Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you hosted forum site at home (att,resident network) so the people in the neighborhood can chat
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Have you hosted forum site at home (att,resident network) so the people in the neighborhood can chat

momomomomomo Member

Have you hosted forum site at home (att, resident network) so the people (know personally) in the neighborhood can chat, share, ...
1. share the home public ip?
2. cloudflare tunnel?
3. suggestion, please.

Comments

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

Looking at how cheap a web hosting package is nowadays, it doesn't really justify the costs of keeping a PC running 24/7 for that purpose.

Back in the day, when a small hosting package was 20-25$/mo, then it may have been a good alternative to host your own website at home.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • kaitkait Member

@Andreix said: Looking at how cheap a web hosting package is nowadays, it doesn't really justify the costs of keeping a PC running 24/7 for that purpose.

Back in the day, when a small hosting package was 20-25$/mo, then it may have been a good alternative to host your own website at home.

And even if you want to host it at home I would use a reverse proxy on a small vps instead of cloudflare.

Thanked by 1Andreix
  • momomomomomo Member

@Andreix said:
    Looking at how cheap a web hosting package is nowadays, it doesn't really justify the costs of keeping a PC running 24/7 for that purpose.

yes pc running 24/7 home is already. so may just host something "useful" for a small group, basically people know within the group.

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2023

well, if you already have a 24/7 pc up... then sure, I guess you could throw some LAMP/XAMPP stack there and knock yourself up.

• henixhenix Member

Or you can get a raspberry pi or something and it basically is the same thing

• momomomomomo Member

@henix said:
    Or you can get a raspberry pi or something and it basically is the same thing

yes. My concern is that, is att ok with that and networking, security stuff like that.

• lc475lc475 Member

If only casual talk, why don't open a whatsapp/telegram group? nothing to maintain.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Why do you want neighbors to chat on a forum?
    Throw a pool party every week and chat with neighbors in real life.
    Bring pizza and wings.
    Sell Tupperware.

• momomomomomo Member

@lc475 said:
    If only casual talk, why don't open a whatsapp/telegram group? nothing to maintain.

Thank you for the head up, hosting something beside the chat group is needed. Hosting something home just a small step for the project. something strange, I read something about reverse proxy, cloudflare, but disappeared.

• @lc475 said:

or Discord

• kasodkkasodk Barred

@yoursunny meant:
    Why do you want neighbors to chat on a forum?
    Throw a push up party every week and chat with neighbors in real life.
    Bring pizza and wings.
    Sell Tupperware.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • momomomomomo Member
    edited June 2023

@kait said:

@Andreix said: Looking at how cheap a web hosting package is nowadays, it doesn't really justify the costs of keeping a PC running 24/7 for that purpose.

And even if you want to host it at home I would use a reverse proxy on a small vps instead of cloudflare.

good idea, with reverse proxy, the data still in my pc, where the application is hosted.

wonder why you choose reverse proxy over cloudflare tunnel?

• VoidVoid Member

@kait said:

Any specific reasons not to use cloudflare ? Assuming I have a static IP

• Even without a static IP you could use Cloudflare Tunnels to expose local services to the web without having to open any ports on your firewall. HTTP/HTTPS only though, so hosting something like a minecraft server will def need port forwarding.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • freunddfreundd Member
    edited June 2023

IRC servers on local networks in big flats used to be popular in 2000's, at least in post-soviet.
    I don't think people are interested in anything like that in "first-world" countries though, they just use Facebook.

• Nextdoor.com?

