Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issues with IPXO
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Issues with IPXO

Hello,

I don't know if anyone has faced similar kinds of issues or not with IPXO like us.

I have an active account with IPXO with 20+ IP ranges leased smoothly. But the problem starts when one ip out of /24 blocks is blacklisted, they suspend the whole account within a minute.
When we activated our account we mentioned that if any illegal activities like spam, or phishing happened within 24 we'd terminate the service (server, not the IP) and they agreed on it. But still, they suspended the whole account. Now they do not respond to any emails or anything.

Is this only us or does it happen to you also?

Comments

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

They truly do content monitoring like that? That's really bad.
    Is this true?

As a service provider we should have the freedom to handle our abuse tickets as we see fit, as per our local laws, not by whatever IPXO may say.

If this is true, we shall not get a single range via IPXO. We were considering getting some ranges for 5+ year leases in case we start offering VPS services due to recommendations, but if this kind of issues can be confirmed by others -- they'd have to pay us for us to bother even announcing those IP ranges, and we would still refuse to subjugate our users to 3rd party controlled censorship and take risks all our customers go down due to single bad actor in the mix.

• bethpbethp Member, Host Rep

I would also be interested to hear anyone else experience, as IPXO is one I am looking at using for IP's.

@IPXO Just to give you a chance to reply

• SteadyTurtleSteadyTurtle Member
    edited September 2023

More reviews of IPXO please as we are also looking into renting a subnet from them.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2023

@CyberSasu how many IP blocks do you have with them ?

What kind of blacklist did you got ?

How old is your account ?

What kind of services are using this IP block for ?

We have about 40 x /24 from @IPXO and we discussed about abuse well before ordering them, it's best if you discuss everything with them including what kind of abuse complains you may get, how frequently etc...

So far we have been using them for over 1 month and we did a long term contract with them and we do get some abuse, but it's like very minimal and we proactively monitor all our servers and IP so that it's taken care before any serious abuse is done and so far it's good

Moreover if you discuss it before ordering they provide you IP from IP holder who is from relevant industry and understands that some minor abuse complains may come up, but if you take care of them in timely manner i don't think it's going to be an issue ..

Though lets see how it goes with us, so far it's fine with us and yes we do get some abuse, but it's nothing compared to the number of IP that we have from them

Thanked by 1IPXO
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

When I tested their rented IPs long ago they caught SMTP traffic which caused it to drop to unencrypted (because you have to support unencrypted fallback to be able to send mail to a good bit of people), and then they captured the packets and used a filtering appliance before forwarding them on. Judging by how much spam we received from rental customers later, they likely stopped doing this. It got bad enough that their IPs would be blacklisted some places for just announcing them.

Yes, "some places" means me.

@jar said:
    When I tested their rented IPs long ago they caught SMTP traffic which caused it to drop to unencrypted (because you have to support unencrypted fallback to be able to send mail to a good bit of people), and then they captured the packets and used a filtering appliance before forwarding them on. Judging by how much spam we received from rental customers later, they likely stopped doing this. It got bad enough that their IPs would be blacklisted some places for just announcing them.

how can they do that if you announce the IPs, route your own traffic etc.? this is not a proxy service where all traffic is routed through them. Doesn't sound technically possible by IPXO to do this.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @PulsedMedia said:

@jar said:

how can they do that if you announce the IPs, route your own traffic etc.? this is not a proxy service where all traffic is routed through them. Doesn't sound technically possible by IPXO to do this.

Honeypots perhaps?

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2023

@PulsedMedia said: how can they do that if you announce the IPs, route your own traffic etc.? this is not a proxy service where all traffic is routed through them. Doesn't sound technically possible by IPXO to do this.

Back then most of them announced the IPs on rented servers by them, but that pretty quickly split off and yeah, maybe that's why the spam increased. I'm thinking back when it was all still under Heficed.

Thanked by 1Zappie
  • @HostEONS said:
    @CyberSasu how many IP blocks do you have with them ?

What kind of blacklist did you got ?

How old is your account ?

What kind of services are using this IP block for ?

We have about 40 x /24 from @IPXO and we discussed about abuse well before ordering them, it's best if you discuss everything with them including what kind of abuse complains you may get, how frequently etc...

So far we have been using them for over 1 month and we did a long term contract with them and we do get some abuse, but it's like very minimal and we proactively monitor all our servers and IP so that it's taken care before any serious abuse is done and so far it's good

Moreover if you discuss it before ordering they provide you IP from IP holder who is from relevant industry and understands that some minor abuse complains may come up, but if you take care of them in timely manner i don't think it's going to be an issue ..

