Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Box.com 30GB of cloud storage for signing up via Mobile
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Box.com 30GB of cloud storage for signing up via Mobile

asterisk14asterisk14 Member
edited May 2023 in Giveaways & Freebies

You will receive 30GB if you create an account during the promotion till the end of May 31st 2023 using mobile app and business email address. I just used a email from one of my domains.

More blurb:

Right now, Box is offering up to 30 GB of free storage to new users for life — plus, you can offer the same amount of storage to your coworkers or friends.

What can you do with all this free space? Box offers secure content sharing and collaboration, so you can review PowerPoint presentations, share your meeting notes with a colleague, scan contracts, and more. It’s a secure, all-in-one content management app that lets you efficiently share and collaborate from anywhere.

Until May 31, 2023, Box is giving away up to 30 GB* of free storage to new users. This includes our standard 10 GB of storage when you sign up for a free account, plus:

+ 10 GB of storage if you sign up during this promotion period

+ 5 GB of storage if you sign up with the Box Mobile app

+ 5 GB of storage if you sign up with your business email

Sign up for your free Box account today or download Box Mobile for iOS or Android to claim your 30GB of storage.*

*Receive up to 30GB of storage (including 10GB base storage) for signing up with a new account via Box Mobile with a business email address during the promotion time period.

https://blog.box.com/how-get-30gb-free-cloud-storage-box-account

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

How do they know what email is a 'business' email?

• mrs92mrs92 Member

@Arkas said:

An email address with your custom domain maybe

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@mrs92 said: An email address with your custom domain maybe

I understand that, I was just wondering how they decide that. I have many domains and emails, just for fun I'll try to get 5 of them to see if it works.

Thanked by 1mrs92
  • mrs92mrs92 Member

The maximum file size limit for uploads to Box varies depending on your account type:
    Free personal: 250 MB
    Starter: 2 GB
    Business: 5 GB

It's 250MB in 2023. Can't believe this.

Thanked by 2Arkas tridinebandim
  • somiksomik Member

@mrs92 said:

The maximum file size limit for uploads to Box varies depending on your account type:

A single file size of 250 MB is quite big. Good enough for all your photos and tiktoks :lol:

• nick_nick_ Member
    edited May 2023

Probably a unique domain that no one has registered with them before is a business email for them.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • somiksomik Member

@nick_ said:
    Probably a unique domain that no one has registered with them before is a business email for them.

That means I cannot sign up with them cause I only use unique domain for my self hosted emails. And I am not a business entity.

• nick_nick_ Member

@somik said:

@nick_ said:

That means I cannot sign up with them cause I only use unique domain for my self hosted emails. And I am not a business entity.

I think the uniqueness is what matters. You can still sign up with them with a normal email, but it's not qualified for an extra 5GB.

• @somik said:

@mrs92 said:

A single file size of 250 MB is quite big. Good enough for all your photos and tiktoks :lol:

The promotion through BlackBerry back in the box beginning was 50GB. Perfect for my music library. I think that 250MB limit might have been 25MB back then? I recall it having problems with some music videos...

• somiksomik Member

@nick_ said:

@somik said:

@nick_ said:

I think the uniqueness is what matters. You can still sign up with them with a normal email, but it's not qualified for an extra 5GB.

Sad... Oh well, self hosted nextcloud solution it is!

@TimboJones said:

@somik said:

@mrs92 said:

The promotion through BlackBerry back in the box beginning was 50GB. Perfect for my music library. I think that 250MB limit might have been 25MB back then? I recall it having problems with some music videos...

So they reduced it when people are actually able to upload that amount? WTF!

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@nick_ said:

@somik said:

@nick_ said:

But an actual “business email” wouldn’t be unique right? :smiley:

Surely there can be other employees in the company.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited May 2023

@somik said:

@TimboJones said:

@somik said:

@mrs92 said:

I don't follow what you mean. Box was always geared towards business use and functionality. More business-y than onedrive. Preventing hoarders like the 100 TB people on Google drive storage is probably why box is still around today. I just saw something that said their engineers are some of the best paid...

• nick_nick_ Member

@DP said:

@nick_ said:

@somik said:

@nick_ said:

I mean the uniqueness of a domain that hasn't registered with them before, not email addresses created with that domain. Otherwise, how do you tell if a domain is a business one from their perspective?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@nick_ said:

@DP said:

@nick_ said:

@somik said:

@nick_ said:

I mean the uniqueness of a domain that hasn't registered with them before, not email addresses created with that domain. Otherwise, how do you tell if a domain is a business one from their perspective?

