Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spry Servers closing down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spry Servers closing down

yoshikiyoshiki Member
edited July 2023 in Providers

Just received this email (Urgent: Immediate Closure of Spry Servers - All operations ceasing):

Dear [name name],

With a heavy heart, I must announce Spry Servers will be discontinuing operations, effective immediately.

Due to unforseen circumstances, we have accumulated profound debt which we cannot resolve. We’ve made numerous attempts to work on a solution with our data center provider, Evocative, to no avail. They have ignored our offers and suggestions for to a way toward a resolution. On Friday, 07/14/23, they discontinued all network services and locked us out of the facility.

We have no way to recover our hardware or any data within the facility. We’ve been attempting alternative solutions, such as the sale of Spry Servers. We have not been successful. It is now my sad duty to inform you the only choice left is to cease operations completely.

As of now, any services which were hosted within the Phoenix datacenter are unavailable, and are not recoverable. This includes spryCloud, dedicated servers, VPS, shared hosting, etc.

If you have a domain registered with us, we ask you to please initiate transfer to a new registrar. If you are a shared hosting client in Dallas, we request you find a new web host to transfer your data to prior to services shutting down in Dallas. All Spry Servers servers and other operations will completely cease on or before 07/25/23.

For those of you who purchased a Microsoft 365 subscription from us, please contact Microsoft to arrange the transfer out of the CSP agreement to either their business direct agreement or find another CSP to service your account.

To those making use of our colocation service in Phoenix, we ask you or your attorney please contact Evocative directly to arrange for the return of your equipment. Spry Servers is unable to assist you in recovering your equipment. Evocative refuses to release any equipment to us. Please direct your correspondence to the following addresses:

*** Evocative mail addresses redacted by moderator ***

I profoundly regret the upheaval this has caused and understand this will cost you and/or your company considerable time and money. For all of this, I am truly sorry.

I personally appreciate all the business our customers have given us over the last decade. I have come to look at Spry Servers’ customers as family. This is a heartbreaking moment for me. I cannot express the sadness I feel at having to do this, however my hands are tied.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for being a loyal and valuable customer of Spry Servers. I wish you peace and prosperity in the years to come. You will all always hold a place in my heart for being part of the Spry Servers family.

Sincerely,
Tab Fitts
Founder/CEO
Spry Servers, LLC

Comments

• VoidVoid Member

Sad. Anyway, can we get the Evocative version of the story ? (2)

Thanked by 2MikeA yoshiki
  • MumblyMumbly Member

@jmaxwell said: Sad. Anyway, can we get the Evocative version of the story ? (2)

Unpaid bills? What else... (2)

@yoshiki said: To those making use of our colocation service in Phoenix, we ask you or your attorney please contact Evocative directly to arrange for the return of your equipment. Spry Servers is unable to assist you in recovering your equipment.

Now that's a real crap.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited July 2023

TL:DR

1. Colocator kicked out due to non-payment.
    2. Customer hardware is held ransom by DC.
    3. Provider washes their hands from this problem since the company is effectively bankrupt and gone now.
    4. Customers must now negotiate for their own hardware according to the provider.
    5. DC prohibits reselling, so provider marked the servers as their own property in order appear larger to the DC and get better deals and in order to resell his rack space with a margin. According to another discussion, this is also how they got so big loans which they had no chances to pay in the first place. So the equipment is also guarantee of existing loan.
    6. DC apparently refuses to release any hardware individually due to outstanding bills, and because its marked as provider's property in their documents, hence in legal standpoint the bankrupt company assumes responsibility in redeeming the equipment.
    7. Provider knows all of the above, and pretends like their end customers could apply for release of equipment, hoping to apply pressure into the DC itself via end user messages.
  • @SpryServers_Tab Mind answering the allegations above?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@stefeman said:
    @SpryServers_Tab Mind answering the allegations above?

Last Active March 2022

• @angstrom said:

@stefeman said:
    @SpryServers_Tab Mind answering the allegations above?

Last Active March 2022

I'll try on LES then.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

The fact that they push the blame on Evocative because of their own debt is just :|

• Just asked for comment from Evocative as kindly as I ever could from neutral perspective, and they just closed the live chat with "no comment".

Thanked by 2kasodk mrTom
  • kasodkkasodk Barred

@SpryServers_Tab said:
    To the dictator: Please feel free to strip me of my provider tag. I won't be paying your invoice.
    To the dictator: Please feel free to strip ..... me of my host rep tag. I have stolen people's hardware and donated it to Evocative.
    Good bye <3

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Sorry but I have redacted all the Evocative staff email addresses in the OP.

