Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rPI-5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• Thanked by 2Levi nocloud
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2023

Upon reading more about it, I am a bit disappointed. Sure, it has more computing power, but it is also more expensive. The era of $35 mark seems to be over; now the starting price of Raspberry Pi 5 will be $60.

One of the advantages of Raspberry Pi was low power with some nice features under the hood. Now we lost the sound jack port as there is none on Raspberry Pi 5.

Regarding heating, it clearly needs a fan. Raspberry Pi 4 had a huge problem with heating at release, therefore I quite skeptic about keeping the Pi5 board cool passively under usage, especially at the release.

@DataIdeas-Josh - I believe this is more for you, because you got cooling in your datacenter and people would love running Windows on these Raspberry Pi 5 boards. These will likely sell like hot bread.

• One more link to read/watch:

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2023/testing-pcie-on-raspberry-pi-5

It's slowly morphing into a PC of sorts (higher power, higher cost and it's now almost as expensive as some old refurbished Dell Optiplexes/HP Minis, which give you far more bang for the buck at pretty reasonable low power for 24x7 operation.

• It is called "computer" sbc term is ditched.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2023

@LTniger said:
    It is called "computer" sbc term is ditched.

That's an interesting point.

Will RPi 6 be advertised as "server computer"?

• @default said:

@LTniger said:
    It is called "computer" sbc term is ditched.

That's an interesting point.

Will RPi 6 be advertised as "server computer"?

Nah, it will be in the cloud and for monthly subscription.

Another huge drawback for v5 is that cases, power suplies does not fit from v4.

• HP 6300 SFF, Intel Core i5-3470 3.20GHz, 8GB DDR3, 120GB SSD

Same price as RPi5 but much better specs/cooling

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

these will still be decent for SBC's or small bits of kit we leave on customers site to dial in for diagnosis instead of taking over one of there pcs , very solid for sbc's for phone systems too well the 4s were sure the 5s will be too . better get my pre-orderes in

• @SirNeo said:
    HP 6300 SFF, Intel Core i5-3470 3.20GHz, 8GB DDR3, 120GB SSD

The power supply of HP 6300 is 240W.
    The recommended power supply for RPi5 is 5Vx5A=25W.
    It simply affects your electricity bill.

• RPI only cheaper on paper, with all the accessories the cost is high, a mini pc with N100 probably better.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • For performance wise, any EliteDesk, Optiplex or ThinkCentre from 6th gen intel will out beat all the raspberry pi given the cost. Unless you want try out ARM or tinker with GPIO. Will skip this. Or can buy more vm from lowendtalk and contribute to the economy :wink:

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited September 2023

@webdev said:
    RPI only cheaper on paper, with all the accessories the cost is high, a mini pc with N100 probably better.

The main benefit of an RPI is the long-term cost savings in terms of electricity consumption.

• @SirFoxy said:
    The main benefit of an RPI is the long-term cost savings in terms of electricity consumption.

And software support, Unlike other brand SBC. RPI have large community, also they firmware was stable other than some SBC I tried.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@SirFoxy said:

@webdev said:
    RPI only cheaper on paper, with all the accessories the cost is high, a mini pc with N100 probably better.

Not suitable when you produce so much energy at home which allows you to run your own home-based datacenter.

• @FlorinMarian said:

@SirFoxy said:

@webdev said:

Not suitable when you produce so much energy at home which allows you to run your own home-based datacenter.

Send dog pics

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@default said: Will RPi 6 be advertised as "server computer"?

R Pi 6 will only be advertised to AIs. "Adopt a new child into your family..."

• @SirFoxy said: The main benefit of an RPI is the long-term cost savings in terms of electricity consumption.

Not true for N100 based minipc or laptops

• Looks like we got some new projects. :)

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited September 2023

@webdev said:

@SirFoxy said: The main benefit of an RPI is the long-term cost savings in terms of electricity consumption.

Not true for N100 based minipc or laptops

“At 3 GHz the Raspberry Pi 5 had an idle temperature of 46.6°C and consumed 3 Watts. Under stress the Raspberry Pi 5 hit a top temperature of 69.2°C and consumed 10 Watts.”

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raspberry-pi-5

“In terms of power consumption, both the N100 and N200 consumed around 10.5-12W at idle. That feels high, especially since the 35W TDP-fanned 1L PCs like the HP Elite Mini 600 G9 is under 8W. On the maximum power consumption side, these only raised to 22-23W for the N100.“

https://www.servethehome.com/fanless-intel-n100-firewall-and-virtualization-appliance-review/4/

Thanked by 2balloon jsg
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2023

@raindog308 said:

@default said: Will RPi 6 be advertised as "server computer"?

R Pi 6 will only be advertised to AIs. "Adopt a new child into your family..."

I already regard a Raspberry Pi as a small child. An actual open-source AI would be even better. I shall raise it as my own kid, uninfluenced by politics, wars and toxicity.

Back on topic: I am worried now about buying not just the board of RPi5, but also all the accessories, including the power supply. Ouch.

As others have mentioned, it might just be better to buy some cheap small PC from eBay at this point.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@SirFoxy said: “At 3 GHz the Raspberry Pi 5 had an idle temperature of 46.6°C and consumed 3 Watts. Under stress the Raspberry Pi 5 hit a top temperature of 69.2°C and consumed 10 Watts.”

I wonder why it wants a 27W power supply...perhaps for juice to power hats and whatever goes out the ports?

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep

Oh boy, I can't wait until these bad boys are on Amazon for $200/ea.

• I believe they calculate the power supply for a full load of the board.

• @Swiftnode said:
    Oh boy, I can't wait until these bad boys are on Amazon for $200/ea.

Thanked by 2Swiftnode raindog308
  • https://github.com/ophub/amlogic-s9xxx-openwrt

I'm sure those $5 devices on the device list for this project will work better than the Raspberry Pi

• @balloon said:

@SirNeo said:
    HP 6300 SFF, Intel Core i5-3470 3.20GHz, 8GB DDR3, 120GB SSD

The power supply of HP 6300 is 240W.
    The recommended power supply for RPi5 is 5Vx5A=25W.
    It simply affects your electricity bill.

I am sure that the HP won't consume more than 200W in full power but at my scenario/usage it won't take more than 50-100W witch is not so much for the monthly electricity bill

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I think that game will get interesting once the competitors show their products.

@SirFoxy said:
    “At 3 GHz the Rpi5 ... idle .consumed 3 Watts. Under stress 10 Watts.”

(Shortening mine)

That IMO is an interesting point. Most people (incl. myself) won't care much whether a board consumes 10 or even 20 W when hard at work - but many (me anyway) do care about idle power.
    So, well done Rpi guys!

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • Might as well get an x86 ZimaBlade instead at that price - https://www.crowdsupply.com/icewhale-technology/zimablade

It's a little pricier, but not by much

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2023

I’ll take 5. You laugh but you all have more idle VPS than I do 🤣

My idle VPS is a 3D printed mini server rack filled with RPIs.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • decent at the price but I got an orange pi 5 16GB for €125. Im sure the Rpi5 will be better supported software wise though. Would rather pay another €10 and have an m.2 slot. maybe some other variants will appear later.