Though lets see how it goes with us, so far it's fine with us and yes we do get some abuse, but it's nothing compared to the number of IP that we have from them

Near about a month. 23 x /24. It was Spamhaus SBL.

edited September 2023

And it was just 1 IP ?

Spamming ?

Did you do any long term contract with them ?

Also is the IP holder also into hosting ?

As i took IP of an IP holder who themselves are into hosting

• GoSSDHostingGoSSDHosting Member, Host Rep

@CyberSasu We too faced a similar issue with them recently! We had nearly 20+ ranges with them but they suspended our account due to a few SBL listings resulting from some problematic clients. We promptly terminated those clients upon receiving notifications.
    Interestingly, just 15 minutes after you posted this thread, we received an email notifying us that they had rejected our IPXO company verification, effectively closing our account. Quite a coincidence!

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

@CyberSasu and @gossdhosting did you guys lease the IP for long term ?

Glad we didn't rent any ranges, and now we shall not. Another provider privately said they had the very same issue.

Exactly the issues i was afraid of seems to be the reality of renting ranges.

• Oh wow that's terrible.

So, any recommendations for lease IP other than @IPXO ?

• A little off topic but want to understand how IP leasing and announcement works?

So, let's say I am a company in Brazil and lease ARIN IPs from IPXO and ask another company in Brazil to announce them for me? Does that mean that users will see that IP is from Brazil?

@alilet said:
    A little off topic but want to understand how IP leasing and announcement works?

So, let's say I am a company in Brazil and lease ARIN IPs from IPXO and ask another company in Brazil to announce them for me? Does that mean that users will see that IP is from Brazil?

These days if you take a server, the IP Are every expensive if you take it directly from your server provider, but if you need IP in bulk then you can take IP From a third party.

IPXO is like a broker who helps you get IP from IP holders at a much better price then what most data centre gives.

The reason behind it is that IPv4 are scarce and have become very costly and ARINE, APNIC etc... have very little to no IP at all, so you cannot get IP directly from ARINE or APNIC, so people who get IP like a decade ago have tons of IP and ARIN etc... charges very little to them so they keep them and they lease their unused IP

So in this way you can get IP from IPXO

IPXO will charge you on monthly basis for IP and they will provide you LOA (Letter of Authorisation) and also setup RPKI and ROA for your IP Range, so now when you take your server elsewhere they will announce these IP for you and you get to use IP for cheap, but this works only if you take IP in bulk i.e. atleast a /24 as you cannot announce IP blocks smaller then /24

Now regarding what users see where the IP is from depends upon third party GEOIP Database, but once you lease the IP you can contact these GeoIP database to update their data, they may or may not do it

you can even setup a GeoFeed if you have lots of IP and update these GeoIP databases

I hope this explains it all

Thanked by 2alilet karanchoo
  • @HostEONS said:

@alilet said:
    A little off topic but want to understand how IP leasing and announcement works?

These days if you take a server, the IP Are every expensive if you take it directly from your server provider, but if you need IP in bulk then you can take IP From a third party.

IPXO is like a broker who helps you get IP from IP holders at a much better price then what most data centre gives.

The reason behind it is that IPv4 are scarce and have become very costly and ARINE, APNIC etc... have very little to no IP at all, so you cannot get IP directly from ARINE or APNIC, so people who get IP like a decade ago have tons of IP and ARIN etc... charges very little to them so they keep them and they lease their unused IP

IPXO will charge you on monthly basis for IP and they will provide you LOA (Letter of Authorisation) and also setup RPKI and ROA for your IP Range, so now when you take your server elsewhere they will announce these IP for you and you get to use IP for cheap, but this works only if you take IP in bulk i.e. atleast a /24 as you cannot announce IP blocks smaller then /24

Now regarding what users see where the IP is from depends upon third party GEOIP Database, but once you lease the IP you can contact these GeoIP database to update their data, they may or may not do it

you can even setup a GeoFeed if you have lots of IP and update these GeoIP databases

This clears many things. So, if leasing from IPXO, they will announce IPs for me....and announcement is like telling to the world that these IPs belong to me?

@alilet said:

@HostEONS said:

@alilet said:

This clears many things. So, if leasing from IPXO, they will announce IPs for me....and announcement is like telling to the world that these IPs belong to me?

IPXO will just allocate IP to you and give you a letter of authorisation, then you need to ask your server provider or ISP to announce them for you unless you manage your own BGP, so first make sure your ISP or provider can do it for you or not

Once they announce them, yes you tell the word via routing table that yes these IP Are in use on this network and your provider has to even setup VLAN and route them to your server

Thanked by 1alilet
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@IPXO you may want to clarify this for our members.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

If you got 20+ ranges and one Abuse which does suspend your entire account, that is big fuck you directly in your face.

