Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about legality of server availability checker sites
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question about legality of server availability checker sites

Hello,

BlackFriday is arriving soon so the availability of the special VPS, dedicated server deals is an important question after the first few hours.

Some sites lists interesting deals and these availabilities, E.G. OVHCloud dedis.

My question about the legality. If I create a platform to follow the availability, can I do it legal? If I not and I still create it, will the OVH or any other provider kicks out from the service?

I don't want monetize this or anything, I only found a good option to practice my skills with making this type of website and I'd like to publish it.

thanks for any useful comment:)

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

You need to seek permission from each provider.

We give you permission to publish server availability checker of yoursunny summer host IPv9 VPS in Antarctica.
    You can use the following function to calculate our server availability during Black Friday:

bool yoursunnySummerHost::hasStock(const std::string& plan) {
      return false;
    }

We are sold out for next 69 years or so.

• @yoursunny said:
    You need to seek permission from each provider.

We give you permission to publish server availability checker of yoursunny summer host IPv9 VPS in Antarctica.
    You can use the following function to calculate our server availability during Black Friday:

bool yoursunnySummerHost::hasStock(const std::string& plan) {
      return false;
    }

We are sold out for next 69 years or so.

Thanks for the quick response and permission!
    IPv9 needs more RAM than IPv6 so I'll download it soon and will try this service:)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @yoursunny said: yoursunny summer host IPv9 VPS in Antarctica

You should consider going interplanetary too. Good DCs on Mars will be sold like hotcakes ;)

• PineappleMPineappleM Member
    edited November 2023

@adns said:
    My question about the legality. If I create a platform to follow the availability, can I do it legal? If I not and I still create it, will the OVH or any other provider kicks out from the service?

I don't want monetize this or anything, I only found a good option to practice my skills with making this type of website and I'd like to publish it.

I think stock/inventory checkers for OVH and BuyVM already exist. I don't think you can get in trouble legally since if they are worried about bots sniping up the stock it's on them to implement CAPTCHA or other human verification techniques on the order forms. Worst case I would expect that they would change whatever undocumented API you are using to break your site if they are truly upset by it.

I believe it's even an unwritten rule on LET that if you want to be the very first to detect new stock then you should write your own inventory checker.

My 2 cents in any case, I might be wrong on any of this.

My guess is you want to try to catch any new KS-LEs that drop on this upcoming sales cycle?

• @PineappleM said:

@adns said:

I think stock/inventory checkers for OVH and BuyVM already exist. I don't think you can get in trouble legally since if they are worried about bots sniping up the stock it's on them to implement CAPTCHA or other human verification techniques on the order forms. Worst case I would expect that they would change whatever undocumented API you are using to break your site if they are truly upset by it.

I believe it's even an unwritten rule on LET that if you want to be the very first to detect new stock then you should write your own inventory checker.

My 2 cents in any case, I might be wrong on any of this.

My guess is you want to try to catch any new KS-LEs that drop on this upcoming sales cycle?

Thanks:) yes, I know that I can do it with undocumented API:D

No, I have mi KS-LE-1, I think that the prices will be vorse than past year prices. However I'd like to see a lot of YABS results:D. For own use I already made API fetcher to be notified about interesting machines and VMs at my favourite providers.:D

• @yusra said:

@yoursunny said: yoursunny summer host IPv9 VPS in Antarctica

You should consider going interplanetary too. Good DCs on Mars will be sold like hotcakes ;)

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/185848/what-would-happen-if-you-put-a-server-on-the-moon

• Just be polite and ask provider - they can have API/different endpoints for that.

If you don't ask and one day your script will go nuts and issue 81578187587187 request in a second (and overload) providers already overloaded website because BF deals - you can be sure they will look at it totally different if you asked before rather than just go rouge web scraping.

• An API is meant to be used + you’re advertising these companies services for free.

Don’t see why any host would be upset, but, there’s like 30 of these sites already.

• @adns said: Some sites lists interesting deals and these availabilities, E.G. OVHCloud dedis.

rather than just ovh and other popular brands, try to rope in some un-heard or low end ones too. we love grabbing deals from everyone!