Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ADTAQ Soft Launch: FREE 2TB STORAGE VPS for ONE MONTH - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ADTAQ Soft Launch: FREE 2TB STORAGE VPS for ONE MONTH

Comments

• ADTAQADTAQ Member, Patron Provider

Well it's been nearly 24 hours and some of you have had some time to use the platform. @yoursunny was kind enough to provide some feedback but I'd love to hear first impressions thus far from others.

• @ADTAQ said:
    Well it's been nearly 24 hours and some of you have had some time to use the platform. yoursunny was kind enough to provide some feedback but I'd love to hear first impressions thus far from others.

Performance has been great so far, no issues at the moment!

Thanked by 1ADTAQ
  • Initial impressions and performance seem solid. I would like to see a 2G swap partition configured into the std image (Ubuntu 22.04 in my case).

My yabs for disk IO is very good but not at the outstanding level of the one you posted:

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Yet-Another-Bench-Script

v2023-04-23

https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Tue Jun 6 14:55:19 EDT 2023

Basic System Information:

Uptime : 0 days, 0 hours, 8 minutes
    Processor : Intel Core Processor (Broadwell)
    CPU cores : 2 @ 2194.916 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM : 1.9 GiB
    Swap : 0.0 KiB
    Disk : 1.9 TiB
    Distro : Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
    Kernel : 5.15.0-73-generic
    VM Type : KVM
    IPv4/IPv6 : ✔ Online / ❌ Offline

IPv4 Network Information:

ISP : Adtaq Internet, LLC
    ASN : AS36824 Adtaq Internet, LLC
    Host : CV Operations, LLC

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 94.77 MB/s (23.6k) 1.06 GB/s (16.7k)
    Write 95.02 MB/s (23.7k) 1.07 GB/s (16.7k)
    Total 189.80 MB/s (47.4k) 2.14 GB/s (33.5k)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 1.67 GB/s (3.2k) 1.59 GB/s (1.5k)
    Write 1.76 GB/s (3.4k) 1.70 GB/s (1.6k)
    Total 3.43 GB/s (6.7k) 3.29 GB/s (3.2k)
    Thanked by 1ADTAQ

@costcotravel said:
    Initial impressions and performance seem solid. I would like to see a 2G swap partition configured into the std image (Ubuntu 22.04 in my case).
    My yabs for disk IO is very good but not at the outstanding level of the one you posted:

That makes sense. There's more load on the platform now that people have signed up for the trial. That said, I'm happy to see it maintaining this level of performance under load.

Thanks for the feedback!

Alright, last free trial spot was taken so closing that out.

2TB, 3TB, and 4TB packages are still available for sale. Let me know if I can answer any questions...

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited June 2023

@ADTAQ said: Let me know if I can answer any questions...

any significant abuse of free service offer?

@treesmokah said:

Yep. Pretty disappointing but at least it's a good stress test.

When @costcotravel ran the yabs he posted there were two users on the same box pegging CPU at 100%, Network at 100%, and pushing 100MB/s of disk access. Each. Not for a quick burst or to sync something up, but for 9 hours straight and counting.

You'd think such power users would be the first to share how great the platform is for their very intensive applications, but I have a feeling I won't be hearing any feedback from them in this thread.

For what it's worth, I haven't disabled their accounts, and the platform continues to perform well. I have a feeling that when the time comes to actually pay for service they will no longer be a strain on the platform, and if the time were ever to come when other customers were affected by the actions of abusers, I would certainly take action.

• LisoLiso Member

@ADTAQ said:

@treesmokah said:

Yep. Pretty disappointing but at least it's a good stress test.

When @costcotravel ran the yabs he posted there were two users on the same box pegging CPU at 100%, Network at 100%, and pushing 100MB/s of disk access. Each. Not for a quick burst or to sync something up, but for 9 hours straight and counting.

You'd think such power users would be the first to share how great the platform is for their very intensive applications, but I have a feeling I won't be hearing any feedback from them in this thread.

