Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SMTP Server Choices – What Works Best for You?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SMTP Server Choices – What Works Best for You?

I'm curious about SMTP servers. What's your preferred SMTP server, and why? Also, is setting up a self-hosted SMTP server worth it in your experience?

Comments

• HizakuraHizakura Member, Patron Provider

I recommend Postmark for a fast delivery of the e-mail.

Thanked by 3tjn jcn easy
  • SES. Always SES.

• MXroute, Amazon SES. Reliability.

Thanked by 1TimRoo

@SirFoxy said:
    SES. Always SES.

I don't recommend SES since we got a lot of bonus emails from them and they need to verify the sender email address like [email protected]

• @skippy said:
    MXroute, Amazon SES. Reliability.

MXroute isn't intended to be used as an SMTP relay. Especially not for marketing.

Thanked by 2sasslik COLBYLICIOUS
  • @Hizakura said:

@SirFoxy said:
    SES. Always SES.

I don't recommend SES since we got a lot of bonus emails from them and they need to verify the sender email address like [email protected]

You can verify on the domain level instead of email level.

@SirFoxy said: You can verify on the domain level instead of email level.

I remember we have to verify all of them, did they change the rules?

• @Hizakura said:

You might have at one point, I forget, but now you just need to verify once per domain at the DNS level (you can also do it the per email way as well though).

@SirFoxy said:

@Hizakura said:

You might have at one point, I forget, but now you just need to verify once per domain at the DNS level (you can also do it the per email way as well though).

Last time we used it was like 2 years ago and we had to verify the domain (DNS), as well as the email address. Maybe they changed it.

• tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited September 2023

Yes only domain is required now, you can do either domain or every email address, both are not necessary (SES).

• SES, Oracle Mail

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Mentally strong people run nc -l 25 and answer SMTP commands manually.

• Can't recommend SES, they wasted a lot of our time with a bunch (and I mean A BUNCH) of questions.

We responded very carefully, we only send transactional email AND we've been paying clients for maybe 4-5 years.

"No, but please answer these 10 more questions"

"Ok, here's the answers"

"Thanks! Still no"

• Any transactional email service from big provider:

Amazon
    Oracle
    M$
    Mailgun
    Postmark

Solid choices for legitimate use. Spammers go to hell.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2023

@SirFoxy said:

@skippy said:
    MXroute, Amazon SES. Reliability.

MXroute isn't intended to be used as an SMTP relay. Especially not for marketing.

But feel free to use it as an SMTP relay, there's not much difference between it and transactional services besides API and common web interface expectations. Except that it uses the most militantly protected IPs around, hand curated at every level to ensure the highest possibility of inbox delivery that an IP range can provide (recognizing of course that it's not all about IP reputation).

• @jar said: But feel free to use it as an SMTP relay, there's not much difference between it and transactional services besides API and common web interface expectations

So automatic emails allowed?

Like verification codes, invoice reminders, payment confirmations, you get the idea

Thanked by 1jar

@emgh said:

@jar said: But feel free to use it as an SMTP relay, there's not much difference between it and transactional services besides API and common web interface expectations

Like verification codes, invoice reminders, payment confirmations, you get the idea

Absolutely. Transactional is one of the most common use cases.

Thanked by 3emgh skippy darkh0rse
  • @jar said:

@emgh said:

@jar said: But feel free to use it as an SMTP relay, there's not much difference between it and transactional services besides API and common web interface expectations

Absolutely. Transactional is one of the most common use cases.

I have no idea why I believed that was off-limits

Thanked by 1jar
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@Hizakura said:

@SirFoxy said:

@Hizakura said:

Last time we used it was like 2 years ago and we had to verify the domain (DNS), as well as the email address. Maybe they changed it.

It was also same 2 years ago.

• Exim, as part of direct admin

• Postmark, MXRoute.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2023

Amazon SES, Mailjet, smtp2go, Brevo

• @emgh said:

I am using MXRoute as transactional email for more than 3 years.

Thanked by 2jar emgh

@alilet said: I am using MXRoute as transactional email for more than 3 years.

We have some very, very large customers using us for it as well :heart:

• Depends on use case.

If it's transactional email like notifications, use SES, Sendgrid, or Oracle.

If it's for business or personal email (from human to human), use MXRoute.

Using SES for personal/business email is usually fine, but sometimes I found my emails sent from SES or Sendgrid lands in recipient's "Updates" tab (in Gmail) rather than "Primary", even when all DNS and DKIM stuff is correctly set up.

• Logs and bounce control is very important. Providers with api provide easy way to control list of receivers. If bounce -> remove from list. Also bounce percentage matters.

I don't knownwhy jarlandino does not bank on transactional email business venue. Customer base is here, reputation is here, knowledge is also present. Just move that lazzy ass and make transroute.com .

Thanked by 1netsujit
  • @LTniger said:
    Logs and bounce control is very important. Providers with api provide easy way to control list of receivers. If bounce -> remove from list. Also bounce percentage matters.

I don't knownwhy jarlandino does not bank on transactional email business venue. Customer base is here, reputation is here, knowledge is also present. Just move that lazzy ass and make transroute.com .

+1 to this

@jar start Transroute please. B)

• Plan names (increasing in size):

• Coming Out
    • HRT
    • Name Change
    • Gender Marker Change
    • First Full-Time Day
    • Surgery
    • Pronoun Change
    • Therapy or Counselling
    • Social Acceptance

@jar

Don't be mad at me. Generatated by GPT-4.

Thanked by 3jar Levi sebkehl
  • Mail.baby is the way

• alibaba directmail is work fine for me