Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the max speed your have seen torrents or usenet downloading?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the max speed your have seen torrents or usenet downloading?

I haven't gone above 108 MB/sec so far with Gigabit connection and Usenet. What's your record?

Comments

• sliixsliix Member

115 MB/s, gigabit connection, usenet.

• dosaidosai Member

Thanked by 1seenu
  • @dosai said:

Holy shit :D How did you get those speeds with Torrents?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I have 5 MB/s on my LowEndSeedbox.
    This is manually configured to not disrupt other customers.
    @Calin approved this value when I asked.
    This speed is actually achievable.

Previously, the @PulsedMedia €18/year was configured as 31 MB/s.
    I never saw it achieve this speed, because uTorrent only allowed 4 active peers and this setting cannot be changed.
    Actual achievable speed was 12 MB/s.

Thanked by 1Merlincool
  • Just test moment ago, average 56.9MiB/s, sometimes 80-90MiB/S

pC9L2RS.png

• Do you guys use private trackers? if yes how does it work?

The great thing with Usenet is that I don't need to seed and I download always at max speeds. What is the benefit of using torrents these days?

• With some tuning, thanks to @Calin my VM1 could go up to 100MB/s
    I mostly use a small private tracker, so the average usage is 1MB/s in & 5MB/s out

• VoidVoid Member

Maximum I saw is some 229 MB/s using private trackers in oracle free server which I use as a mini seedbox.

• bgerardbgerard Member
    edited June 2023

@sliix said:
    115 MB/s, gigabit connection, usenet.

Yeah, this tends to be the usual speed from usenet for me. There is an article somewhere about people reaching 10gbit speeds from usenet, using a ram disk and GCP iirc

• sayyikusayyiku Member
    edited June 2023

327 MB/s use as a mini seedbox.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

So, what exactly is the advantage of Usenet, or rather what is it exactly?

If I understand correctly, Usenet is powered by ISPs and sort of acts as an alternative "internet" where you use some sort of search engines or forum boards to find nzb files (?!) which you can download like linux isos. In case of usenet not many people are hosting/seeding one file but rather once it's been uploaded there it is provided by the usenet infrastructure? You need to buy access to download x GB/mo from the Usenet and it appears you are easier to track down because you have to purchase access?

Torrents, then are seeded by various people, and people tend to use private trackers as to not get their ip collected by someone who monitors public trackers? Torrent can be faster as multiple users from close locations may contribute to downloading a file?

Never used either, was just trying to understand the appeal of Usenet.

• moodwritermoodwriter Member
    edited June 2023

download speed is not really important. upload is.

• @Ympker said:

If I understand correctly, Usenet is powered by ISPs and sort of acts as an alternative "internet" where you use some sort of search engines or forum boards to find nzb files (?!) which you can download like linux isos. In case of usenet not many people are hosting/seeding one file but rather once it's been uploaded there it is provided by the usenet infrastructure? You need to buy access to download x GB/mo from the Usenet and it appears you are easier to track down because you have to purchase access?

Torrents, then are seeded by various people, and people tend to use private trackers as to not get their ip collected by someone who monitors public trackers? Torrent can be faster as multiple users from close locations may contribute to downloading a file?

When Usenet when is was mostly used to be messaging, people refer to it as newsgroups, kinda like reddit, the infrastructure was commonly provided by your ISP, these days that's not the case.

It's mostly used for file sharing now, people upload files to their provider who then propagate those files across the network. Some providers have super high retention 5000+ days meaning they can provide files that old. Smaller providers will provide limited retention. It's common to use multiple providers who use different backbones to access both the newest and oldest files whilst also getting around copyright takedowns as some pieces of a file could be removed from one backbone and not another.

In terms of finding content, you can just browse newsgroups yourself but you'll probably find a load of rubbish, you can also use indexers which attempt to figure out what the content is and provide you with an nzb file, a bit like a torrent file. You would then add this to your usenet client and immediately start downloading as fast as your connection can go, no worries about the number of seeders etc as it's all coming from your provider who's severs are on massive connections.

In terms of exposing yourself, it's a weird one. Your ip is not publicly exposed to random people like a torrent but it would be exposed to your usenet provider, presumably they can tell what you're downloading but they'd also be the ones providing you with copyright content if it were to be questioned, so idk, who gets in more trouble, the people providing the content or the people downloading it. It's a bit of a weird one.

The main benefits are not having to worry about seeds for certain content (some older stuff is easier to find on private torrents, other stuff is easier on usenet, it's common for people to use both), the fact that your connection will always be maxed out, generally less concerns about your ip being exposed to both public and private torrent swarms and not having to maintain a ratio on private trackers

Thanked by 3Ympker Daniel15 sliix
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited June 2023

@Ympker said:

It was bulletin system alternative to current websites/browser architecture way before HTTP/HTTPS became common.

You basically had some kind of software, or usually just console. that was used to connect someone hosting a "forum" server.

Each server had sections similar to reddit, and each section had threads/posts which could be used to communicate.

