Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 7950x has very strong performance, here are some tests
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The 7950x has very strong performance, here are some tests

danblazedanblaze Member
edited July 2023 in General

As CPUs go, the 7950x is pretty cool stuff - there's an extremely high main clock, and thanks to the platform advantage, there's also very high-frequency memory, and a very fast hard disk.

Usually it's at least 4800Mhz memory frequency, and Gen4 Nvme-based SSDs.

The downside - 7950x is really expensive, and not easy to oversell.

RAM can only stay high frequency with dual slots, so a host can only do 128GB of RAM; and Gen4 Nvme is also more expensive stuff.

This makes the 7950x host, while being a fast and powerful performance beast, also something more expensive and less lowendtalk.

But it's still very good.

I recently purchased two of the top forum providers (in my opinion!) 's 7950x products from @hybula and @crunchbits , and here are some short tests to help those in need.

First up, Hybula:

Processor - 7950x one core
RAM - 2GB
Hard Disk - 50GB

Here are the yabs Partial summary (Just the part about disk performance and cpu scores.)

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size | 4k (IOPS) | 64k (IOPS)
------ | --- ---- | ---- ----
Read | 734.61 MB/s (183.6k) | 3.60 GB/s (56.2k)
Write | 736.55 MB/s (184.1k) | 3.61 GB/s (56.5k)
Total | 1.47 GB/s (367.7k) | 7.21 GB/s (112.7k)
| |
Block Size | 512k (IOPS) | 1m (IOPS)
------ | --- ---- | ---- ----
Read | 2.64 GB/s (5.1k) | 3.22 GB/s (3.1k)
Write | 2.79 GB/s (5.4k) | 3.43 GB/s (3.3k)
Total | 5.44 GB/s (10.6k) | 6.65 GB/s (6.5k)

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:

Test | Value
|
Single Core | 2733
Multi Core | 2742

And then the crunchbits:

Processor - 7950x four core
RAM - 8GB
Hard Disk - 200GB

Here are the yabs Partial summary (Just the part about disk performance and cpu scores.)

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
Read 558.35 MB/s (139.5k) 3.49 GB/s (54.6k)
Write 559.82 MB/s (139.9k) 3.51 GB/s (54.9k)
Total 1.11 GB/s (279.5k) 7.01 GB/s (109.5k)
Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
------ --- ---- ---- ----
Read 2.82 GB/s (5.5k) 3.09 GB/s (3.0k)
Write 2.97 GB/s (5.8k) 3.30 GB/s (3.2k)
Total 5.80 GB/s (11.3k) 6.40 GB/s (6.2k)

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:

Test | Value
|
Single Core | 2802
Multi Core | 8681

And finally some personal comments:

The 7950x and its accompanying platform are powerful.

For many programs that are not optimized for multi-threaded loads, a powerful single core performance processor, is very important.

It's kind of like how gamers will always choose a high-frequency-first processor. Many games still can't use more than four threads. Many programs also don't make good use of multithreading.

In my use, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my web programs loaded and responded a lot faster, especially when there was a lot of dynamic content. I can easily get some low response latency which speeds up the opening for the user.

Some doubts:

How stable is it compared to the EPYC platform?

I've noticed that this doesn't seem to work with ECC memory, will this be a potential issue?

Thanked by 1Merakith

Comments

• anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited July 2023

I’m pretty sure it works with ECC and you can go up to 192GB RAM.

Reliablesite sells such configurations.

Thanked by 1MrRadic
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@anbelevebel said:

I confirm it works with ECC. We have plenty of these dedis:
    https://netdynamics24.com/client/order.php?step=1&productGroup=10

• danblazedanblaze Member
    edited July 2023

@anbelevebel said:

The Ryzen 7000-series platform only maintains high frequencies with dual-slot memory.

What is the maximum capacity of a single strip of mass-produced ddr5? I think this is a constraint point.

• HybulaHybula Member, Patron Provider

Thank you for mentioning us and being our customer @danblaze!

Ryzen certainly supports ECC (unbuffered) and we use it on all our nodes, that's also the reason why we are limited to 128 GB RAM. We soon have a new node for a different product with 4x 48GB DIMMs, those are non-ECC. Most of the providers here do not use ECC with Ryzen.

AM5 supports 4800 MT/s speed with 2 ECC DIMMs populated, when you populate them all 4 you will get max 3600 MT/s. Note that it also depends on motherboard/RAM combination.

We tried to push our Ryzen platforms as much as possible towards an enterprise level, however, we still recommend real platforms like our EPYC nodes.

Also, note that DDR5 On-Die ECC is not the same as UDIMM/RDIMM ECC.

Thanked by 2Merakith kasodk
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host
    edited July 2023

@danblaze appreciate the information and mention. Following up @Hybula, those are all accurate. We also use actual DDR5 ECC in the hypervisors, and we're keeping it to 2 DIMMs to keep the VDS with the higher clocked DDR5 speeds. If you want bigger RAM and ~3600MHz (3200MHz) is fine, I'd just recommend someone getting our 5950X stuff and saving money :smile:

Definitely a ton of power though. A single dedicated core of the 7950X is outperforming entire CPUs of previous generations--which I still think are pretty solid and usable.

EDIT: I forgot, but @febryanvaldo actually did a pretty thorough testing of one of our 7950X VDSes.

• You will never go wrong with Ryzen 7950X/3D :D

@Hybula Sector Cloud Gen3 (Ryzen 9 7950X) is using air cooling, they called it "high airflow cooling" and running with ECO Mode.

while @crunchbits is using water cooling, and i think they fine-tuned the processor, as you can see their single or multi core is higher than "average" of Ryzen 9 7950X/3D that i have benchmarked.

But still it's Ryzen 9 7950X, it's hella fast, not so cheap, but i think it's worth it for the price.

• AMD and Ryzen ftw.

• @cybertech said:
    AMD and Ryzen ftw.

even for wp hosting?

• @hyperblast said:

@cybertech said:
    AMD and Ryzen ftw.

even for wp hosting?

for anything that requires proper horsepower.

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • @cybertech said:

@hyperblast said:

@cybertech said:
    AMD and Ryzen ftw.

even for wp hosting?

my old fashioned hosting at all-inkl.com can compete with horsepower-providers, i am surprised...

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3694266/#Comment_3694266

• @hyperblast said:

@cybertech said:

@hyperblast said:

@cybertech said:
    AMD and Ryzen ftw.

even for wp hosting?

my old fashioned hosting at all-inkl.com can compete with horsepower-providers, i am surprised...

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3694266/#Comment_3694266

i don't understand how that post proves otherwise

• aliletalilet Member

@hyperblast said:

@cybertech said:
    AMD and Ryzen ftw.

even for wp hosting?

Especially for WP hosting because its single core performance is very fast and PHP being single threaded, it really helps. More detail about WP performance with Ryzen 7000 in this thread:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/187257/high-frequency-modern-fast-cpu-vps-hosts-on-let/p1