Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beware of August Internet and Moe BGP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Beware of August Internet and Moe BGP

Hey guys.
I would like to share my opinion on this two companies. I did my own due diligence before I went ahead with registering IPv6 with them, but it seems like it is not true anymore.

So I ordered /44 IPv6 PI from them, paid the invoice (which was wrong btw., first red light) and was waiting couple days. Then, after some "update please" emails from my end, some agreement came (wrong again, company ID just pasted there through paintbrush probably). Then again, nothing happened. More "update please" emails, some additional paperwork was needed - I've provided it straight away. You can guess it - nothing again for couple days.
At the end, I got registered /48 - without any questions etc. Their explanation - we can't register bigger blocks because blah blah... Okay, I said - why you did not ask for god sake? I can take 5x /48 instead (which would cover my needs as well, but it is actually smaller than what I ordered but still...). Ok, pay another fee + 2x yearly fee. Nope - return that subnet and order 5x /48 so I pay only 1 yearly fee. Silence from that point...

Long story short, I got nothing, they owe me money (it went to chargeback).
Do not do any business with that two companies - it is complete loss. I spent more time with going back and forth than the savings were worth of.

My 2c for today :)

Comments

• Carlin0Carlin0 Member

I have with August Internet a tunnel broker IPV6 with an attached /48
    All absolutely free, everything works ... no problem :)

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

With August, I heard mixed reviews, some good but mostly bad.
    Better go with cloudie.sh @Cloudie

• winerwiner Member

As far as I know MOE should be from Henan, China, if not mistaken.

you may try buy from freerangecloud.com

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

RIPE NCC is very restrictive in assigning PI space larger than /48. They will need a lot of paperwork for anything larger, design diagrams, specification of utilization etc.
    Done it once for a customer for a /47 and it was a wild ride.

• @tomle said:
    RIPE NCC is very restrictive in assigning PI space larger than /48. They will need a lot of paperwork for anything larger, design diagrams, specification of utilization etc.
    Done it once for a customer for a /47 and it was a wild ride.

Yes! Agree!

imo, August should not offer /44 PI if its impossible/not probable to get.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

Why do you need 19,342,813,113,834,066,795,298,816 IP addresses

• @SirFoxy said:

to idle, duh

• @SirFoxy said:

Ew imagine using the same IP everyday. So gross!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2023

And then, when we would run out, we should hang these hoarders to dry!
    /s

• somiksomik Member
    edited May 2023

@Maounique said:
    And then, when we would run out, we should hang these hoarders to dry!
    /s

IPv6 isn't running out anytime soon. There are 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 IPs in IPv6...

Thats 340 trillion, trillion, trillion addresses :lol:

@CheepCluck said:

@SirFoxy said:

Ew imagine using the same IP everyday. So gross!

LOL! If you use one every day, you will still have 99.9% of the IPs unused.

• me with a /40 and an asn ($10) and a 8gb vm for free from august having no issues except him being a bitch at times:

• Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited May 2023

and thats by moebgp

clarification: no its not i forgot moe.bgp is august and yui is beako

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@SirFoxy said:

To run eggdrop for a huge botnet.

/s

• So I talked to August and heres what he has to say:

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@somik said: IPv6 isn't running out anytime soon.

That is why the /s

• jahodajahoda Member
    edited May 2023

@Otus9051 said:
    So I talked to August and heres what he has to say:

Yeah, exactly... no response to emails, no fulfilling the order and demanding to pay more than previously agreed means "so why bother" - ok, sounds legit...
    what he calls "no justification" - even I sent it over to him to no avail - is "he did not send" - yep, that works.
    Last message was - I need 5x /48 instead of /44 (which I ordered - no question asked or no remarks it is not possible). It is that easy to send an email saying "look, /44 is not possible, do you want to proceed?" - no, nothing. And would you ask for refund from deaf email without any response? :) I'd say no. Was reminding him I'd do a chargeback - maybe he was sitting silently I'd not do it :)

Funny thing is, that he is not going to do anything in that matter even I did a chargeback - it is just ignoring world and waiting whether I would ask for my money or not. Crazy world.

And re: wasting time - I spent about 1 month going back and forth with him - so "time is precious" sentence is just spot on - no additional resources to this case.

