Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Battle of Providers - OVH VS Hetzner
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The Battle of Providers - OVH VS Hetzner

JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

Hey guys ,

I'm sure they will be some biased decisions here between members ,

Which in your minds is best OVH / Hetzner & why

Hetzner is cheap & has newer hardware but from the network from OVH seem far superior.

what's everyone standpoint between the 2?

Choose your Provider
  1. Chose your Provider & why (add in comments)197 votes
    1. OVH
      28.93%
    2. Hetzner
      71.07%

Comments

• emghemgh Member

Dedi: bof, depending on use-case
    VPS: hetz

Thanked by 2Kebab Erisa
  • Does OVH include the eco brands (SoYouStart & Kimsufi)?

Cheapest Eco dedicated servers from OVH are cheaper than hetzner auction servers, so there's that.

• So the "Hetzner" has newer hardware is only true for there dedicated servers. For there VPS's there running quiet a bit older hardware than I've seen OVH using especially in there recent EPYC servers.

Personally I think there both good providers although I like that basically all OVH servers are unmetered. I barely ever use alot of traffic but I simply don't want to worry about going over my alloted bandwith.

Personally I use whatever deal is available at the time(currently running spaceberg), but if they go away then I will probally end up with OVH on one of there new EPYC servers.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Hetzner for sure. Hands down for price, reliability, availability, ease of use etc

• HarmonyHarmony Member
    edited July 2023

After the OVH IP price they lost the battle.

Other OVH use cases are better DDoS protection and more locations. What else does it beat Hetzner at?

Thanked by 1nick_
  • @Stetsed said:
    So the "Hetzner" has newer hardware is only true for there dedicated servers. For there VPS's there running quiet a bit older hardware than I've seen OVH using especially in there recent EPYC servers.

Personally I think there both good providers although I like that basically all OVH servers are unmetered. I barely ever use alot of traffic but I simply don't want to worry about going over my alloted bandwith.

Personally I use whatever deal is available at the time(currently running spaceberg), but if they go away then I will probally end up with OVH on one of there new EPYC servers.

To add onto this, in OVH's latest Epyc VPS's they seem to be using 3rd gen epycs(Milan) while Hetzner is using 2nd Gen(Rome). Hetzner only uses Milan in there VPS's with dedicated cores.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

@fredo1664 said:
    Does OVH include the eco brands (SoYouStart & Kimsufi)?

Cheapest Eco dedicated servers from OVH are cheaper than hetzner auction servers, so there's that.

All of OVH's Brands and subsidiary's

• hetzner because it sounds cool

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited July 2023

OVH for automatic hardware replacement and low end prices, often even below electricity costs of running a box at home

Thanked by 1adns
  • OVH because they’ve never asked for my drivers license for an idling $3 vps.

• tjntjn Member

I really like Hetzner.

Don't get me wrong, they have their quirks (crazy IPv4 prices for example) but I feel like with OVH you never really know where you stand.

Compared to Hetzner there's always some kind of an extra charge or price variation that isn't immediately clear when browsing the site, tickets sometimes don't get handled well, inflexible configurations, lots of different billing regions, etc...

Hetzner just seem to be far more flexible and straightforward.
    I've asked them to move servers between racks for example and the whole process is clearly documented and easy.

Need to swap out an HDD for an SSD and have them boot the KVM console into an installer for you, on an obscure custom ISO? No problem.

HDD fails? Usually takes them 10-20mins to change it.
    Tickets are usually resolved same day in the first reply.

Need to speak to an actual human in a datacentre? Easy.

Definitely prefer Hetzner.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited July 2023

One thing I want to point out is that Hetzner and OVH are not direct comparisons unless you live in the EU.

Personally, as someone from NA, Hetzner was never really an option outside of small projects.

• Hetzner for some uses. I love their storage containers.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

OVH, because it's 🔥 hot.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said:
    OVH, because it's 🔥 hot.

Toasted well in France

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • OVHCloud cuz they were mad enough to make me a discord moderator.

• conceptconcept Member
    edited July 2023

It is hard to say...
    Hetzner is great if you like mass storage and cheap cloud.
    OVH is great if you like a lot of bandwidth.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

OVH as they are in the UK and it’s easy to use. I just worry about any abuse claims etc..

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Hetzner is a trustworthy and ethical company, I'll just leave it at that.

• Hetzner all the way, they don’t apply stupid port caps, their systems aren’t broken and support doesn’t take at least a week to read a ticket, ignore the content and just send a template.

