Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anyone please advise if BuyVM's throttling policy is reasonable?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can anyone please advise if BuyVM's throttling policy is reasonable?

rayhoperayhope Member

I previously subscribed to a $3.5/month plan for use as a seedbox.
On May 3rd, BuyVM throttled my VPS to 100Mbps, and their support ticket stated: "For sustained usage and access to more BW, you'd have to consider upgrading your service to a higher plan."

I admit that I may have overused the service at the time, but since May 3rd, I have kept my usage low, with CPU usage not exceeding 10% and peak bandwidth not exceeding 10Mbps.

Today, I upgraded my VPS to the $30/month plan as suggested by the customer service representative, but I found that I am still being throttled to 100Mbps.
I submitted a support ticket to request the removal of the restriction, but the customer service representative replied: "You'd be bumped to 200 - 300mbit then. You aren't getting bumped to 1Gbit/sec unmetered unless you're paying for it."

Therefore, I would like to ask whether it is reasonable to be throttled to 200-300Mbps even after upgrading to the $30/month plan.

Comments

• What's wrong with seedhost/whatbox?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Does this happen often? If I've heard of it happening it's been long enough for me to have forgotten, which could draw as much of a conclusion about my memory as anything else I suppose. But if this isn't happening often, it must be an unusual case, and restoring balance from statistical outliers is standard sysadmin work.

• edited June 2023

Few providers would be able to truly provide you with the ability to saturate a 1Gbit port 24/7 at just $30/mo, which is probably what that representative is under the assumption of what you are doing.

If you are perhaps averaging <300 Mbit per month and simply want to be able to burst to 1Gbit here and there you should clarify what you want with the representative.

If you don't like their policy on this you ought to move to another provider.

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

With 35 euro per month you can get a dedicated server with 1gbps guarantee port 100tb bandwidth
    @Worldstream_Frank

Thanked by 1Worldstream_Frank
  • Sounds like you hammered the port to hard and for too long.

At $3.50 probably didn't make financial sense to allow it anymore.

• Thank you for the previous replies. Actually, I still have over $70 balance in BuyVM, and I just want to use up the balance as soon as possible.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@CyberneticTitan said: If you are perhaps averaging <300 Mbit per month and simply want to be able to burst to 1Gbit here and there you should clarify what you want with the representative.

>

And that's fine.

The throttles are to deal with people that buy 10 x 1G's and expect to rip 10Gbit or whatever proxying "not IPTV traffic".

If the OP was just told that in their ticket.

Francisco

• This is their 24/7 usage "chart" thing:

Is it suitable for you? Dunno, but it's what they say is usable.

Thanked by 1VayVayKa

@Setsura said:
    This is their 24/7 usage "chart" thing:

Its actually shifted up some :) Those numbers were when the nodes were only 1Gbit. So, add 20% on top I guess.

Generally we don't go capping unless we see heavy abuse, like the 1G's I mentioned before.

Francisco

Thanked by 2MannDude FrankZ
  • shuiershuier Member
    edited June 2023

Definitely not reasonable, $30/month can buy Unmetered Bare Metal servers

• How much bandwidth usage are you averaging?

It really depends on the host, there are some that just don't really care or some will just move you to one of their other nodes.

If you are constantly using a lot of bw, I would look for VPS providers that use 5gbit/10gbit ports. They tend to be more tolerant.

Buying a full dedicated or VDS would work well for $30/m

Thanked by 1rayhope
  • emghemgh Member
    edited June 2023

Obviously not resonable to limit to 100 Mbps, asking the user to upgrade to get the advertised speed back, and when he does, reply with:

”You'd be bumped to 200 - 300mbit then. You aren't getting bumped to 1Gbit/sec unmetered unless you're paying for it."

And why should he have to explain that it’s for bursting? Why can’t support take the time to see how his usage have been minimal for some time? Or ask the client if he’s aware it’s only meant for bursting?

And why are the support monitoring for high users to impose limits, but not revisting these limits? Even when the client is asking about it, and have upgraded for the limits to be lifted?

@Francisco said:

@Setsura said:

Generally we don't go capping unless we see heavy abuse, like the 1G's I mentioned before.

