Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is NordVPN a bad choice?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

is NordVPN a bad choice?

pretty simple question is NordVPN a bad choice? are they really that private?

Thanked by 1truweb

Comments

• emghemgh Member

They’re decent enough

However, I’d feel better using a service marketed towards people who know what they’re doing and not in YouTube videos saying that you won’t get hacked anymore if you buy Nord lol

Therefore, Mullvad

Thanked by 2PineappleM jsg
  • nordvpn does not give a fuck about your privacy lol

• price is like $20 for two years lol with a cashback offer hard to beat.

• emghemgh Member

@SirFoxy said:
    nordvpn does not give a fuck about your privacy lol

They obviously don’t, but they’re far from the worst.

Decent speeds, and no apparent data handover cases from what I know.

Some VPNs are openly handling out data and most aren’t as smooth as Nord.

So while I wouldn’t recommend Nord to anyone, it’s certainly not the worst.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @emgh said:

@SirFoxy said:

use case scenario is mostly getting around geo restrictions, not really for torrenting. i found Mulvad quite slow in comparison.

• @emgh said:

@SirFoxy said:

I look at NordVPN like a one-night stand. It's dirty, and everyone knows what they're really about... but at the end of the day, it works.

I use Windscribe as my mainstream VPN and it's only because they have funny copy.

Thanked by 2emgh the_doctor
  • emghemgh Member
    edited August 2023

@socialzzz said:
    price is like $20 for two years lol with a cashback offer hard to beat.

Yes, I’d say it depends on your usage.

Will your ISP as well as the police have a much harder time snooping? Yes.

Will you be protected from literally everything online? No.

If you have the money to burn and an actual use case or would feel better knowing you’re harder to spy on, go for it.

Make sure you’re ok with the small added latency, if you’re never activating it it’s not worth it.

Edit: For getting around geo restrictions, if it’s not blocked for what you need, and you get to access stuff you want to access that you otherwise couldn’t, who’s so say it’s not a great VPN?

• it's always on occasion, i wish there was like a block vpn company you just pay for 1TB and it last for however it lasts with a Mulvad type purchasing

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@socialzzz said:
    it's always on occasion, i wish there was like a block vpn company you just pay for 1TB and it last for however it lasts with a Mulvad type purchasing

Yes, I want this too.

I wanted to download 3 seasons of a norwegian series from NRK. Needed a norwegian IP.

Didn’t use a lot of data, maybe about 60 GB.

Things like that occur once in a while for me but just not often enough to justify a VPN subscription.

Ended up just getting a HostHatch VPS, and terminated it within like 2 hours..

• kidrockkidrock Member
    edited August 2023

I am using Nord but not sure if it's fully privacy oriented. If you are really after privacy, take a look at these 3 VPNs recommended by Privacyguides here
    https://www.privacyguides.org/en/vpn/

BTW, Nord provides 90-100% cashback. I bought it with 96% cashback 😁 So you can guess how private they might be lol.

Thanked by 2emgh the_doctor
  • emghemgh Member

@kidrock said:
    I am using Nord but not sure if it's fully privacy oriented. If you are really after privacy, take a look at these 3 VPNs recommended by Privacyguides here
    https://www.privacyguides.org/en/vpn/

Realistically, any VPN with a decent reputation goes a long way compared to not having a VPN at all

I think people overlook the fact that even the very commercialized VPNs (many of them) actually have a decent track record of not handing data over

Compare that to your ISP who, depending on how large they are, likely hand data over on a daily basis

If you do care about privacy, but it’s not a life or death kind of thing (i.e. you’re not Snowden) I honestly can’t blame you for choosing Nord if you can get away with $20 for two years and have great performance at that

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • For privacy NordVPN is good; but then again some other VPNs are also good.

For anonymity - this becomes a completely different topic. No consumer knows if they truly provide anonymity, because most likely management has some logs to cover the company's ass.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited August 2023

@kidrock said:

BTW, Nord provides 90-100% cashback. I bought it with 96% cashback 😁 So you can guess how private they might be lol.

Usually just affiliate programs where the publisher (often with a better negotiated commission) takes a % and gives the rest back to the one converting

https://nordvpn.com/en/affiliate/

Try yourself, you won’t get any secret personal details that nobody knows about

It dosen’t make the VPN less private

Although the commercialized VPNs usually have Google tracking all over them lol

Thanked by 2kidrock lll
  • emghemgh Member

@default said:
    For privacy NordVPN is good; but then again some other VPNs are also good.

For anonymity - this becomes a completely different topic. No consumer knows if they truly provide anonymity, because most likely management has some logs to cover the company's ass.