Questions about why I need /44 - I am ordering what is available. I am not here to study what RIPE is offering - if I suppose to do it, I can obtain LIR and do all by myself. There was no remark anywhere and as I said, one email would be sufficient to line things up.

• VoidVoid Member

@Otus9051 said:
    me with a /40 and an asn ($10) and a 8gb vm for free from august having no issues except him being a bitch at times:

I’m curious - where did you did that offer ?

• kjartankjartan Member

Looks like clown-to-clown communication. August's order form states allocations larger than /44 require justification, not just larger than /48, and it looks like when he tries to explain this to OP, OP doesn't care to make an effort to understand what he is being told.

Notice also how there is a prompt for allocation size and then a prompt for PI, despite RIPE not handing out PI larger than /44 which even then requires hefty justification.

• jahodajahoda Member

@kjartan said:
    Looks like clown-to-clown communication. August's order form states allocations larger than /44 require justification, not just larger than /48, and it looks like when he tries to explain this to OP, OP doesn't care to make an effort to understand what he is being told.

Notice also how there is a prompt for allocation size and then a prompt for PI, despite RIPE not handing out PI larger than /44 which even then requires hefty justification.

calling me clown was the point of your reply right? :)
    again - I've ordered what was offered (/44). Justified everything as per request and got /48 instead. If question were raised what to do when /44 is not available, we will get into proper agreement. But this was not done. Nothing more, nothing less.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@Otus9051 said:

How nice of him to discuss a specific customer's details with someone totally irrelated ... It's new to me this is even a legal thing to do in most EMEA countries (I presume they are EMEA, given RIPE NCC serves EMEA).

It's so sad sometimes to see the cowboys in our industry making a name for low pricing, but low pricing usually comes at a cost. It just makes industry standards lower, making our customers ask for unreasonably low pricing, we cannot deal with at our high(er) service levels (for example see Trustpilot in my sig).

As I have said many times to prospects; some LIRs might be cheaper, but you should follow your heart and go with the party who makes you feel at home and knows what they are dealing with.

• @RickBakkr said:

@Otus9051 said:

How nice of him to discuss a specific customer's details with someone totally irrelated ... It's new to me this is even a legal thing to do in most EMEA countries (I presume they are EMEA, given RIPE NCC serves EMEA).

It's so sad sometimes to see the cowboys in our industry making a name for low pricing, but low pricing usually comes at a cost. It just makes industry standards lower, making our customers ask for unreasonably low pricing, we cannot deal with at our high(er) service levels (for example see Trustpilot in my sig).

As I have said many times to prospects; some LIRs might be cheaper, but you should follow your heart and go with the party who makes you feel at home and knows what they are dealing with.

As far as I know, August is currently doing a course on business studies (which he cheats in exams for) and lives in Canada.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2023

@RickBakkr said:

@Otus9051 said:

two kids where one of them thinks his prestige is equivalent to microsoft and apple. What a waste of time.

• Carlin0Carlin0 Member

BTW I don’t trust Trustpilot

• @Carlin0 said:

untrustpilot

Thanked by 1Carlin0
  • jahodajahoda Member

@Otus9051 said:

@Carlin0 said:

untrustpilot

zerotrustpilot?

• @jahoda said:

@Otus9051 said:

@Carlin0 said:

untrustpilot

zerotrustpilot?

thats cloudflare

• avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

I don't really understand why you can trust August and give him personal information.

August, or hkgo LLC, used fake documents to trick ARIN into transferring AS8095 from a dissolved company to hkgo LLC. Although he denied the relationship with hkgo LLC, most of the IP resources he used are still registered under hkgo LLC. If you are also in the networking:ix discord and want to see full details of the drama and maybe the legal owner of hkgo LLC's passport, try searching for hkgo and you'll regret doing business with him :-)

Thanked by 1fluffernutter
  • jahodajahoda Member

I am wondering, why all of these are popping out just now? :) I did research before ordering and did see some shady relationship (august + moe + hkgo) but nothing major...
    are people that lazy to do a proper feedback or just worried? or what...
    (I am not discord person tbh)

• hellb0yhellb0y Member

I have with August Internet a tunnel broker IPV6 with an attached /48 for about a year for free.
    Had no issues so far .