I see your point overall, and I really do like that your bandwidth is unmethered, and, also, I know that obviously you’ll still have to impose limits anyway.

But calling someone a heavy abuser for not beeing familiar with your exact limits to unmethered if he recieved no warning or anything isn’t fair I don’t think.

@Francisco said:

@Setsura said:

Its actually shifted up some :) Those numbers were when the nodes were only 1Gbit. So, add 20% on top I guess.

That’s not true since he’s upgraded to $30 a month and getting promised only 200 Mbps?

That means it’s still the old limits and your support estimates that someone not surpassing 10 Mbps ”recently” (to your defence: whatever that means..) will now use exactly 100 % of his speed.

• @shuier said:

You are right. If I didn't have a balance left in BuyVM, I wouldn't continue using it. After all, OneProvider offers a dedicated server with an E31220 processor, 8GB RAM, 2TB HDD, and 1Gbps unlimited bandwidth for only 14 euros per month.

• this is infuriating!

Thanked by 1rayhope
  • shuiershuier Member

@rayhope said:

@shuier said:

You are right. If I didn't have a balance left in BuyVM, I wouldn't continue using it. After all, OneProvider offers a dedicated server with an E31220 processor, 8GB RAM, 2TB HDD, and 1Gbps unlimited bandwidth for only 14 euros per month.

Click "Thanks" for my answer :wink:

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • @shuier said: Definitely not reasonable, $30/month can buy Unmetered Bare Metal servers

you can get less than $10/mo on unmetered bare metal if you use good trackers. The question the stability of the storage, well... thats the challenge.

• I was told by buyvm support that you get 25mbps per GB of ram. That's clear answer and that's generous amount of traffic. Nothing to complain about. If you are not happy move somewhere else.

• emghemgh Member
    edited June 2023

@dodheimsgard said:
    I was told by buyvm support that you get 25mbps per GB of ram. That's clear answer and that's generous amount of traffic. Nothing to complain about. If you are not happy move somewhere else.

Easy math shows he’s not getting that.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2023

@rayhope said:

@shuier said:

No, the 1Gbps unlimited is not dedicated either.
    You end up getting hard throttled to 100Mbit.

" Fair Usage "

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited June 2023

@dodheimsgard said:
    I was told by buyvm support that you get 25mbps per GB of ram. That's clear answer and that's generous amount of traffic. Nothing to complain about. If you are not happy move somewhere else.

Well, 25mbps (30 now) per GB of RAM is roughly equivalent to a ~10TB/month allowance for a 1GB vps, which is fine (and plenty, especially if rarely enforced).

However these vps connect at 1Gbps. So... you could easily burn your monthly traffic quota within a single day - even by mistake, misconfigured stuff or whatever. Then get 'suspended' for the rest of the month. Not funny :(
    Of course it's the customer's responsibility to regulate their own activity (traffic shaping don't be a dick blahblahblah), but still the system in place (with its less-than-obvious quotas) does not help. Consider e.g. Servarica's limit system (the first nTB at 1Gbps then 10mbps unmetered), it's fairly simple and you won't lose sleep over a possible suspension.

• actually why did OP buy $70 of credit?

• Personally I would rather to see some truth from OP.
    Are these 100Mbps or 100MBps? its a large difference. Some sites may not reflect this difference very well, depending in the quality of their product. But end users often do fail at recognizing this difference too.

I think this needs some credibility before we can start assuming shit.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@CheepCluck said:
    Personally I would rather to see some truth from OP.
    Are these 100Mbps or 100MBps? its a large difference. Some sites may not reflect this difference very well, depending in the quality of their product. But end users often do fail at recognizing this difference too.

I think this needs some credibility before we can start assuming shit.

Indeed, it's pretty clear that the OP was expecting to be able to use much more BW than could be reasonably expected on a VPS that costs $3.50/m

This is not to say that BuyVM's BW policy is completely transparent in all respects, but at the same time, it seems that very few users in practice end up having a problem with it

Thanked by 2CheepCluck TODO
    edited June 2023

@cybertech said: actually why did OP buy $70 of credit?

I'd have to check, but it'd either be he had some plans he cancelled and got credited, or did add funds.