I disagree, but then again, it’s only relevant if you’re Snowden or some oil dictator

If Sweden asks NordVPN to send my browsing history because they think I might have done some petty crime, ain’t no way Nord will just send them my data

This all matters for some, no doubt, but probably not for anyone here

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • edited August 2023

NordVPN runs proxies on each of their servers alongside the VPN endpoint and has an API. That's a huge leg up over other providers for certain use cases.

@emgh said:

Yeah I have a hard time wrapping my head around the kind of traffic people here are trying to hide that they need super uber private VPN.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @CyberneticTitan said:
    NordVPN runs proxies on each of their servers alongside the VPN endpoint and has an API. That's a huge leg up over other providers for certain use cases.

@emgh said:

Yeah I have a hard time wrapping my head around the kind of traffic people here are trying to hide that they need super uber private VPN.

Use Tor when you want to be anonymous, not a VPN.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • What about ProtonVPN free?

• just use a self hosted vps as your vpn and if you really want better privacy then use mullvad paid in monero

• They're decent, but I still prefer Mullvad.

• Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited August 2023

@socialzzz said:
    What about ProtonVPN free?

General rule of thumb with digital stuff... if it's free, it's likely the antithesis of privacy. At a minimum, you're 100% getting logged one way or another.

Running servers costs money and someone's footing the bill somewhere.

As far as Proton goes, I wouldn't use them for anything, free or paid, but that's just me.

Thanked by 1babywhale
  • @Don_Keedic said:

@socialzzz said:

General rule of thumb with digital stuff... if it's free, it's likely the antithesis of privacy. At a minimum, you're 100% getting logged one way or another.

As far as Proton goes, I wouldn't use them for anything, free or paid, but that's just me.

absolutely, if your not paying for anything and its free then you yourself are the product.

• Mullvad is my choice

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited August 2023

@SirFoxy said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

@emgh said:

Use Tor when you want to be anonymous, not a VPN.

But, it’s crazy slow, if the choice was Tor or not Tor, most people wouldn’t ever want to be anonymous since you’d have to be fine with dial up speeds

A commercial VPN is a good middleground for when your life isn’t on the line and you want both privacy and speed (but neither maximum of both)

Edit: But obviously switch to Tor when you do your daily bank robberies etc

• I avoid nord because the on-your-face ads everywhere. Most tech youtubers that also talked about security or privacy usually also promote aka shill nord, because they got paid for it. Those vpn website that have list of the cliche "Top 10 VPN of the year xxxx" also put nord at #1 because they're being paid for it. Also, the permanent countdown on their site that goes to 0 then restart again, urging you to subscribe. Might aswell put that ads money to improve the service, and put an end to that stupid countdown.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2023

@Don_Keedic said:

@socialzzz said:

Proton is pretty massive and I believe they're pretty okay. The free plan is very limited and I believe they slow down/deprioritize traffic from "free" servers along with only allowing very specific locations (probably one's with cheaper bandwidth) to try to get you on their paid plans. They also have a lot of other services like ProtonMail, ProtonDrive, ProtonPass, and ProtonCalander.

They really do push you to upgrade to paid plans though, and that's how they make most of their revenue. The revenue they get from those paid plans most likely pays for the free plans.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2023

I tend to prefer Mullvad. Mullvad is a completely no-BS VPN provider which is what I like most about it. It is simple and secure, it serves its purpose well and is just a flat 5 euro monthly fee. I don't really know about the privacy aspect of Mullvad (i.e. logging) but I've heard that they're one of the best VPN providers for privacy/anonymity too.

Nord is also pretty fine if you pay for a 24 month plan in advance (for the pricing). If you're trying to become the next Snowden, obviously Nord won't be suited for you, but for 99% of people it'll be fine. Servers will most likely be very fast.

There are also some other VPN providers like PrivateInternetAccess that are more similar to Nord, which I think you should check out.

• lol they are not private

• Just spin up your own vpn server, easy, cheap and pretty private

• I've had issues with unblocking streaming with their services. support told me to use the browser extension and when I told them I cannot really do that on mobile they essentially told me "¯_(ツ)_/¯"

• If you want to use a provider like NordVPN, I'd rather grab a lifetime VPN like Ivacy or FastestVPN for 20-40$ which can for the most part do the same, but doesn't result in a recurring fee/sub. Keepsolid/VPN Unlimited Lifetime is also a solid choice. Of course, it depends on the use case, but if you didn't want to get NordVPN for any of its' marketing features, Ivacy/FastestVPN/Keepsolid should be able to do the same for the most part.