Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would You Start Using A Vps Service Without A Dedicated Public IP ?? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would You Start Using A Vps Service Without A Dedicated Public IP ??

2»

Comments

• vbavba Member

Oh you mean like haproxy,,
    So you can redirect any port to specific vps port with local ip address

My friend using this and giving about 10 ports for each user, now he has more than 100 users and that is not stable, somehow sometimes haproxy response is broken so have to restart services

• ispdashboardispdashboard Member
    edited August 2023

@truweb said:
    If it's not to run a specific server (web, email, ...) I wouldn't mind having a shared public IP.
    For my projects, an IPv6 is enough.
    In the company where I work, we have a paid IPv4/22 block and a "free" IPv6/32. 1000 USD per year approximately to maintain these blocks.

IPv6 is not a problem. And of course in the "end" we all have to switch to this method. For now I still prefer to use IPv4 as long as it is possible. Hopefully you do not mind ;-)

And for just 2,50 Euro per month I will have a non-shared public ip per vps. But if it is not needed to order them additionally it saves a few Euro's. With the quantity of vps's I am using now it saves some really large amounts of money. (Those vps's are not only used by me of course!)

Thanked by 1truweb
  • MaxRMaxR Barred
    edited August 2023

@ispdashboard said:

Are you sure you're talking about VPS and not shared web hosting?

Vps - Virtual Private Hosting - indeed. No absolutely no shared hosting.

• MaxRMaxR Barred
    edited August 2023

@ispdashboard said:
    And for just 2,50 Euro per month I will have a non-shared public ip per vps.

You might want to budget some time and money for handling abuse because that is the type of customer you will attract with low prices and shared IP addresses.

Many providers have stopped selling NAT IPv4 VPSs because of all the abuse, complaints, and blacklisted IP addresses.

• I don't like nat vps,I'm afraid my neighbour did bad things lmao

• so what will happend if I run git clone something on that server?

• MaxRMaxR Barred

@kikuri said:
    I don't like nat vps,I'm afraid my neighbour did bad things lmao

That was not what I wrote, but feel free to "lmao" over your own stupidity.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2023

Pointless to have VPS without any public IP address, the users can spin a free virtual machine on their PC, using such utilities like: VirtualBox

To OP: you forgot to add option to your poll: no thanks as it’s pointless

Thanked by 1truweb
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@truweb said: If it's not to run a specific server (web, email, ...) I wouldn't mind having a shared public IP.

If the host offers a reverse proxy with your domain(s) then you could run that as well over IPv4 if you have to and not using cloudflare and other things like that.

Thanked by 1truweb
  • @MaxR said:

I'm really sorry, I didn't mean any harm. Please forget about me.

Thanked by 1fluffernutter
  • MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@bermudi said:

@szymonp said: This won't work btw as vhosts only work for web traffic, ssh resolves domain

yup, because http is layer 7 and ssh is layer 4.

Um what? SSH is layer 7.

Layer 7 simply means application layer.

• I'd definitely buy a VPS without a public IP address (i.e. no IPv4 or IPv6).

Ideally air gapped - means it's a bit more secure.

• I must be stupid - I don't understand

ssh [email protected]

ssh requests ip (via dns resolution) for mydomain.com and then proceeds to establish a connection to that ip address on (normally) port 22.

If haproxy is on port 22 at that destination ip address, how does it know which internal ip to send the data to as it does not know the original domain name used (mydomain.com) ?

• I would definitely require a dedicated IP address with my VPS - I don't care what others have to do with it.

• sixsix Member

@board said:
    I'd definitely buy a VPS without a public IP address (i.e. no IPv4 or IPv6).

What would you even use this for? No SSH, no sort of connectivity in or out except maybe some VNC from the provider. I'm curious what you could even run on that which could be useful.

• @MaxR said:

@kikuri said:
    I don't like nat vps,I'm afraid my neighbour did bad things lmao

Hey don't be mean. They were agreeing with you, not making fun

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@six said: What would you even use this for?

That was a joke (at least I hope so).

Thanked by 1six
  • @six said:

@board said:

What would you even use this for? No SSH, no sort of connectivity in or out except maybe some VNC from the provider. I'm curious what you could even run on that which could be useful.

Why no SSH ? I never said there is no SSH.

• I thought NAT would work too. But a few days ago, I suddenly saw an application scenario. No public IPv4 is very inconvenient. I can’t remember what it is now.

• You mean some sort of "jumpserver" with your ssh idea?

• @webcraft said:
    You mean some sort of "jumpserver" with your ssh idea?

I am not talking about a jump-server idea. Explained it a bit earlier already. It is done by a reverse proxy which sends the SSH request to a server depending on the domain name which was used to request the SSH connectivity. Works great honestly.

1. IPs DO cost money to providers. Whether they are leasing them, or own them, they still pay yearly fees.
    2. If you need a bunch of IPs from a provider, why not just lease your own subnet, and either have it announced under your ASN, or theirs? You can get subnets down to like $0.35/IP anyways if needed.

If you don't want to pay $3 per IP, and use about 30 IPs, may be time to look into getting your own subnet :)

• Day 3.

No one knows how it works [except OP, but he is having hard time to explain it].
    No one thinks it's possible as SSH protocol don't have such things.

Will there be any development on Day 4?!

Thanked by 2webcraft BasToTheMax
  • sixsix Member

@ispdashboard said:

@six said:

@board said:

Why no SSH ? I never said there is no SSH.

How are you going to use SSH? That's not airgapped. Unless you have something like the hypervisor with a custom ssh server to forward connections, either through local network or to serial, I fail to find any usefulness of running that. You can't run services, use it as your own computer, update anything, download new packages. Sounds completely useless.

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

@ispdashboard said:

@webcraft said:
    You mean some sort of "jumpserver" with your ssh idea?

I am not talking about a jump-server idea. Explained it a bit earlier already. It is done by a reverse proxy which sends the SSH request to a server depending on the domain name which was used to request the SSH connectivity. Works great honestly.

The SSH protocol does not support domain based routing/forwarding... (as everyone has been saying)

• @ispdashboard

In theory, one can link the user's home IPv4 with a specific server, this is how NextDNS identifies the user from a barebone plain DNS query if the user's device doesn't have IPv6/encrypted DNS support. But this linking must be done before connecting, regularly updated when the user's IPv4 address change, and carry a small risk of collision if multiple users have the same IP from their ISP.

Plus this method doesn't care about what domain is being used, as pointed out by everyone else in this thread, SSH doesn't carry domain information. Unlike DNS, most SSH clients can happily use different ports, so whatever your workaround is going to be much more complicated and prone to breaking than just assigning a unique port.

• Already pointless for me since OP said IP is free

• @JabJab said: Will there be any development on Day 4?!

Day 4 development:

OP has started another vague topic/project, still couldn't deliver on first one.
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/188029/would-you-like-to-help-me-testing-some-wordpress-hosting-setups