Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1000 IQ move by Rocky Linux
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1000 IQ move by Rocky Linux

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Tldr variant... <>

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited July 2023

I'm not sure why you find it "just too funny" (but perhaps this is due to an age/cultural difference)

Honestly, it seems like the people behind Rocky Linux have given a lot of thought to the new situation and to how they could continue to produce Rocky Linux under the new regimen. It's thoughtful statement of how they plan to proceed in the immediate future

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • @LTniger said:
    Tldr variant... <>

the pulled big brain and they now use cloud images of rhel to get packages, and as its protected by gpl, red hat cant do shit.

• @angstrom said:

I'm not sure why you find it "just too funny" (but perhaps this is due to an age/cultural difference)

Honestly, it seems like the people behind Rocky Linux have given a lot of thought to the new situation and to how they could continue to produce Rocky Linux under the new regimen. It's thoughtful statement of how they plan to proceed in the immediate future

its funny as in its a very dumb way to do it, but it is very effective

edited July 2023

@Otus9051 said:

@angstrom said:

I would call it a clever workaround for an unfortunate necessity imposed on them

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Up next, Red Hat will shut down source code download servers.
    You can exercise your GPL rights to source code by ordering CD-ROMs, which will be mailed after a reasonable fee.
    The fee cannot be excessive so it's $7/CD, but processing time is same as current wait time at IRS / USCIS.
    When Rocky gets the source code, it's many months old.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @yoursunny said:

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but why do they actually need the source code? They could just pull the pre-compiled packages, remove any references to RedHat and rebundle them in their own distribution?

• @angstrom said:

@Otus9051 said:

@angstrom said:

I would call it a clever workaround for an unfortunate necessity imposed on them

I call it "literally the first thing everyone think of"

@Nirvana said:

@yoursunny said:

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but why do they actually need the source code? They could just pull the pre-compiled packages, remove any references to RedHat and rebundle them in their own distribution?

I suspect that at least some of the RHEL references are pretty "deep" (at the level of compile-time options)

In general, though, you have very little control over something that you consider/call your Linux distribution if you're just redistributing binary packages from another Linux distribution

Not to mention that I suspect that RHEL would have legitimate legal grounds for complaint if someone were simply taking their binary packages and redistributing them under another distribution name

@yokowasis said:

@angstrom said:

@Otus9051 said:

@angstrom said:

I call it "literally the first thing everyone think of"

You know, good ideas often seem obvious in retrospect, but this doesn't mean that they were always obvious at the time

• defaultdefault Veteran

This move from Rocky is really smart. I like their passion and commitment.

• lnxlnx Member, Patron Provider

I applaud their efforts. I hope that they can keep going as I think having a truly open branch of RHEL helps them ultimately.

• emghemgh Member
    edited July 2023

I think Red Hat are bring short-sighted

Just create enough value for big corperations to choose to pay (which I’ve heard that they do)

And be glad a free version is easily avaliable for those who might end up working for the same companies in the future

It’s not unresonable that if Debian/Ubuntu becomes much more easily accessible, people that end up as System Administrators at big companies in 5-10 years will internally vounch for what they’re comfortable with and the rest slowly goes away

There’s a reason why Adobe products are super simple to crack

And there’s also a reason why Jetbrains give away all their software for free for as long as you’re a student

Tl;dr: When you’ve been at the top for too long it may seem impossible to fall, but that’s also when you go down, and Red Hat should learn the Day 1 concept

https://aws.amazon.com/executive-insights/content/how-amazon-defines-and-operationalizes-a-day-1-culture/

Edit:

On threads here now it seems that the vast majority run Debian, or at least one out of Debian or Ubuntu

In 2015/2016 I always ran CentOS and I recall CentOS being mentioned here a lot more than Stream/Rocky/Alma are being mentioned here today, that says something

• emghemgh Member

Also, this is clearly a generational thing

@angstrom has a brain developed before Vine & TikTok. When @angstrom hear or say something; it usually means what it/he says

@Otus9051 has a brain developed during Vine & TikTok. When @Otus9051 hear or say something; it’s usually wrapped in so many layers of sarcasm & shit that you have to have a similarely wired brain to understand

I’m in the middle so I can translate

”its funny as in its a very dumb way to do it, but it is very effective”

Would be:

”It’s remarkable really how the maintainers of large Linux distros have to resort to extracting what they need, not from Red Hat itself, but rather from Cloud and Docker Images.”