• I would choose Hetzner dedicated servers for personal usage. From my point of view, their system is good enough for some personal cases. Their support is really good compared to OVH.

OVH has good DDoS protection, it's not enough, but it's fine for medium projects. As long as your server doesn't go down due to a small attack.

But I won't trust both for things like establishing a hosting company. Hetzner has some limitations even though they have private VLANs, but they still limit you in some cases( we are talking here about big numbers of dedicated and resources ).

Also, to be honest, OVH could win in subnet pricing. Hetzner's IP pricing is not good at all.

As a summing up the previous, I would choose Hetzner dedicated for personal usage(as long as it doesn't require DDoS Protection), and OVH for medium projects.

I would choose Hetzner for Virtual Cloud Hosting; their performance is really exemplary, and even their Cloud servers DDoS Protection is good compared to dedicated servers.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited July 2023

@Stetsed said:

@Stetsed said:
    So the "Hetzner" has newer hardware is only true for there dedicated servers. For there VPS's there running quiet a bit older hardware than I've seen OVH using especially in there recent EPYC servers.

Okay, so what other newer hardware did you seen on OVH?

In 2020 Hetzner released 2nd gen EPYC VPS.
    In 2020 OVH released Intel Broadwell VPS.

Both offers are still active to this day.
    Are you talking about 2012, 2007 maybe?

OVH EPYC servers are 3 year behind Hetzner EPYC line, while CPU is only 1 year newer. And that OVH EPYC line is limited deal in select locations, regular offer is still powered by Broadwells. OVH EPYC is not "especially newer", its the only one that is newer today.
    Hetzner Cloud Intel - 2017
    Hetzner Cloud EPYC 2nd gen - 2020
    And now its 2023, they can drop something like Genoa any time soon.

• afnafn Member
    edited July 2023

@TomasSystems said: Hetzner all the way, they don’t apply stupid port caps, their systems aren’t broken and support doesn’t take at least a week to read a ticket, ignore the content and just send a template.

What parallel universe do you come from?
    They do not apply port cap, they ban you for using your NOT "unlimited" bandwidth.

Hetzner has some shitty noob support sometimes, but fast enough. Their systems ARE broken and I have had many servers replaced due to their hardware being total desktop quality trash, in their defense they replaced them fast enough. But then I have also had kimsufi drivers replaced fast as well!

The both suck differently.

Also, OVH offers great support for business clients who pay big bucks, much better than Hetzner especially if you are a startup based in France.

@MikeA said: Hetzner is a trustworthy and ethical company, I'll just leave it at that.

Not really, no. Hetzner lies when they want to. They are not worth your trust and they broke my trust several different times.

OVH is not worth the trust either.

I don't really see a comparison, personally, I have never had a use case where I had to decide between both, they are always simply different to me, not equivalent and depending on the use-case and budget for the project the decision is kind of made automatically.

• Hetzner just with its UX alone. OVH is a mess with its different currencies and pricing discounts in different terms. Hetzner is straight forward in its pricing and ordering

Thanked by 1tjn
  • zrj766zrj766 Member

If you don't need DDoS defense, I like Hetzner a bit more.

Hetzner's prices are clear, the dedicated servers and cloud servers are more powerful and have more bandwidth. But their data centers, especially the dedicated servers, are only in Finland and Germany, I wish they would deploy to France, US, especially since they have cloud servers in the US.

OVH would have had IP pricing as their advantage except for DDoS defense, but that's gone. ovh has more services available, but their control panel is slow to access and bloated. Hardware configurations are slower to update and expensive with even less bandwidth. The most unsatisfying thing is their service support speed, it's very slow, much slower than both Scaleway and Hetzner, and I even had to wait more than four or five hours for a response to one of my server outages. However, OVH has cheap Eco series servers, so if you don't need much performance, you can save as much as you want.

• GhtGht Member

Always Hetzner :smile: , As for OVH DDoS their protection doesnt work anymore. They are trash

• emghemgh Member

OVH Game DDoS Protection is miles better than Hetzner, DDoS is not something you should bring up if you’d want to praise Hetzner and trash OVH

• @Ght said:
    Always Hetzner :smile: , As for OVH DDoS their protection doesnt work anymore. They are trash

Hetzner's DDOS protection is also trash.

• Network > OVH
    Everything else > Hetzner

• emghemgh Member
    edited July 2023

@sillycat said:

@Ght said:

Hetzner's DDOS protection is also trash.

OVH DDoS protection is far from trash for the price

At least, in the game range

The issue is that people don’t know that their protection is completely different on the game line compared to other lines

And that people expect way too much