Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is NordVPN a bad choice? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

is NordVPN a bad choice?

2»

Comments

• @Advin said:
    I tend to prefer Mullvad. Mullvad is a completely no-BS VPN provider which is what I like most about it. It is simple and secure, it serves its purpose well and is just a flat 5 euro monthly fee. I don't really know about the privacy aspect of Mullvad (i.e. logging) but I've heard that they're one of the best VPN providers for privacy/anonymity too.

Nord is also pretty fine if you pay for a 24 month plan in advance (for the pricing). If you're trying to become the next Snowden, obviously Nord won't be suited for you, but for 99% of people it'll be fine. Servers will most likely be very fast.

There are also some other VPN providers like PrivateInternetAccess that are more similar to Nord, which I think you should check out.

Then you also should take a closer look to
    iVPN.net and Doublehop.me

Both with Mullvad VPN are great solutions for privacy or anonymity regarding how transparent they are :)

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2023

Whatever happened with the idea of a NAT VPS paid with crypto and configured as VPN. After all, this is a community around the low end, bare bones, minimal and with the least possible requirements.

• It would seem including Mulvad use M247 network

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited August 2023

@JohnFilch123 said:
    Just spin up your own vpn server, easy, cheap and pretty private

You want to blend in, not stand out.

If you’re using a VPN for business or server hardening that works, but you’re probably going to be issued a datacenter IP, which results in constant captchas.

@socialzzz said:

It would seem including Mulvad use M247 network

A lot of VPNs rely on M247 and Quadranet.

• Moved to mullvad after my sub expired but nords price is really good if you just want something quick and cheap

• +1 for Mullvad, been using that for 2 years now

• Host your own VPN.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited August 2023

@default said:
    For privacy NordVPN is good; but then again some other VPNs are also good.

For anonymity - this becomes a completely different topic. No consumer knows if they truly provide anonymity, because most likely management has some logs to cover the company's ass.

Speaking of that...

A VPN Isn’t the Right Solution for Anonymity – You Need To Be Using Tor, Here’s Why…

P.S. Interview with @wdmg - previous Kiwi Farms host and former CEO of Tempest Hosting coming soon.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@SirFoxy said:

@JohnFilch123 said:

If you’re using a VPN for business or server hardening that works, but you’re probably going to be issued a datacenter IP, which results in constant captchas.

@socialzzz said:

I'm still not convinced M247 isn't a reallocation of Crypto AG resources. One network that everyone who wants to hide their identity almost exclusively goes through, Nazi America resisting forcing their way into that door sounds like wishful thinking.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @jar said:

@SirFoxy said:

@JohnFilch123 said:

@socialzzz said:

I'm still not convinced M247 isn't a reallocation of Crypto AG resources. One network that everyone who wants to hide their identity almost exclusively goes through, Nazi America resisting forcing their way into that door sounds like wishful thinking.

Don't worry, your traffic is encrypted straight to NSA.

Thanked by 2jar socialzzz
  • RUSSRUSS Member

sometimes it's stuck on connection.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

If you do purchase from NordVPN make sure that you do purchase with at least 60% discount, various options available (banks, credit card, cashback website, etc)

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited August 2023

@WebProject said:
    If you do purchase from NordVPN make sure that you do purchase with at least 60% discount, various options available (banks, credit card, cashback website, etc)

My favourite US cash back site (TopCashback) has 90% cash back for NordVPN at the moment. https://www.cashbackmonitor.com/cashback-store/nordvpn/ They actually had 100% cash back for a while at the start of the year.

@default said: Whatever happened with the idea of a NAT VPS paid with crypto and configured as VPN.

You end up with a constant IP that not many people use. With a commercial VPN service, the IPs change and there's probably tens or hundreds of thousands of people using the same IPs, so it's harder to differentiate your traffic from others.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • @SirFoxy said: A VPN Isn’t the Right Solution for Anonymity – You Need To Be Using Tor, Here’s Why…

Tor is slow—very slow. Additionally, you will always need to place trust in someone: your ISP, your VPN provider, the individuals hosting the Tor nodes, the website administrators, and the website hosts. There are indeed many parties involved. Therefore, asserting outright that "VPN Isn’t the Right Solution for Anonymity" is not entirely fair.

Moreover, certain VPNs have demonstrated their commitment to privacy, like Mullvad. When subjected to a raid by Swedish authorities, they returned empty-handed due to Mullvad's lack of logs.

• @sillycat said:

@SirFoxy said: A VPN Isn’t the Right Solution for Anonymity – You Need To Be Using Tor, Here’s Why…

Tor is slow—very slow. Additionally, you will always need to place trust in someone: your ISP, your VPN provider, the individuals hosting the Tor nodes, the website administrators, and the website hosts. There are indeed many parties involved. Therefore, asserting outright that "VPN Isn’t the Right Solution for Anonymity" is not entirely fair.

Moreover, certain VPNs have demonstrated their commitment to privacy, like Mullvad. When subjected to a raid by Swedish authorities, they returned empty-handed due to Mullvad's lack of logs.

It’s slow because of entry, middle, and exit nodes. That’s also why trust doesn’t matter. Anonymity by design, not trust.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • should checkout mental outlaw on youtube. he has a bunch of very informative videos on self hosted vpn's and whatnot