We generally allow people to run a good bit higher than their plan allows. The OP was told he can run more than what the 200Mbit his plan normally runs as well. He asked for 300mbit, and we'd probably not even look his way until he was running 500 - 600Mbit/sec sustained.

We're very fair on this all and give the OK for people to run extra if they need it, but have small budgets. Most locations have at least 100G/sec or more spare.

@rayhope said: You are right. If I didn't have a balance left in BuyVM, I wouldn't continue using it. After all, OneProvider offers a dedicated server with an E31220 processor, 8GB RAM, 2TB HDD, and 1Gbps unlimited bandwidth for only 14 euros per month.

That's limited within the rack itself. If the racks getting a single 10G, which it probably would be, then you're sharing with 40+ other people.

EDIT - Looks like they dont' even guarantee 30TB (~100mbit/sec sustained) until you're $35 - $40/m into it, but maybe I'm not reading their plans right.

Francisco

• @dodheimsgard said:

Wtf? 25Mbps is garbage. 100Mbps port on a 4GB server would be hot garbage.

• JabJabJabJab Member

This is like n-th post about BuyVM bw limits/throttling that I remember.
    You really need to update the website @Francisco to make it clear :D

Thanked by 2darkimmortal iKeyZ
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited June 2023

@TimboJones said:

@dodheimsgard said:

120Mbps now, but I mean… that costs $15 per month so you have to have realistic expectations.

However:

If BuyVM put the limits (30Mbps per 1GB) in their sales copy then all of this could be avoided in the future and you won’t have any more headaches about it.

Some blame definitely goes onto BuyVM for the wordage in their sales copy such as “unmetered bandwidth” and no real mention of such limits above. I do think it implies there is no worry about bandwidth consumption as a sales point.

https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices/

Seems like an easy fix.

edited June 2023

@TimboJones said:

You want to average that over a month though. I guess we should swap to 'TB' instead of Mbit. 100Mbit = 30TB each way, per month. A 1GB at 25Mbit/sec 95%, is around 6 - 10TB/month, each way, for $3.50/month. We have many people that push higher than that and they don't hear anything from us.

In a given month we cap probably a half dozen users or less. Almost every time the users running some sort of CDN, proxying some backend media servers (Plex, web streams, etc), or they're running some sort of 'bandwidth selling' program (basically a 'be a part of our CDN and we kick you back some cash', common in China).

@JabJab said: This is like n-th post about BuyVM bw limits/throttling that I remember.

You really need to update the website @Francisco to make it clear

Website needs a lot of love, it's on the 'TODO' list for this year.

Francisco

• I think the best option is full speed up to X TB's of data and then throttled to 10/100Mbps until next month. It's very easy to see $ vs monthly bandwidth and plan accordingly.

For me, if I was told I needed to upgrade to a higher package, and I do upgrade to a significantly higher package and then told that's still not good enough AND not clearly stating what package I would need, I'd fucking cancel and avoid support like that.

Having a limited port might be useful to some, but faster speeds means getting shit done faster. This method of bandwidth allotment doesn't work for me and clearly it's confusing given how often this topic comes up and not definitively answered.

Thanked by 2moodwriter TODO
  • @Francisco said:

@TimboJones said:

You want to average that over a month though. I guess we should swap to 'TB' instead of Mbit. 100Mbit = 30TB each way, per month. A 1GB at 25Mbit/sec 95%, is around 6 - 10TB/month, each way, for $3.50/month. We have many people that push higher than that and they don't hear anything from us.

In a given month we cap probably a half dozen users or less. Almost every time the users running some sort of CDN, proxying some backend media servers (Plex, web streams, etc), or they're running some sort of 'bandwidth selling' program (basically a 'be a part of our CDN and we kick you back some cash', common in China).

@JabJab said: This is like n-th post about BuyVM bw limits/throttling that I remember.

You really need to update the website @Francisco to make it clear

Website needs a lot of love, it's on the 'TODO' list for this year.

Francisco

I don't think you're using "unmetered bandwidth" in any appropriate or accurate way. You're measuring both port speeds and monthly bandwidth and applying limits. And from what I can tell, always metered and limited in some way.