host a website then its recommended to have atleast 4gb ram and 2 cpu cores.

That's awfully generalistic. Even 256MB will happily serve your website too and it doesn't have to be static as long as the scripting is not all that crazy, you don't get 1000s of parallel visitors (even then cloudflare caching might take a lot of stress off your tiny box) and last but not least: you know how to set it all up.

We live in a time were even the default installs of most mainstream Linux installations are kinda bloated. Knowing what to install and how to configure it can save you a ton of resources. Having some tricks up your sleeve to avoid costly operations is always nice too. You obviously still wouldn't have much fun hosting wordpress with a bazillion of plugins or something similar but there is enough other options.

Really, there actually is a ton of very practical use cases. To many to list actually but i'll just add voiceservers like teamspeak, mumble, etc. Stuff like µmurmur would even run on a router, so why wouldn't it on a 128mb NAT box?

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @totally_not_banned said:

@Cyberdigital said:
    if you are looking to host a website then its recommended to have atleast 4gb ram and 2 cpu cores.

That's awfully generalistic. Even 256MB will happily serve your website too and it doesn't have to be static as long as the scripting is not all that crazy, you don't get 1000s of parallel visitors (even then cloudflare caching might take a lot of stress off your tiny box) and last but not least: you know how to set it all up.

We live in a time were even the default installs of most mainstream Linux installations are kinda bloated. Knowing what to install and how to configure it can save you a ton of resources. Having some tricks up your sleeve to avoid costly operations is always nice too. You obviously still wouldn't have much fun hosting wordpress with a bazillion of plugins or something similar but there is enough other options.

Really, there actually is a ton of very practical use cases. To many to list actually but i'll just add voiceservers like teamspeak, mumble, etc. Stuff like µmurmur would even run on a router, so why wouldn't it on a 128mb NAT box?

Agree. I am not a server expert. Just a non tech guy who runs websites with varying traffic.
    i remember a post in past where LET was running on a 512mb vps at start without much issues.
    But most of those who dont know command line server management, a control panel (2gb ram) and wordpress (another 2 gb for smooth functioning) is required.

But I agree with you. With cloudfare and proper optimization even 1gb is enough to run website or blog.

• For instance, on my app worker VMs:

$ head -5 /proc/meminfo
    MemTotal:       16372088 kB
    MemFree:        13563704 kB
    MemAvailable:   15881908 kB
    Buffers:           47708 kB
    Cached:          2455044 kB

I'm running them on a 16GB VM just because the host machine I'm running it on has 70GB spare RAM. But with everything running, it's using about 156MB and would happily run on a 768MB VM.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • edited November 2023

@Cyberdigital said:
    Agree. I am not a server expert. Just a non tech guy who runs websites with varying traffic.
    i remember a post in past where LET was running on a 512mb vps at start without much issues.
    But most of those who dont know command line server management, a control panel (2gb ram) and wordpress (another 2 gb for smooth functioning) is required.

That's true. Getting familiar with all the low level details takes quite a while but it's also fun! One doesn't have to (and probably shouldn't/can't) go all the way in one step. Admittedly, while getting a webserver running might not be all that complicated, getting it configured nicely is a bit more to chew but beyond that maybe a nicely skinned dokuwiki could also serve as a somewhat user friendly base for building pages. Obviously never going to replace wordpress but going by the resources/effect ratio it's probably still not to bad :)

• for personal usage it's more than enough, of course if you meant to calculate those math related to personal explosion nuclear head weapon, you need bigger vps:)

• pro idling

Thanked by 1evergreen
  • I run a low traffic website using nginx and mariadb on a 512MB vps.

• You can really do a lot more than you'd think with a small VPS around 768MB or even less. Many applications aren't necessarily RAM hungry, and the CPU and network can make more of a difference. I have some small ones that I use for various things: one is a Nebula overlay network lighthouse (controller/gateway node). Doesn't even remotely tax the system. Most of the RAM and CPU stays free. I also have another small VPS that I do testing of various services with. I have a 1GB machine with Kamailio, FreeSWITCH, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, CGRateS, and Prosody XMPP. It's not taxed either, although the usage is low and mostly testing. You can run a VoIP system for quite a few users on a small machine. I have one that is 256MB, that has a mail server and web server (low traffic).

• I run VPN or a Ripe Atlas Probe.

• hellomotohellomoto Member
    edited November 2023

I use it as a Wireguard VPN.

• Generally used as a VPN. But in fact, 256M is enough.

• More versatile and often cheaper than paying for an additional IPv4

• VPN, alert bot, webhook, etc.

• @indiankesh said:
    In the world of cutting-edge technology, where every byte of data counts and every millisecond of processing time is precious, there lies a virtual private server (VPS), nestled in a high-security data center. This VPS, decked out with the latest hardware, boasts impressive specifications: a lightning-fast processor, massive storage capacity, and top-tier security measures. Day and night, it hums quietly, its LEDs blinking rhythmically, as if in tune with the heartbeat of the digital world.

• irc such as eggdrop or znc

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Used for personal VPN

• @huntercop said:

@indiankesh said:

Give it to ChatGPT

• @Cyberdigital said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@Cyberdigital said:

LEB was running on a 64MB VPS. :)

• I have kept a couple VPS for years, and they come and go, have problem times and good times. All I do with them is struggle to keep them updated, it seems every time I login it is end of life for the OS and I have to google around on how to update the VPS- usually it is unsuccessful after just a few months, error after error. Basically my purpose is just to install openvpn-as (easy to do) and use it for securing my phone when I am on an untrusted network or to change my country when I try to access Pandora radio or to check prices for USA compared to here. I guess it is a waste of $$ but the VPN is great when I need it and the VPS service is working (my Virmach VPS is down as I type this, lol, and it is down half the times I try to use it and I have to update my login to a new server IP address each time because they keep moving). Today I am going to try a new service, it is just cool to have a VPS in different countries I usually tell ladies about that.

• Oh and even though I only use 50mb to maybe 1 or 2 Gb over the course of a year, I like the unlimited bandwidth cheap VPS offers this year, so I dont have bandwidth anxiety. I dont need it but it is stress-free to have available, just in case there is an alien invastion where they compromise my ISP to try to watch what I buy on amazon. Who knows, it is just nice to be prepared.

Thanked by 1host_c
  • take a look at the world.(v.p.n)