• emghemgh Member
    edited June 2023

@kait don’t like that Cloudflare shut down kiwi, let’s not go over this for the hundredth time

To his defence he probably don’t like big companies controlling the internet, even if they didn’t shut down kiwi, but that’s not the topic

And as to the idea itself: Don’t setup a VPS only to run a reverse proxy, it might be stupid running a small computer at home 24/7 for a small website, though, it’s definitely stupid to buy a small VPS and setup a reverse proxy (with the sole purpose of avoiding Cloudflare) and not use the VPS to actually host the site

Not criticizing buying a VPS, I’m just saying, IF you’re buying a VPS, you already pay for a solution to your main problem

Either host at home and use Cloudflare or get a VPS and host it there (and use Cloudflare or don’t)

But don’t buy a fix to your main problem but use it to create another problem instead of just letting it fix your main problem

• JabJabJabJab Member

I am gonna play a destroyer of your ideas, but people are lazy and very reluctant to install new app / learn new things etc - you should ask your "neightborhood" what they using. If like 90% of people there using Facebook you will be stuck to FB Groups. Wouldn't be also shocked if there is already group for that.

If something local then that local thing - it's much easier to get people to join when they already using that APP/Service then going from scratch.

Until you have some strong incentive people will not join.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Who wants to speak to their neighbours anyway, I barely know what mine look like

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@bgerard said:
    Who wants to speak to their neighbours anyway, I barely know what mine look like

As I understand it, it’s very cultural

In some countries it seems like the norm

Here in Sweden you’d basically be labeled a weirdo

• momomomomomo Member

@Zookeeper5575 said:
    Nextdoor.com?

no nextdoor kinda sucks

• emghemgh Member
    edited June 2023

Wrong

• kaitkait Member

@emgh said: To his defence he probably don’t like big companies controlling the internet, even if they didn’t shut down kiwi, but that’s not the topic

80% is to much control :) I hated them before I knew what KF was you dingus

• kaitkait Member

@momomo said: wonder why you choose reverse proxy over cloudflare tunnel?

@jmaxwell said: Any specific reasons not to use cloudflare ? Assuming I have a static IP

Cloudflare works but I don't like that they own 80% or even more of the Internets reverse proxy market, I like to do things on my own because its more fun and you learn more from it.

Thanked by 2yoursunny Void
  • emghemgh Member

@kait said:

@emgh said: To his defence he probably don’t like big companies controlling the internet, even if they didn’t shut down kiwi, but that’s not the topic

80% is to much control :) I hated them before I knew what KF was you dingus

”My opinion is like you said but I’m still gonna disagree because I’m a disagreeable person”

Ok thanks for your input

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

If it's for your local community, why not implement some sort of city or town-wide mesh net? Doesn't even need to be internet facing, could just be a fun networking project.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

During the next construction project in your neighborhood, place a USB drive when the concrete is being poured, with the USB plug left out.
    Neighbors are to bring their computers, connect to the USB drive, and read/write text files on it.

• kaitkait Member

@MannDude said: If it's for your local community, why not implement some sort of city or town-wide mesh net? Doesn't even need to be internet facing, could just be a fun networking project.

There is software based on yggdrasil that goes over WiFi I think, that project is in some USA city but would be cool for this, going back to what the Internet was intended to be

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@kait said:

@MannDude said: If it's for your local community, why not implement some sort of city or town-wide mesh net? Doesn't even need to be internet facing, could just be a fun networking project.

There is software based on yggdrasil that goes over WiFi I think, that project is in some USA city but would be cool for this, going back to what the Internet was intended to be

Yggdrasil alone would suffice, I think. Wyrd was really useful when it was still being maintained: https://github.com/Revertron/wyrd

I need to get back into Yggdrasil again more and see what's new.

But for the OP, some of these sites like you're talking about still exist. My local town has some old forum that's more of a guestbook type software and it looks like it's from 1995. But it's still actively used, for people to complain about the Mayor or the Historic society or how back in their day you could get a gallon of milk for a nickle. The reason it exists and is used today is because it literally is decades old, and has been around forever.

Thanked by 1kait
  • bdlbdl Member

@Andreix said:
    well, if you already have a 24/7 pc up... then sure, I guess you could throw some LAMP/XAMPP stack there and knock yourself up.

knocking yourself out would be preferable to knocking yourself up :)

Thanked by 2kait SirFoxy