Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Battle of Providers - OVH VS Hetzner - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The Battle of Providers - OVH VS Hetzner

2»

Comments

• imagine paying setup fee for 15 years old hardware

• If port speed is imporant, then forget OVH. 100 mbps in 2023 is still pathetically laughable. It would be less pathetic if they only limited outbound to 100, but it's limited both ways unless you get lucky with their pipe lottery.

Their DDOS might be among the best but that's not helpful when a single residential gigabit user can eat your machine's entire pipe. I don't even know what use cases would thrive with a 100 or 250 mbps pipe aside from simple game servers, a "Hello World" apache page, or apps that do more data processing than hosting.

I haven't used Hetzner [yet] so no comment, though their network and lack of anti-DDOS does give me pause. At least, their entire server auction lineup has no setup fees, so they have that much going for them at least.

• @johndeo983 said:
    imagine paying setup fee for 15 years old hardware

They run a couple of free setup promos a year.

• PineappleMPineappleM Member
    edited July 2023

@SirFoxy said:

@johndeo983 said:
    imagine paying setup fee for 15 years old hardware

They run a couple of free setup promos a year.

Only if you're a new customer or commit to 12 months (12mo commit without knowing how good your service will be at all).

EDIT: Yeah sometimes for their non-eco servers they will waive setup for everyone on the monthly subscription but still one must wonder why they do that on their Rise lineup but not on the Eco ones... or limit to new customers only...

• OVH's idea behind the setup fee for even older servers is that if the customer pays a setup fee, it is less likely they will cancel it within a month or two. So the setup fees are mainly to reduce server turnover, either through the psychological aspect or simply getting the customer to sign a contract or pay for a year or more upfront.

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

I haven't really dealt much with OVH outside a few personal projects. But I didn't enjoy their experience. Just buying the servers can be a jungle as different locations advertise different prices and offers, or at least did in my case then. After finally settling on a server then where I bought from their European website I found the offer slightly cheaper on their Canadian site and then didn't have to pay VAT.

Their control panel is slow and annoying. Hetzner robot is too but their cloud control panel is miles ahead.

I had a server go unresponsive once with OVH and their support was quite slow to help me out, and was very robotic.

I gotta give credit to Hetzner here. One of my servers seemingly had a defective RAM module. I contacted their support about a replacement and within minutes they replied if I wanted a immediate replacement, a scheduled one or a total hardware check. A bit dialogue back and forth and we scheduled a time for replacement the next day. Pretty much on the minute they initiated a replacement and done in 2 minutes. I was very impressed by that interaction.

Anywho. I clearly favor Hetzner. OVH pricing just doesn't seem competitive anymore. You almost pay double for a Ryzen 5000 series system with 32GB ram than you do for a Hetzner AX52. If you need DDOS protection go for OVH I guess.

• GhtGht Member

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:
    Always Hetzner :smile: , As for OVH DDoS their protection doesnt work anymore. They are trash

Hetzner's DDOS protection is also trash.

If ur willing to pay 10 years old servers more expensive then in Hetzner then ur free to go bud. Into Hetzner you get Newly Hardware that you cant compare the pricing betwen them.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

Wow this post really blew up!

im my eyes Hetzner support is much better than OVH

Hetzner reply back to you when you have a issue ovh ignores emails only chance of getting assistance is phoning them, if you get through to the UK or French team no chance in hell of getting a resolutions , but the Canadian team are great always there when needed.

its a Shame Hetzner only offers 1Gbit on there Servers other than the 10gb "20TB Cap" or charge a mint afterwards on over usage & no BGP otherwise they would be the best!

OVH Network is much better in my eyes, but they servers they offer are quite old.

there ups and downs with each and it all really depends what your hosting / using.

its a Shame OVH no longer allow there colocation , they used to offer this years ago on there Paris DC, was solid!

everyone i know will have there own take on this and knew it would be quite controversial.

but from my standpoint , I would use Hetzner for low - Medium volume systems & ovh for high / critical applications with Wasabi s3 to take backups of the instance (never trust your hosts backups - if you trust them you shouldn't be on here!)

• emghemgh Member
    edited July 2023

@PineappleM said:

I don't even know what use cases would thrive with a 100 or 250 mbps pipe aside from simple game servers, a "Hello World" apache page, or apps that do more data processing than hosting.

Having worked with quite a few smaller businesses (3-20 in staff), many of them SaaS products/services of various kinds and also e-coms, I’ve never seen a single one using more than 100 mbps

And even on OVH’s ultra cheap Gaming Range where their DDoS protection is extremely good for the price, they offer 250 mbps

They also do offer gigabit speeds on a wide range of services for not too much

And their fair usage definition is extremely fair, very very rarely are they mentioned for terminainf or suspending for using too much of unlimited

If you’re willing to spend a lot more, they’re are stuff that you can get that neither OVH or especially Hetzner can offer, such as good global connectivity (including the US and asia)

So I’m in no way saying that OVH is perfect, they’re not

But they offer crazy good value, have tons of locations, the best DDoS protection in the price range (the Game line), fair unmethered definitions, good replacement support, tons of locations and often run good promotions, that’s just the truth

They surely must be doing something very right having a fairly limited selection of managed services and still being one of Europes largest cloud providers

• @Ght said:

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:
    Always Hetzner :smile: , As for OVH DDoS their protection doesnt work anymore. They are trash

If ur willing to pay 10 years old servers more expensive then in Hetzner then ur free to go bud. Into Hetzner you get Newly Hardware that you cant compare the pricing betwen them.

