Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would You Start Using A Vps Service Without A Dedicated Public IP ??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Let me explain why I am asking this question: Many Dedicated Server providers are able to provide really nice server configurations for very nice prices. But the moment you like to assign a dedicated public ip per created vps on this server they are asking ~2,50 Euro/Usd per ip address.

As far as I know ip addresses are free (yes I am aware providers need to earn money too, and even if they are getting the ips for free, there are other related costs)

Vps's without a public ip address are still completely manageable and reachable on the Internet as long as you are able to use a reverse proxy and so it is not really a problem.

But are you renting / using such a Vps ? I am just curious .. Thank you for your comments.

Enjoy your weekend!

1. No. I want a public IP address with each Vps I am using.41 votes
    1. Yes. As long as my domain names and server related services are available.
      34.15%
    2. I do not really care. As long as it is working I am okay.
      31.71%
    3. If there is an option to buy / rent one for some additional fees it is okay.
      34.15%

Comments

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

@ispdashboard said: As far as I know ip addresses are free (yes I am aware providers need to earn money too, and even if they are getting the ips for free, there are other related costs)

>

Free? Where? I'm want a /24

• It really depends on the use case. For quite a lot of use cases I can live without public IP, but having one does save a lot of headaches. What are the specs?

• DotDot Member

You mean a nat VPS?

• Only IPv4 behind the NAT ... no go for me, however I don't mind if there's no dedicated IPv4 for plenty of things as long there's a dedicated IPv6 subnet.

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

IP addresses are not free. Provider needs to pay annual fees.

• cxgcxg Member

Prior to checking ipv6 adoption (because of this post) I believed ipv6 is sufficient for everybody.
    I was shocked :o seeing ipv6 adoption is below 50% worldwide.

• @Mumbly said:
    Only IPv4 behind the NAT ... no go for me, however I don't mind if there's no dedicated IPv4 for plenty of things as long there's a dedicated IPv6 subnet.

I second this. NAT IPv4 + IPv6 or just IPv6 would work absolutely fine. There are ways to make it reachable to the legacy Internet.

Afaik, Hetzner already offers this. IPv4 is optional and this could save you some EUR on non-public facing servers.

Thanked by 1xms
  • @Pixels said:

@Mumbly said:
    Only IPv4 behind the NAT ... no go for me, however I don't mind if there's no dedicated IPv4 for plenty of things as long there's a dedicated IPv6 subnet.

I second this. NAT IPv4 + IPv6 or just IPv6 would work absolutely fine. There are ways to make it reachable to the legacy Internet.

Afaik, Hetzner already offers this. IPv4 is optional and this could save you some EUR on non-public facing servers.

Many thanks for your answer ... I just like to know if it is worth setting-up such services and because I am not able to get hundreds of ip addresses - besides ordering and paying for them one by one - I want to know what people think about it.

Thank you again and enjoy your day!

• @Kousaka said:
    It really depends on the use case. For quite a lot of use cases I can live without public IP, but having one does save a lot of headaches. What are the specs?

Maybe I did not explain it good enough ... There is a public - but shared - ip address. And of course your Vps will be available with Ssh etc by a domain name .. And your websites will be assigned to this - shared - public ip too.

So in the end there is not really a big difference ... Just curious about your opinions ...

• ispdashboardispdashboard Member
    edited August 2023

@Mumbly said:

Not NAT! Read this one please: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3701229/#Comment_3701229

• give me a dedicated ipv6 with ipv4 nat for ssh access then I am good !

• @ispdashboard said: There is a public - but shared - ip address.

@ispdashboard said: Not NAT!

but... how do you share an IP between different VPSs without NAT?

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • @ispdashboard said:

@Mumbly said:

Not NAT! Read this one please: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3701229/#Comment_3701229

Are you sure you're talking about VPS and not shared web hosting?

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

I give for my customers one subnet /24 from 192.168.0.0/16, so it it possible to give them free and still be profitable.

• @bermudi said:

@ispdashboard said: There is a public - but shared - ip address.

magic

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • @FlorinMarian said:
    I give for my customers one subnet /24 from 192.168.0.0/16, so it it possible to give them free and still be profitable.

oh may i suggest 10.0.0.0/16?