For what it's worth, I haven't disabled their accounts, and the platform continues to perform well. I have a feeling that when the time comes to actually pay for service they will no longer be a strain on the platform, and if the time were ever to come when other customers were affected by the actions of abusers, I would certainly take action.

I thought so, there is always abuser who constantly takes advantage of free offering.

• LeviLevi Member

What's with the website style? Looks like game hosting website.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@ADTAQ said:
    there were two users on the same box pegging CPU at 100%, Network at 100%, and pushing 100MB/s of disk access. Each. Not for a quick burst or to sync something up, but for 9 hours straight and counting.

I guess I'm not the abuser.
    I set low limits: 20% CPU in systemd, 15MB/s in qBittorrent.
    There wouldn't be DMCA notices because it's educational material from a college private tracker.

@LTniger said:

I just wanted to do something with a throwback vibe.

Game servers may be coming in the future so perhaps then it won't be as confusing :smile:

• @ADTAQ said:
    @LTniger said:

I just wanted to do something with a throwback vibe.

I like it :)

Thanked by 1ADTAQ
  • Doing a little more testing. I like to set up a bitcoin validator as a storage VPS test, as the initial blockchain P2P download stresses both network and disk in a realistic manner, followed by a low, continuous, random-ish access pattern. ADTAQ's VPS is running very smoothly, despite what any noisy neighbors might be up to. Notice the low iowait% and steal%:

An auspicous start @ADTAQ!

Thanked by 1ADTAQ
  • @costcotravel said:
    Doing a little more testing. I like to set up a bitcoin validator as a storage VPS test, as the initial blockchain P2P download stresses both network and disk in a realistic manner, followed by a low, continuous, random-ish access pattern. ADTAQ's VPS is running very smoothly, despite what any noisy neighbors might be up to. Notice the low iowait% and steal%:

What script/program is that?

@costcotravel said:
    Doing a little more testing. I like to set up a bitcoin validator as a storage VPS test, as the initial blockchain P2P download stresses both network and disk in a realistic manner, followed by a low, continuous, random-ish access pattern. ADTAQ's VPS is running very smoothly, despite what any noisy neighbors might be up to. Notice the low iowait% and steal%:

Great to hear. I think the challenge for us will be communicating this sort of thing to potential customers.

Does anyone actually care about metrics like these, or is it all about price? Like, if anyone reading this thread is on the fence about $20/month, is there anything that could sweeten the pot enough to change your mind?

• For me at least price /tb/raid lvl is basically everything.

@james50a said:
    For me at least price /tb/raid lvl is basically everything.

Totally understandable.

FWIW, I checked out the hosts in your signature and it looks like Letbox, despite being very cheap, is sold out of all Storage VPS plans. Maybe that's just a fluke and they will restock soon, I don't know.

The only thing I saw at Data Ideas with close to 2TB storage was SSD based so it was $80/month (not sure if you get any RAID for that price or not)

I've already looked at Hetzner, and unless I'm missing something (totally possible) I don't see a way to get 2TB of storage for under €107/mo.

So, does the fact that our product:

...make $10/TB/month sound like a better deal to you?

"No" is a fine answer, I'm just trying to understand what people are looking for.

• @ADTAQ said: "No" is a fine answer, I'm just trying to understand what people are looking for.

You're on the LET forum, most of the people here look for cheaper prices.

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2023

@ADTAQ said: I've already looked at Hetzner, and unless I'm missing something (totally possible) I don't see a way to get 2TB of storage for under €107/mo.

I assume you are looking at their cloud offering? They have storage boxes that are around €2/TB month. Of course, that is no VPS. You can also get a dedicated server with a Intel Xeon E3-1275v5, 64GB of ram and 12 TB of HDD storage for €35.

Not really a competition to your product, though. Another kind of product. Just really to show that nobody really can compete with Hetzner when it comes to $/TB if that is all what matters.

Ahh, I see. I didn't see any E3-1275v5 dedis but maybe I'm missing something.

I'm looking here and as far as I can tell the least expensive option is this one:

Clearly you get more CPU and RAM, and I realize if you spent even more than this you could lower your $/TB further... But, we are talking price, so if I only want to spend $20 and get 2TB I can use without bottlenecks, it seems like what we're selling might be a good option.