I also believe Hetzner is better than OVH, don't get me wrong. But Hetzners DDOS protection needs some improvements too.

• I'm looking for a cheap VPS. Looks like Hetzner has the best deals, but I must aquire stable 100 mbps.
    -Does they're network is stable?
    -it's unlimited; and it's capped at 100 mbps or 1 gbps?

• StetsedStetsed Member
    edited July 2023

@MajorGap said:
    I'm looking for a cheap VPS. Looks like Hetzner has the best deals, but I must aquire stable 100 mbps.

Hetzner VPS’s are on a 10Gb network and you will easily reach 100Mbps, but do realize that you have a traffic cap of 20TB after which data becomes very expensive so watch out for that.

• @Stetsed said:

@MajorGap said:
    I'm looking for a cheap VPS. Looks like Hetzner has the best deals, but I must aquire stable 100 mbps.

Hetzner VPS’s are on a 10Gb network and you will easily reach 100Mbps, but do realize that you have a traffic cap of 20TB after which data becomes very expensive so watch out for that.

Oh, my pardon..Seems I've missed such an important detail. thanks for mentioning a 20TB cap..

@MajorGap said:

@Stetsed said:

@MajorGap said:

Oh, my pardon..Seems I've missed such an important detail. thanks for mentioning a 20TB cap..

Worth nothing that its unlimited incoming. They only count outgoing, so it is 20TB outgoing limit. €1 per TB outgoing traffic after.

• @sillycat said:

@Ght said:

It's basically just a null route with anything over 10G

edited July 2023

@stefeman said:

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:

It's basically just a null route with anything over 10G

It seems like there is consensus that Hetzner DDOS protection is trash. But is this based on recent experiences or just something that has stuck from the past?

I haven't dealth with heavy hitting DDOS attacks yet but certainly have some servers who have seen above 10Gbps that has been handled perfectly fine.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

I prefer Hetzner because their support replies fast and their dedicated offer suits me (2x AX41, 2x 100TB servers, SX162 IIRC).

I would say however that both OVH and Hetzner prove that cheap can be good.

• sillycatsillycat Member
    edited July 2023

@labze said: But is this based on recent experiences or just something that has stuck from the past?

Based on recent experiences, but not my recent experiences. I now realize that it might not have been entirely Hetzner's fault since the site was not just static files. However, they failed to mitigate a literal child with a few hijacked routers, which is quite surprising.

• hetzner cheap price in
    ovh ddos protect and more locations

• GhtGht Member

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:

I also believe Hetzner is better than OVH, don't get me wrong. But Hetzners DDOS protection needs some improvements too.

I use Hetzer dedi with Path VPS ddos protected with GRE tunnel. I used OVH so many years and i can tell by my experience that OVH sucks. Their ddos protection its trash for what they say. Hetzner does not offer Protection at all but i can never compare them with ovh because of prices and newly hardwares you get there.

• GhtGht Member
    edited July 2023

@Ght said:

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:

I use Hetzer dedi with Path VPS ddos protected with GRE tunnel. I used OVH so many years and i can tell by my experience that OVH sucks. Their ddos protection its trash for what they say. Hetzner does not offer Protection at all but i can never compare them with ovh because of prices and newly hardwares you get there. If you want ddos protection Path is the only way at least for me. I always speak with my experience

• @Ght said:

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:

I use Hetzer dedi with Path VPS ddos protected with GRE tunnel. I used OVH so many years and i can tell by my experience that OVH sucks. Their ddos protection its trash for what they say. Hetzner does not offer Protection at all but i can never compare them with ovh because of prices and newly hardwares you get there.

Interesting solution... Personally, I am not that big of a fan of Path, but if it gets to a point where it becomes unbearable, I might consider it.

• emghemgh Member

@Ght said:

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:

Post #73628 trashing OVH DDoS protection without mentioning which line considering it’s been covered that it’s not the same thing

Thanks, noted

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • GhtGht Member

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:

Interesting solution... Personally, I am not that big of a fan of Path, but if it gets to a point where it becomes unbearable, I might consider it.

Well if you are not a target of ddos attacks you dont need Path. I tried OVH,Voxility,Arbor etc and all of them failed to protect , because today exists scripts that bypasses their anti ddos and they are not doing anything to fix that. Path have all of them and yeah i dont worry anymore of attacks.