Generally these servers were mostly hosted by ISPs and the moderation varied based on who hosted the server. Some individuals hosted those too, but it was considered to be expensive back then, due to internet traffic / required lines / hardware. All of this over copper and modems.

Later on websites became common, and usenet slowly faded into history.

It was eventually resurrected as "underground" filesharing platform for pirated stuff when people figured that they could post binary into it, and make 1500 parts of the file or more similar how torrent clients handle chunks.

Then copyright organizations found out about the place, and started DMCA:ing these "posts". The place adapted and eventually people started to obfuscate filenames and content as much as possible, while retaining some kind of algorithm to reverse the search results.

These algorithms then leaked over to copyright alliances, and obfuscated posts started to get removed, this caused the people behind the uploads to obfuscate things even more, and they no longer shared these algorithms outside their own circles of several private/pay to join indexers.

Hence, if you are using usenet, the indexer is generally as important as the server which you choose to search from. Even if the content you want to download exists in the usenet server/provider you chose, without an indexer that can reverse the obfuscated algorithm this specific post used, you wont be able to find and download it.

The reason people would care about usenet rather than torrent sites:

1. The content which is available for download is absolutely massive. Hundreds and hundreds of petabytes.
    2. Its direct connection via SSL to the server. Your IP is not exposed to anyone other than the indexer site and the provider that hosts the files.
    3. The speeds are generally unlimited to your download capacity.
    4. Its pay to enter, or even free. no need for invites.
    5. No need to upload anything or maintain ratio.

Rather than usenet, I'm more amazed that IRC XDCC downloads are still a thing lol. Tons of xdcc bots serving in various irc servers for all kinds of content for free, and tens of thousands of people are constantly joined/connected via SSL and downloading them.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2023

@stefeman said:

@Ympker said:

It was bulletin system alternative to current websites/browser architecture way before HTTP/HTTPS became common.

You basically had some kind of software, or usually just console. that was used to connect someone hosting a "forum" server.

Each server had sections similar to reddit, and each section had threads/posts which could be used to communicate.

Generally these servers were mostly hosted by ISPs and the moderation varied based on who hosted the server. Some individuals hosted those too, but it was considered to be expensive back then, due to internet traffic / required lines / hardware. All of this over copper and modems.

Later on websites became common, and usenet slowly faded into history.

It was eventually resurrected as "underground" filesharing platform for pirated stuff when people figured that they could post binary into it, and make 1500 parts of the file or more similar how torrent clients handle chunks.

Then copyright organizations found out about the place, and started DMCA:ing these "posts". The place adapted and eventually people started to obfuscate filenames and content as much as possible, while retaining some kind of algorithm to reverse the search results.

These algorithms then leaked over to copyright alliances, and obfuscated posts started to get removed, this caused the people behind uploads to obfuscate things even more, and they no longer shared these algorithms outside their own circles of several private/pay to join indexers.

Hence, if you are using usenet, the indexer is generally as important as the server which you choose to search from. Even if the content you want to download exists in the usenet server/provider you chose, without an indexer that can reverse the obfuscated algorithm this specific post used, you wont be able to find and download it.

The reason people would care about usenet rather than torrent sites:

1. The content which is available for download is absolutely massive. Hundreds and hundreds of petabytes.
    2. Its direct connection via SSL to the server. Your IP is not exposed to anyone other than the indexer site and the provider that hosts the files.
    3. The speeds are generally unlimited to your download capacity.
    4. Its pay to enter, or even free. no need for invites.
    5. No need to upload anything or maintain ratio.

Thanks for explaining @bgerard @stefeman !
    To be fair, this sounds like more hassle than it's worth. Then again, I haven't been using torrents either but everything I read about torrents and how to get stuff seemed to be easier. Personally, I have sort of sticked to direct downloads whenever I had the need for such content and then eventually shifted to just cheap vpn powered streaming subs like TR Flix while slowly building my Plex library of legally obtained private copies of series/movies I wanted to keep.
    This can probably be automated using Torrents/Usenet, but I'm not looking to build a super big library like /r/datahoarder guys anyway.
    So it's been fine this way for me :)

• @vitobotta said: how does it work?

As the name implies, a private tracker is not open to the public. You register on the website and you will get a passkey. This is most of the time a 128-bit hash value.
    This passkey allows your client to authorize to the private tracker and also is used to track stats for your account (upload, download, etc.). Some trackers have very strict rules (maintain such and such ratio (up/down = ratio), upload so much per month/year, others are lax. There is also the concept of freeleech in which the downloaded data does not count towards your downloaded total, but the upload is counted.

• dosaidosai Member

@vitobotta said:

@dosai said:

Holy shit :D How did you get those speeds with Torrents?

10gbps is pretty normal. Ultra has 50gbps port speeds.