If you could share a link to the €35 server you were referring to that'd be great, I want to hop on one and check it out :)

edited June 2023

@ADTAQ said: If you could share a link to the €35 server you were referring to that'd be great, I want to hop on one and check it out

You have to look at their server auctions. You use the filter to find high storage servers. For example this to find those I mentioned. Another example is E3-1270v3 with 4x10TB HDD for €47

(Prices are excl. VAT)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@ADTAQ said:
    Does anyone actually care about metrics like these, or is it all about price? Like, if anyone reading this thread is on the fence about $20/month, is there anything that could sweeten the pot enough to change your mind?

$48/year

@labze said:
    You have to look at their server auctions. You use the filter to find high storage servers. For example this to find those I mentioned.
    (Prices are excl. VAT)

Ah okay, got it.

I hit your example link, sorted by price, and I didn't see any €35 servers.

The cheapest thing I saw was €42.48 and then I guess you'd add VAT on top of that.

edited June 2023

@ADTAQ said: The cheapest thing I saw was €42.48 and then I guess you'd add VAT on top of that.

You're probrably viewing it with VAT.

@labze said:

@ADTAQ said: The cheapest thing I saw was €42.48 and then I guess you'd add VAT on top of that.

You're probrably viewing it with VAT.

Ah yes, sorry about that. I see now on the Checkout page "Prices incl. 19 % VAT".

19%, ouch. Makes me glad we're based in Gibraltar and don't have to charge that!

• The ADTAQ system works well but $10/TB is far too high for me, especially for a new, unproven entrant to the market. LET peeps are comparing you to other LET vendors, not AWS & Azure. It's a tough business.

By comparison, Crunchbits has some great storage VPS offers with similar performance to yours, based in the US. They top out at $88/mo for 32TB (all OOS currently while they build out more infrastructure).

Thanked by 2ADTAQ yongsiklee
  • @MooCowGalaxy said:
    What script/program is that?

"glances" running in a terminal. It's great. It's like htop++++.

• BTW @ADTAQ, to answer your question about if anyone cares about performance, my answer is "no" once you clear a medium-level bar. For a counter example, check out threads here (or anywhere) about Contabo. Incredible pricing, but their VPS performance is nigh unusable.

@costcotravel said:
    The ADTAQ system works well but $10/TB is far too high for me, especially for a new, unproven entrant to the market. LET peeps are comparing you to other LET vendors, not AWS & Azure. It's a tough business.

Appreciate the kind words, and while we are unproven now, hopefully this thread is the beginning of becoming a proven provider.

They top out at $88/mo for 32TB (all OOS currently while they build out more infrastructure).

check out threads here (or anywhere) about Contabo. Incredible pricing, but their VPS performance is nigh unusable.

This part I just don't understand:
    "Sorry, your service is not as good as the one I can't buy or the one that is unusable."

Heck, Contabo's Storage VPS is still more than ours ($22.99) for only 1.6TB and a 600 Mbit port. Their "outlet" dedicated servers are $52.99 and have 100mbit NICs. If you add being "unusable" to that I'm not entirely sure why our product (2TB, GigE, actually works) at our price ($20) does not have at least some appeal.

I really appreciate you giving our platform a good look and am not trying to be combative here, just genuinely trying to make sure I understand what people are looking for.

• Sorry, my experience with Contabo was for their non-storage VPSs, which have a lot of CPU and RAM for the money but it's all so heavily shared the instance often grinds to a near-halt.

I do have a Crunchbits storage VPS (2c/4GB/4TB, $3/TB/mo) which I bought when they were first available; performance is excellent. I am patiently waiting for them to make an expansion possible. In the meantime I am hosting colder data on a Hetzner Storage Box @ 2 euro/TB/mo and accessing via SFTP. It's over 100ms ping from Crunchbits <-> Hetzner; not fast but it's sufficient and stable.

Just wanted to give you some real-world use case input.

Thanked by 3ADTAQ yongsiklee dav848