What he's basically asking people (or his customers) to do is spam a bunch of Evocative staff members about this when it's his responsibility as the middleman.

• aliletalilet Member

Another one bites the dust.

• @DP said:
    Sorry but I have redacted all the Evocative staff email addresses in the OP.

What he's basically asking people (or his customers) to do is spam a bunch of Evocative staff members about this when it's his responsibility as the middleman.

My bad. I should've erased the emails myself. Won't happen again

Thanked by 1PineappleM
  • If you have equipment elsewhere how do you prevent stuff like above from happening? If my provided bottomed up there’s no way I would want my servers sitting around while I get lawyers involved. Lawyers are slow and the legal process is even slower. I feel terrible for anyone who collocated with them.

Thanked by 1PineappleM
  • Just went back and looked at their offers from the last few years. They were pretty horrible. I doubt this impacts very many people here.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@deadpool said:
    If you have equipment elsewhere how do you prevent stuff like above from happening? If my provided bottomed up there’s no way I would want my servers sitting around while I get lawyers involved. Lawyers are slow and the legal process is even slower. I feel terrible for anyone who collocated with them.

Hire our robot to retrieve your family memories from involucrated providers:
    https://yoursunny.com/t/2021/1302.8/

• LeviLevi Member

@yoshiki said: To those making use of our colocation service in Phoenix, we ask you or your attorney please contact Evocative directly to arrange for the return of your equipment. Spry Servers is unable to assist you in recovering your equipment.

:D epic!!!

• TimRooTimRoo Member

Man it sure is crazy that things are great one day and all of a sudden...bankruptcy! You never can tell what will happen in this economy.

ORRRRRRR these people are absolute pieces of shit that squandered any chance to warn customers about their impending doom.

• Can you really take a business seriously that’s using a $25 ThemeForest theme? I’m not even giving them a shot if it’s ThemeForest or raw whmcs. That shows the effort you put in.

Also, buying drugs in high school should have taught you to never go through a middleman.

• AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2023

@deadpool said:
    If you have equipment elsewhere how do you prevent stuff like above from happening? If my provided bottomed up there’s no way I would want my servers sitting around while I get lawyers involved. Lawyers are slow and the legal process is even slower. I feel terrible for anyone who collocated with them.

You honestly can't do much more than due diligence other than pre-agreed terms with the datacentre operator/owner, your provider and yourself which is incredibly unlikely to be an option in most cases.

In the UK at least, a datacentre would not be allowed to sell the hardware if they had good reason to believe that it was not owned by their direct customer (i.e. resold colo).

Best case is to ensure your colo provider isn't a summer host and has relatively healthy looking financials.

• LeviLevi Member

@TimRoo said: ORRRRRRR these people are absolute pieces of shit that squandered any chance to warn customers about their impending doom.

There is no such thing as a surprise bankruptcy. Usually companies know that hey are fucked up 12 or more months before. Balance sheets does not lie.

Owner of spry is a garbage human who do not respect data of it's customers. Customers who suffer such scummy behavior should sue owner(s) to the last panties.

Thanked by 2msallak1 rafaelscs
  • That's why you should colo with the DC directly.

• SululuSululu Member

@msallak1 said:
    That's why you should colo with the DC directly.

I assume most DCs have minimum capacity requirements? In my country they do. I am guessing that is the reason why most people go through a third party? I stand to be corrected

Thanked by 2msallak1 rafaelscs
  • wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

@msallak1 said:
    That's why you should colo with the DC directly.

If you meet their minimum volume requirements, sure. DCs have power density requirements, etc. I'm sure you're not going to shell out $1500/month for 4kW A/B, an XC and transit just to colo a 1U.

Thanked by 1msallak1
  • So they don't pay their bills but Evocative are the bad guys for not working with them?

• drama
    spicy

• LeviLevi Member

@moontakane said:
    So they don't pay their bills but Evocative are the bad guys for not working with them?

Well, MaxKVM pulled this and they are still online.

• @LTniger said:

@moontakane said:
    So they don't pay their bills but Evocative are the bad guys for not working with them?

Well, MaxKVM pulled this and they are still online.

they were kicked out due reasons other than non payment iirc

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2023

I guess that spammer money from radwebhosting wasn't enough. But great to see they're down. I mourn for no spammer. Last year I told them as a courtesy, "The most valuable export from your network is spam." It was a courtesy because it was to give them a chance to fix it, and it wasn't wrong.

Thanked by 1Otus9051