Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you do in this situation? (domain auction here on LET)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you do in this situation? (domain auction here on LET)

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Back in July, I auctioned off a couple domains. @Bitmap won them.

He paid and I pushed on Porkbun.

That was June 20. As of this morning, they're still in my account.

Since then, I've

• PM'd him several times
  • Tagged him in that thread.
  • Emailed the PayPal address that the money came from.
  • Emailed his LET email address.

Have not heard a single word since June 20.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2023

Nothing but if he replies, push the domain again.

• I would wish they are OK. So the money is where? Held by escrow?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@allnetstore said: I would wish they are OK. So the money is where? Held by escrow?

He paid via PayPal so I have the money.

@Neoon said: Nothing but if he replies, push the domain again.

I suppose I can just sit on them until March, when the first one expires. I don't want to pay to renew them. I suppose I could paypal the money back to him and reauction but that doesn't seem right either.

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

I would say refund him back to his PayPal. Bitmap has not logged in since july, almost 3months. Hope he is okay. Also you tried to contact him multiple times.
    You could also renew the two domains for 1 more year and wait another 1 year and see if Bitmap gets back to you and you can simply push the domain to him and request additional 1 year renewal payment. :neutral:

• I am sure asking a difficult question like this to an AI would give you some results? :D
    If you trust them.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Nanja said:
    I am sure asking a difficult question like this to an AI would give you some results? :D
    If you trust them.

It seems like you've made several attempts to contact the buyer of the domains, but you haven't received any response since June 20. In such a situation, here are the steps you can consider taking to resolve the issue:

• Double-check your communication channels: Ensure that you've been using the correct contact information for the buyer. It's possible there was an error in the contact details you have or that the buyer has changed their contact information.
    • Contact the domain registrar: If you haven't already, get in touch with Porkbun, the domain registrar, to inform them of the situation. They may have policies or procedures in place to assist you with domain transfers and disputes.
    • Check the domain transfer status: Confirm with Porkbun whether the domain transfer requests were properly initiated and if there have been any issues in the transfer process. They may be able to provide insights into the status of the domain transfers.
    • Document your attempts: Keep records of all your attempts to contact the buyer, including messages, emails, and any responses (or lack thereof). This documentation can be helpful if you need to escalate the issue further.
    • Consider legal action: If all else fails and you believe you have taken all reasonable steps to contact the buyer and facilitate the domain transfer, you may want to consult with a legal professional. They can advise you on potential legal actions you can take to resolve the matter, such as pursuing a breach of contract claim.
    • Escalate with the auction platform: If the domain sale took place on an auction platform, contact their support or customer service to report the issue. They may have policies in place to assist in dispute resolution.

Remember that legal procedures and the specific options available to you may vary based on your jurisdiction, the terms of the auction platform, and any agreements made during the sale. It's always a good idea to consult with a legal professional to understand your options fully and proceed accordingly.

• id just wait to see if he responds, if not then i wouldn't worry about it.

• I think the best way to avoid problems is to let the domain expire as is if you don't hear from them.
    You must warn them that you do not intend to renew domain.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2023

Definitely no legal action, there was no breach of contract, the guy paid. The only thing to do is to make sure you have proof you did what you could have done and surely passes the threshold of "reasonable efforts" to contact them and hand over the domains.
    That is all.
    If nothing happens until they expire, just buy one minute after expiration and sell again if you would like. It would be like you bought a new/free domain.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I sold several domains.
    Buyer paid and I provided auth code as requested.
    Once the buyer didn't initiate transfer in more than four months, so I simply turned off auto renewal and left the domain to expiration.
    Not my problem.

Thanked by 1MrLime
  • He mentions owning ~14,387 domains in another thread. No surprise he would have a hard time keeping up with them. Also, he did tag @eva2000 in a couple of posts, maybe that person knows the buyer.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2023

@raindog308 said:
    Back in July, I auctioned off a couple domains. @Bitmap won them.

He paid and I pushed on Porkbun.

That was June 20. As of this morning, they're still in my account.

Since then, I've

• PM'd him several times
    • Tagged him in that thread.
    • Emailed the PayPal address that the money came from.
    • Emailed his LET email address.

Have not heard a single word since June 20.

MS ) with him as well: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/186895/domain-bundle-netherlandsvps-com-net-easily-brandable-instantly-memorable

I had forgotten I had sold those to him months prior, he just never transferred them after receiving the EPP/Auth codes but promptly transferred them after this came to light.

Good luck. I'd just hold them for him until renewal, since he may still appear, then refund + reauction as you mentioned if he doesn't transfer them before their natural renewal.

• serial reverse scammer

Thanked by 1neverain
  • Do another auction.

• @ipguru said:
    He mentions owning ~14,387 domains in another thread. No surprise he would have a hard time keeping up with them. Also, he did tag @eva2000 in a couple of posts, maybe that person knows the buyer.

Is it legal money?

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

That's nothing.

I have waited over 1 year on LET and renewed the domain while I was waiting for the auction winner to come collect his domain.

• You did everything you could. Don't bother with refund and reauction. I mean why?

Sit them until they expire and this is it.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

You stated in the thread the Expiry dates.
    Just hold them until he replies to get HIS domains transferred and then push it.

If he not reply until then, then not your fault. He knew the expiry date from the auction.
    And until then, he can not dispute anymore.

Fair enough. I think.

