Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alexhost.com - Free DNS service for everyone! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alexhost.com - Free DNS service for everyone!

2»

Comments

• @LTniger said:

@bermudi said:
    I'm still curious about the passwords tho

@bermudi said:
    are passwords stored in plaintext? I created an account and got my password mailed back at me, which is bad enough already

He use Hostbill. Hostbill send email and take password in plain text before encrypting it and sending to DB. Your data is safe, Hostbill use modern day encryption.

I also use modern-day encryption!

Thanked by 3mwt kait lowkey
  • My provider and the best provider so far. I have dedi with them 1gbps unmetered badnwidth. Online for over a year and no issues so far. Keep up the good work. Greetings from katz :)

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • @LTniger said: Hostbill send email and take password in plain text before encrypting it and sending to DB

It still is a very bad practice to send plain text password over email imo. Lots of servers log emails and sadly there are plenty of providers who fall back to unencrypted smtp

Thanked by 2tentor martheen
  • tentortentor Member, Host Rep

@bermudi said: Lots of servers log emails and sadly there are plenty of providers who fall back to unencrypted smtp

Generally emails are not end-to-end encrypted, thus is does not matter whether your server supports TLS or uses plaintext SMTP - the server administrator is able to see contents of the email letters stored UNLESS some end-to-end encryption applied, for example OpenPGP or S/MIME.

Thanked by 10xC7
  • @tentor said:

@bermudi said: Lots of servers log emails and sadly there are plenty of providers who fall back to unencrypted smtp

Generally emails are not end-to-end encrypted, thus is does not matter whether your server supports TLS or uses plaintext SMTP - the server administrator is able to see contents of the email letters stored UNLESS some end-to-end encryption applied, for example OpenPGP or S/MIME.

Wat? That's like saying that it's fine to login to your bank over http because the bank could skim your passwords anyway. TLS protects against bad actors who are not the server you intend to communicate with.

• tentortentor Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2023

@mwt said:
    Wat? That's like saying that it's fine to login to your bank over http because the bank could skim your passwords anyway. TLS protects against bad actors who are not the server you intend to communicate with.

This is not what I said. Please read this:

@tentor said: the server administrator is able to see contents of the email letters stored UNLESS some end-to-end encryption applied, for example OpenPGP or S/MIME

TLS is not end-to-end encryption, it prevents only in-transit interception and is not sufficient to prevent leakage of confidential information from the email letter altogether.

In simple wording: if you use service like gmail (their email servers use TLS) and alexhost sends you a password from billing, then malicious admin at google is able to log in your alexhost account by using the password within letter. OpenPGP and S/MIME are preventing this.

Thanked by 1bermudi
  • @mwt said:

You don't understand how email works. TLS is for transport only. It does not encrypt data on server. Email is not secure by design and will never be.

Solutions like PGP, S/MIME are hard and not user friendly.

Want safe communication? Use encrypted p2p apps, not email.

Thanked by 3tentor 0xC7 kepler
  • Holy shit, there is cociu!

https://alexhost.com/about/

Thanked by 2default marian
  • alexhostalexhost Member, Patron Provider

@neckbreaker said:
    Thank you Alexhost for providing quality services out of pretty rare location which is Moldova.
    I wish the DNS was anycasted(between MD and NL), but maybe It would make sense for paid plans.

Thanks anyways, I will happily use it whenever I have a project that requires something like that.

@sillycat said: I didn't even need to provide Hetzner with this much information...

Unlike Hetzner, they are very very unlikely to verify what you type there ;)

Hi, Nick

That requested information is default. We can't verify if is correct and if you pay anonymously.

Thanks for your feedback. You're welcome.

We will see what we can do. For now we are doing this.

• @alexhost said: That requested information is default. We can't verify if is correct and if you pay anonymously.

Thanks for explaining that! I've made an account, and now it's time to test it out.

• @alexhost If you're so proud of this DNS platform, why are you using Cloudflare to host your site and provide proxy services?

Thanked by 2Daniel15 lowkey

@techhelper1 said:
    @alexhost If you're so proud of this DNS platform, why are you using Cloudflare to host your site and provide proxy services?

That's a good question.

Cloudflare provides L7 protection just only that.

The main reason why we launch this DNS service, is for who want an alternative to Cloudflare, this mean in terms of privacy. (Terms of Service and Acceptable Usage Policy applies)

But if you don't want or you don't need to use Cloudflare, you can use our DNS.
    Another reason we mention is Privacy.

Best Regards,
    Alexhost

• @alexhost How many DNS servers do you have? Is it possible to set up GeoDNS? Any plan for paid plans?
    Thanks

@quanhua92 said:
    @alexhost How many DNS servers do you have? Is it possible to set up GeoDNS? Any plan for paid plans?
    Thanks

All questions are in the page. In near future maybe we have paid plans.

• Can the DNS hosting include proxying of an A record? (Cloudflare does this.)

@Turbo_Pascal said:
    Can the DNS hosting include proxying of an A record? (Cloudflare does this.)

Hello,

Yes.

You can check here
    https://bill.alexhost.com/knowledgebase/article/33/how-to-set-up-and-configure-dns-service/

Kindly Regards,
    Alexhost

• Thanks. However, I searched that page for the word, "proxy", and came up with nothing.