• @Neoon said:
    If you got 20+ ranges and one Abuse which does suspend your entire account, that is big fuck you directly in your face.

Sad but true.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia

@Neoon said:

Worse than that, it means you cannot use IPXO for any hosting business kind of stuff, or anything where you depend on those IPs. If you provide hosting, abuse reports are nearly guaranteed. Sometimes these are even fake, i know some parties like to make fake abuse reports in masses.

It means IPXO is more or less completely useless or worse imho.

I think there is something missing about some facts

As I know Dedipath was using IPXO, they had tons of spamhaus listing, infect they even got UCEProtect - 3 Listing i.e. their ASN was blacklisted and they did not terminated their account till DP just closed

Even we get few complains almost every alternate day, we have over 11000 IP about 9K from IPXO and remaining our own IP

We discussed with IPXO multiple times over email as well as phone, about all the things before proceeding with them and we also did long term contract.

So after all the discussion they found the right IP Holder who understands abuse and hosting industry and then they allocated me the IP blocks, I did not choose them, of course they gave me list and took my approval for the same

But still all the above experience does worries me but from DP experience I can say some facts are missing or OP chose wrong IP Holder who does not understands how hosting industry works ... but still may be @IPXO can throw more light on it

OP has not yet clarified what kind of abuse complain it was, what kind of service does the OP Provides and also did they do long term contract ?

• RootNerdsRootNerds Member, Host Rep

@HostEONS said:

As I know Dedipath was using IPXO, they had tons of spamhaus listing, infect they even got UCEProtect - 3 Listing i.e. their ASN was blacklisted and they did not terminated their account till DP just closed

Even we get few complains almost every alternate day, we have over 11000 IP about 9K from IPXO and remaining our own IP

We discussed with IPXO multiple times over email as well as phone, about all the things before proceeding with them and we also did long term contract.

So after all the discussion they found the right IP Holder who understands abuse and hosting industry and then they allocated me the IP blocks, I did not choose them, of course they gave me list and took my approval for the same

But still all the above experience does worries me but from DP experience I can say some facts are missing or OP chose wrong IP Holder who does not understands how hosting industry works ... but still may be @IPXO can throw more light on it

OP has not yet clarified what kind of abuse complain it was, what kind of service does the OP Provides and also did they do long term contract ?

OP got SBLed and the account got terminated, @CyberSasu, why dont you try getting the listing removed and then request IPXO to keep the ranges?

@RootNerds said:

@HostEONS said:

OP got SBLed and the account got terminated, @CyberSasu, why dont you try getting the listing removed and then request IPXO to keep the ranges?

OP got SBLed but what was the reason

Can the OP share the listing reason ?

What kind of services does the OP Provide ?

What was the ASN on which these IP were announced ?

Was company verification completed successfully ?

Long Term Contract ?

• RootNerdsRootNerds Member, Host Rep

Id assume, OP got leased IPs from IPXO, sold to spammers and got listed.

edited September 2023

@RootNerds said:

That;s what always happens, but what kind of services does the OP SELL ?

Contract ?

Which ASN ? What if it was UCE3 Listed ASN ? May be some shady companies ASN ?

There are too many possibilities

Was any abuse complain ignored ?

did the OP discussed with IPXO what these IP will be used for ? and asked IPXO to find the right IP holder ?

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep

@HostEONS said:

@RootNerds said:

Contract ?

Just curious, who is using Uceprotect anymore? And who cares about what they list in their worthless website?! If you rely on uceprotect, then OVH should be banned completely since almost all their ips are listed there. A oneman/website who list the ASN and whole ips and then request enormous amount to delist it, really?

@AlbaHost said:

@HostEONS said:

@RootNerds said:

Contract ?

Just curious, who is using Uceprotect anymore? And who cares about what they list in their worthless website?! If you rely on uceprotect, then OVH should be banned completely since almost all their ips are listed there. A oneman/website who list the ASN and whole ips and then request enormous amount to delist it, really?

Yup UCE is just meant to make money, but if there is UCE 3 listing then IPXO does not allows IP to be announced on those ASN

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2023

@HostEONS said:

@AlbaHost said:

@HostEONS said:

@RootNerds said:

Contract ?

Yup UCE is just meant to make money, but if there is UCE 3 listing then IPXO does not allows IP to be announced on those ASN

Fantastic, one more reason NOT to use ipxo. Oh and btw, i am still waiting IPXO to refund our money in which there was a /24 subnet listen on IPXO with as per them "error in price set" i asked their support if that is OK, they said yes it is OK. after 2 days after i announce it to our ASN, i got an email from them that the price set was an error and they have to terminate the subnet. So, it's a NO-NO for us to go with ipxo anymore.

Thanked by 2HostEONS Patriarch