You’re all welcome also Debian thx

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

All this time, my main reason for switching out of CENTOS was Rocky Linux - it just sounds like the hardest linux to have to deal with (pun intended). But it seems they're smart from reading the post and I'm actually tempted now to spin up Rocky Linux on a few of my idling army.

• All this drama is reinforcing that I made the right choice switching to Debian all those years ago.

• @dahartigan said:
    All this drama is reinforcing that I made the right choice switching to Debian all those years ago.

Same here. When I started toying around with server linux distros it came down to CentOS and Debian. Since I had already some experience using Ubuntu I picked Debian and continued.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • ShamliShamli Member

Never been an enthusiast of centos or rhel...
    Since having learned to manage linux/server/vps, only a few times did i install centos...still that didnt last long until switched to debian...

All my servers are mostly always with debian...

sometimes ubuntu due to certains apps were already build for ubuntu...(not gonna build it myself on those tiny server)

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Question - might be dumb - should I switch from Ubuntu to Debian? I only use Ubuntu because I thought it was backed by a profitable company (canonical?)

• @risharde said:
    Question - might be dumb - should I switch from Ubuntu to Debian? I only use Ubuntu because I thought it was backed by a profitable company (canonical?)

Windows FTW

Thanked by 1risharde
  • @dahartigan said:
    All this drama is reinforcing that I made the right choice switching to Debian all those years ago.

debian thx

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • spareksparek Member

This might be a dumb question... but has anyone thought to create an Enterprise level Linux distribution based on Debian/Ubuntu?

Why does everything Enterprise level have to be Redhat based?

edited July 2023

@sparek said:
    This might be a dumb question... but has anyone thought to create an Enterprise level Linux distribution based on Debian/Ubuntu?

Well, Ubuntu Pro is by any current measure an enterprise Linux distribution

There's no necessity of this kind here

But there's a whole history going back to the mid-1990s that has made RHEL the reference enterprise Linux distribution in practice

• Real companies run arch for production.

Thanked by 2Otus9051 yoursunny
  • cochoncochon Member

@angstrom said:

@sparek said:

There's no necessity of this kind here

But there's a whole history going back to the mid-1990s that has made RHEL the reference enterprise Linux distribution in practice

And in parallel a reputation for enterprise level support. A comfort blanket for many large businesses, which isn't perceived with other distros.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • emghemgh Member

@risharde said:

It basically comes down to:

Do you love or hate snap?
    Do you love or hate netplan?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@emgh said:

Hate.
    I delete snapd on Ubuntu.

Love.
    I install netplan on Debian.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • DrMakDrMak Member

@Thundas said:
    Real companies run arch for production.

I don't know real or anything but many time i have discussion with sysadmins they always advise/choose to go with RHEL for any production server, in there wording "because it's specifically customized for business use, is very well tested to assure its stability, has first-rate security installed out of the box, and has excellent support available from Red Hat. They don’t call it “Enterprise Linux” for nothing."
    So most of the time we use Debian/Ubuntu or Rockey but again for production always REHL > Ubuntu Pro.

• emghemgh Member

@yoursunny said:

@emgh said:

Hate.
    I delete snapd on Ubuntu.

Love.
    I install netplan on Debian.

I tried for two days to get Virtfusion to play nice with Ubuntu & Netplan. I gave up. Didn’t understand shit.

Tried the same with Debian, 10-15 minutes and done.

Conclusion: I’m too stupid to use Ubuntu so I use Debian

• DrMakDrMak Member

@emgh said: Do you love or hate netplan?

:|

Thanked by 1emgh