• Prep21Prep21 Member

Rarbg around 5mb lol
    RIP

• Around 315 Mb/s on my seedbox

• SeederKunSeederKun Member
    edited June 2023

@stefeman said: Rather than usenet, I'm more amazed that IRC XDCC downloads are still a thing lol. Tons of xdcc bots serving in various irc servers for all kinds of content for free, and tens of thousands of people are constantly joined/connected via SSL and downloading them.

XDCC/DCC protocol is not SSL capable. at least the Transfer part of it. there was some attempts at implementing encrypted DCC CHAT by some IRC clients such as KVIrc but I have not seen any other client doing it. it's basically a dead protocol. but I don't know why people still use it if it doesn't have proper SSL support

back to @vitobotta question, highest record I have seen was 1.16 GB/s on a 10 Gigabit connection.

• Wow that's amazing

• I'm really curious, why do people buy seed boxes with 10GB uplink to raise their ratio.
    why does one pay way extra for a torrent box? Are they making money out of it? and how torrent boxes earn you money?

• emghemgh Member

@mezoology said:
    I'm really curious, why do people buy seed boxes with 10GB uplink to raise their ratio.
    why does one pay way extra for a torrent box? Are they making money out of it? and how torrent boxes earn you money?

To keep their seed ratio high on private trackers.

But really, I can't see how 10 Gbps would ever be needed.

• mezoologymezoology Member
    edited June 2023

@emgh said: To keep their seed ratio high on private trackers.

yea, why I would pay more for that, I know so you can download at higher speeds. but what's the real benefit of doing so? does it generate money? or just for enthusiasts of torrents?

edited June 2023

@mezoology said:

@emgh said: To keep their seed ratio high on private trackers.

yea, why I would pay more for that, I know so you can download at higher speeds. but what's the real benefit of doing so? does it generate money? or just for enthusiasts of torrents?

Rather than keeping ratio, seedbox is supposedly more for gaining positive ratio of uploaded GB/TB compared to downloaded GB/TB. The private tracker keeps track of how much you "leech" vs how much you "contribute". If your stats are shit, you will be kicked and banned by whichever private tracker you joined as you are only degrading the experience for others.

On the other hand, when you have overly positive ratio, it will grant you access to site benefits such as user roles, restricted stuff, no need to worry or keep track about downloads since you have high buffer before low ratio sanctions.

As for 10Gbps overkill seedboxes that cost hundreds of dollars per month to upkeep, those are mostly for e-penis or tools to springboard you into more restricted trackers.

The above is also the reason why you can see such insane speeds on private torrents compared to public sites as the users would get banned if they gained more than what they themselves contributed.

Thanked by 1mezoology
    edited June 2023

@emgh said:

@mezoology said:
    I'm really curious, why do people buy seed boxes with 10GB uplink to raise their ratio.

They are usually shared 10Gbps boxes with countless of other users for as cheap as 10 USD/m

It's the new 8GB RAM VPS where 4GB of that 8GB is swap, but they don't tell you that when you order.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@stefeman said:

@emgh said:

@mezoology said:

They are usually shared 10Gbps boxes with countless of other users for as cheap as 10 USD/m

It's the new 8GB RAM VPS where 4GB of that 8GB is swap, but they don't tell you that when you order.

Yeah, I know. I just meant that looking for 10 Gbps boxes and having that as a requirement makes no sense.

• For those who use seedboxes, how do they work? are they regular virtual servers or what exactly? also do you use a VPN all the time?

• @mezoology said:

From what I can think of:

• It might be the most economical option to generate a lot of buffer (increase ratio) in a short period of time. Rent one of those boxes for a month, set it up to race torrents and afterwards you might be fine for that tracker forever not having to worry about ratio.
    • Some tracker economies require you to have such a box to compete with other racers, for example RED. The alternative is to have a large storage seed base, but RED infamously does not do freeleech and building such a base to have others download from you when there are so many other seedboxes makes it difficult to survive.
    • Because they can, for fun, for the lols, etc. Big number = neuron activation

In terms of making money with a seedbox, there are some people that run websites that offer DDL of tracker releases through Rapidgator, Nitroflare, K2S, etc. They make money through ads, affiliate signups, download traffic etc.

Thanked by 1mezoology
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited June 2023

@stefeman said: These algorithms then leaked over to copyright alliances, and obfuscated posts started to get removed, this caused the people behind the uploads to obfuscate things even more, and they no longer shared these algorithms outside their own circles of several private/pay to join indexers.

If regular people like you and me can get stuff from usenet, the copyright alliances definitely can as well. It's mostly security through obscurity rather than actual security.

@Ympker said: To be fair, this sounds like more hassle than it's worth.

IMO torrents are more hassle. With Usenet you're always downloading from the same provider at a consistent speed.

If you're just using torrents for TV shows and movies, then IMO something like Real-Debrid or Premiumize is the way to go. They cache torrents, meaning they download the torrents on their end, and let you directly stream or download the files from their CDNs at full speed. Premiumize does Usenet too. There's Android TV apps like Weyd and Syncler that can stream directly from these services - you just search for a show or movie and can immediately stream it without having to download anything.

Thanked by 2Ympker Void