But its kinda strange he replies nowhere. Like he died.

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax
  • @Shakib said:
    That's nothing.

I have waited over 1 year on LET and renewed the domain while I was waiting for the auction winner to come collect his domain.

hi

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

@fluffernutter said:

@Shakib said:
    That's nothing.

hi

Hello 👋

• Did the PayPal address reveal his real name? If so, I'd start checking obituaries and prison inmate lists. Most people don't fall off the face of the earth, especially when they have pending transactions with multiple people.

I'd hope for the best and expect the worst.

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@raindog308

I'd simply refund what he payed (possibly minus fees arising from his being incommunicado) and then re-auction the domain(s) on LET.
    And I'd make sure to not repeat my mistake of not providing clear rules like "payment and then transfer to be fully completed within [x time, e.g. 1 week] or the deal will become invalid.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited October 2023

@jsg said: And I'd make sure to not repeat my mistake of not providing clear rules like "payment and then transfer to be fully completed within [x time, e.g. 1 week] or the deal will become invalid.

That's not how auctions work. Regular sale yes, action not. The highest bidder can't just change his mind, decide not to go through, etc. This opens the doors for the auction manipulations with fake bidders to raise the price.

I also don't understand all those "refund & reauction" suggestions. Why should he bother with that? For what?
    Someone paid for the domain. If this someone decided for his domain to expire (or ignore it) it's on him not on the seller.

edited October 2023

@Mumbly said:

@jsg said: And I'd make sure to not repeat my mistake of not providing clear rules like "payment and then transfer to be fully completed within [x time, e.g. 1 week] or the deal will become invalid.

That's not how auctions work. Regular sale yes, action not. The highest bidder can't just change his mind, decide not to go through, etc. This opens the doors for the auction manipulations with fake bidders to raise the price.

I also don't understand all those "refund & reauction" suggestions. Why should he bother with that? For what?
    Someone paid for the domain. If this someone decided for his domain to expire (or ignore it) it's on him not on the seller.

In theory, yes - but not in real life. In real life @raindog308 still has the domain. Similarly in real life someone may buy, and pay for a say, a painting, but then not fetch/physically get it (e.g. he might die).

Also there is an important factor/question: How long must a seller (via auction) wait for the buyer to actually "pick up" what he payed for?

In that regard raindog308 himself made, it seems, a mistake by not specifying a time frame. That said, I guess that 3 months is long enough to be interpreted as the buyer not fulfilling an important, albeit not clearly specified, part of the deal. The reason (e.g. dead vs oopsie, forgotten) is of little importance.

Finally, the "refund fuss" is about an important fact: the buyer did pay that is, he did fulfill a vital part of the deal (but not another one just as vital).

Now, in theory raindog308 simply could say "not my problem. Done" - in reality however the domain still is in his portfolio, hence something must move. Either the buyer suddenly actually transfers the domain out -or- raindog308 refunds him (minus fees/costs arising not due to raindog308's fault).
    In other words: raindog308 should be - and seems to actually be - interested in a clean solution that is, either the domain being transferred (extremely unlikely) or the payment re-transferred which actually is the only sensible option in the set of options available to raindog308.

• Refunding and re-auctioning isn't a clean solution. What if the guy suddenly reappears and wants his domain that he's paid for? It also looks like it sold for a decent price, and there's no guarantee he'd get that next time round if he re-auctioned.

The cleanest solution is everything he's done so far and then waiting for the domains to either be transferred out by the buyer or expire. The seller has no obligation to renew the domain, and if he chose to do so then he'd potentially be out of pocket if this guy never shows up for another year. If the buyer misses the renewal deadline, that's entirely his problem.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
    edited October 2023

Someone said:
    Refunding and re-auctioning isn't a clean solution. What if the guy suddenly reappears and wants his domain that he's paid for?

"Tough luck. I waited for months and you obviously didn't honour the deal. Anyway, you got your money back"

It also looks like it sold for a decent price, and there's no guarantee he'd get that next time round if he re-auctioned.

Utterly irrelevant.

The cleanest solution is everything he's done so far and then waiting for the domains to either be transferred out by the buyer or expire.

Actually no. The two main reasons:

• It seems that @raindog308 failed to provide clear conditions which is why this whole issue exists in the first place.
    • raindog308 went miles beyond what would be considered necessary and proper. The buyer obviously either wasn't reachable or didn't care at all, any anyway did not fulfill his part

What raindog308 has done so far clearly shows his honesty and good will but 'clean', sorry, nope.

And btw the price the buyer paid does not and should not buy him unlimited efforts - and time - from raindog308.

• @jsg said:

• It seems that @raindog308 failed to provide clear conditions which is why this whole issue exists in the first place.

LOL.
    Stop slathering the OP here....

Damn, these entitled babies need everything spelled out or they want to cancel it

@plumberg said:

@jsg said:

LOL.
    Stop slathering the OP here....

Damn, these entitled babies need everything spelled out or they want to cancel it

No slathering, just an obvious fact. If he had specified clear conditions this whole issue wouldn't exist. Simple as that.

• no need to extend it, wait until the expiry date, then forget it.
    but if you are unsure about the money you received, just refund it, and you don't need to worry anymore. peace of mind is more expensive.

• @Mumbly said: I also don't understand all those "refund & reauction" suggestions. Why should he bother with that? For what?

Here's the only answer. Imho case closed.

Thanked by 1JasonM