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • where is the no option lol

Thanked by 24pple5auc3 MannDude
  • @Mumbly said:

@ispdashboard said:

@Mumbly said:

Are you sure you're talking about VPS and not shared web hosting?

Vps - Virtual Private Hosting - indeed. No absolutely no shared hosting. I meantioned Vps earlier as far as I remember. And no I am not doing anything with shared hosting.

• @Otus9051 said:

@bermudi said:

magic

Example:

Ip Address: 10.20.30.40 (Let's say this is a public ip!)

Vps 1: ssh [email protected]
    Vps 2: ssh [email protected]

Both Vps's are hosted on the same host server (the Vps is running with Kvm, VirtualBox, Lxc, or what ever). By using a reverse-proxy (Nginx or HaProxy) you are able to redirect both Vps1 and Vps2 domains to different internal ips.

Doesn't matter if it is webhosting, ftp, ssh, or what ever ... Not too hard. Doing it all the time. Some servers (dedicated / colocated) are running with this method 100+ Vps's ...

Understand ? Otherwise please ask me ... Will try to provide even more details if you want. Not a problem!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2023

@ispdashboard said: Understand ?

That is not even NAT.

I understand the reverse proxy access, but how would the outgoing connections reach the legacy internet? Also through a proxy?

At this time an IPv6 vm with NAT IPv4 is perfect for my needs.

• @Maounique said:

@ispdashboard said: Understand ?

That is not even NAT.

I understand the reverse proxy access, but how would the outgoing connections reach the legacy internet? Also through a proxy?

At this time an IPv6 vm with NAT IPv4 is perfect for my needs.

May I show you an fully featured example so you will get an idea how it works ?

@ispdashboard said: May I show you an fully featured example so you will get an idea how it works ?

I know how a proxy and reverse proxy work, I know how NAT works, is your idea different than those things?

• SSH doesn't have vhosts afaik

@ispdashboard said:

@Otus9051 said:

@bermudi said:

magic

Example:

Ip Address: 10.20.30.40 (Let's say this is a public ip!)

Vps 1: ssh [email protected]
    Vps 2: ssh [email protected]

Both Vps's are hosted on the same host server (the Vps is running with Kvm, VirtualBox, Lxc, or what ever). By using a reverse-proxy (Nginx or HaProxy) you are able to redirect both Vps1 and Vps2 domains to different internal ips.

Doesn't matter if it is webhosting, ftp, ssh, or what ever ... Not too hard. Doing it all the time. Some servers (dedicated / colocated) are running with this method 100+ Vps's ...

Understand ? Otherwise please ask me ... Will try to provide even more details if you want. Not a problem!

• @ispdashboard said: redirect both Vps1 and Vps2 domains to different internal ips

That's what I know as NAT

• @bermudi said:

@ispdashboard said: redirect both Vps1 and Vps2 domains to different internal ips

That's what I know as NAT

Nope NAT is port redirection kinda like on a home wifi router, he is talking about using web server vhosts... This won't work btw as vhosts only work for web traffic, ssh resolves domain and connects to IP so the server doesn't know what domain you tried connecting to.

• @szymonp said: This won't work btw as vhosts only work for web traffic, ssh resolves domain

yup, because http is layer 7 and ssh is layer 4.

@bermudi said: yup, because http is layer 7 and ssh is layer 4.

TBH I have no idea what are they talking about. Maybe offering reverse proxy for your domain hosting as an extra and NAT otherwise? So you can use port 80/443 instead of some other ugly redirect.

But it is unclear, so I hope for more clarifications.

Thanked by 1bermudi
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

I prefer VPS without public IP. Public IP should be on the router and load balancer.

Thanked by 2yoursunny mrTom
  • @Maounique said:

@bermudi said: yup, because http is layer 7 and ssh is layer 4.

TBH I have no idea what are they talking about. Maybe offering reverse proxy for your domain hosting as an extra and NAT otherwise? So you can use port 80/443 instead of some other ugly redirect.

But it is unclear, so I hope for more clarifications.

Yeah that's how NAT VPS's already work, OP though he had some big new idea 💀

• If it's not to run a specific server (web, email, ...) I wouldn't mind having a shared public IP.
    For my projects, an IPv6 is enough.
    In the company where I work, we have a paid IPv4/22 block and a "free" IPv6/32. 1000 USD per year approximately to maintain these blocks.