Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beware of August Internet and Moe BGP - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Beware of August Internet and Moe BGP

2»

Comments

• AltesAltes Member

@aveline said:
    I don't really understand why you can trust August and give him personal information.

August, or hkgo LLC, used fake documents to trick ARIN into transferring AS8095 from a dissolved company to hkgo LLC. Although he denied the relationship with hkgo LLC, most of the IP resources he used are still registered under hkgo LLC. If you are also in the networking:ix discord and want to see full details of the drama and maybe the legal owner of hkgo LLC's passport, try searching for hkgo and you'll regret doing business with him :-)

With all that being said; the small gang of other peeps from that Discord obtained their short AS's legally?

• avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

@TWC said:

@aveline said:
    I don't really understand why you can trust August and give him personal information.

August, or hkgo LLC, used fake documents to trick ARIN into transferring AS8095 from a dissolved company to hkgo LLC. Although he denied the relationship with hkgo LLC, most of the IP resources he used are still registered under hkgo LLC. If you are also in the networking:ix discord and want to see full details of the drama and maybe the legal owner of hkgo LLC's passport, try searching for hkgo and you'll regret doing business with him :-)

With all that being said; the small gang of other peeps from that Discord obtained their short AS's legally?

Most short ASNs assigned in late 2022 were assigned to GONET, they returned large chunks of unused ASNs to ARIN. So yes, it’s mostly legit. The AS8095 drama happened before that.

• On the other hand:

@jahoda said: So I ordered /44 IPv6 PI from them

@jahoda said: I can take 5x /48 instead (which would cover my needs as well, but it is actually smaller than what I ordered but still...).

If you can only justify the need for 5x /48, you will still not get a /44 PI from the RIPE NCC, no matter which LIR you apply through. /44 is equal to 16x /48.

If getting 5x /48 or /45 is possible at all...

As @tomle said on the first page of this thread, applying for /47 or larger is quite difficult. There are exactly 66 (active/not returned) such PI assignments currently and none of them were newly made since 2018-09.

• kjartankjartan Member

@jahoda said:
    calling me clown was the point of your reply right? :)

No, you haven't bothered to read and try to understand my reply.

August's blatant false advertising is not to be admired but as an end user of the RIPE NCC you will have, if you signed the Independent Assignment Request and Maintenance Agreement (https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/resource-management/number-resources/independent-resources/independent-assignment-request-and-maintenance-agreement), in writing confirmed your understanding of the RIPE NCC's assignment policies which explicitly state that PI larger than /48 cannot be obtained without justification - and a good one at that.

Internet resources are very different from traditional digital products and as such you cannot simply blame all your problems on the offering party. Everyone here agrees that what August has done is not just wrong but also in violation of RIPE NCC policy. Still, you have demonstrated a significant lack of understanding of the RIPE NCC's assignment process, while you will have stated in writing the contrary.

I apologise for replying so late to a seemingly (now) dead thread. But I'd like for this to remain on here in case other readers find it and perhaps get some use out of it.