I think that’s something they would need to clarify what do they actually consider as a business email :smiley:

• nick_nick_ Member

@DP said:

@nick_ said:

@DP said:

@nick_ said:

@somik said:

@nick_ said:

I think that’s something they would need to clarify what do they actually consider as a business email :smiley:

Yeah, the term business email in this context is pretty vague. They could just allow one email per domain to keep this qualification simple. If a domain has been already used, you have to get a new domain to get an extra 5GB. But it's just my assumption.

• somiksomik Member

@nick_ said:

@DP said:

@nick_ said:

@DP said:

@nick_ said:

@somik said:

@nick_ said:

Yeah, the term business email in this context is pretty vague. They could just allow one email per domain to keep this qualification simple. If a domain has been already used, you have to get a new domain to get an extra 5GB. But it's just my assumption.

Maybe they have a list of non-business domains, such as gmail, yahoo, yandex and any email that does not fall within those emails is considered business email?

@TimboJones said:

@somik said:

@TimboJones said:

@somik said:

@mrs92 said:

I don't follow what you mean. Box was always geared towards business use and functionality. More business-y than onedrive. Preventing hoarders like the 100 TB people on Google drive storage is probably why box is still around today. I just saw something that said their engineers are some of the best paid...

From the original post:

Until May 31, 2023, Box is giving away up to 30 GB* of free storage to new users. This includes our standard 10 GB of storage when you sign up for a free account.

Previously they gave 50GB through BlackBerry, but now they give 10GB (30 GB with all the free stuff). So that's why I say they reduced it from 50GB to 30GB max when people can actually upload 50GB, because back in the blackberry days, 50GB was not possible, at least with my GPRS and EDGE connection speeds...

• nick_nick_ Member

Just signed up with Box.com via the mobile app with my main non-business email. I got 25GB and happy with that. Changing email is not possible from what it looks in the panel.

• Got 32GB

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • @einverne said:
    Got 32GB

I only get 30gb.

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • I wonder how long your storage exists until it getting shrinked or you have to pay for it.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@ascicode said:
    I wonder how long your storage exists until it getting shrinked or you have to pay for it.

30gb is not that much. Box can afford it as technology evolves and storage gets cheaper.

• short review: not worth.

• 250mb file upload limit (too small even for 2010)
    • extremely limited in terms of functions, there are very very basic stuff, and nothing more
    • UI sluggish, slow, overloaded with tons of crappy js (looks like clojoure to me, but not sure)
    • I do not see at all any advantage if compare to mega, google one, one drive, etc. Really.
    • Overall feeling like another chinese trap for getting business data for future injection into companies via spam, and social engineering.
    • tons of buttons works incorrectly, instead of opening a page - the links opens css/js files directly in browser

Summary: no no, fuck it to the box.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • @Arkas said:

Any domain that is not one of the popular free email domains eg hotmail/gmail/outlook etc.

• Only business email is enough? Any more restrictions?

• rclone seems to support it https://rclone.org/box/
    good to know, another provider for backup to mirror on

Thanked by 1nick_
  • SauronSauron Member

@somik said:

An ISO image of a CD is 650-700 Mb.

• defaultdefault Veteran

This is not good for backups with regards to the best Linux ISO of all time, unless one could try and split the files into smaller parts.

I see this good as a backup of personal email messages, or as an emergency backup for some pictures on a small storage.

• @default said:

@ascicode said:
    I wonder how long your storage exists until it getting shrinked or you have to pay for it.

30gb is not that much. Box can afford it as technology evolves and storage gets cheaper.

Looks like they lost customers and trying to get them back.

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited May 2023

@Sauron said:

@somik said:

An ISO image of a CD is 650-700 Mb.

You have to understand that box is not for piracy or song storage. And ISO to store in cloud in 2023? They are purely business targeted. Its one of the best compared to others. Using it from last 5 years without any issues. Some of the best features they have is office 365 integration means, you can simply view snd edit files in browser without having a office license. And another is ability to block download while sharing.

• @ascicode said:

@default said:

@ascicode said:

Looks like they lost customers and trying to get them back.

Infact they are now a billion dollar in revenue.