Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo a good choice?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo a good choice?

So I want a pretty much long-term server solution but under 15 USD. I purchased Contabo's CLOUD VPS S.

Then I thought, "I forgot to check LET, let's hop on it and check if anything new pops up", and I came across server-factory, netCup, alphavps, lowhosting, which all have tempting specs as per price.

My usage is pretty simple, install CyberPanel, and host WordPress websites for my clients and me.

Did I make the right choice? or should I change provider after the month's end?

Comments

• HostWildHostWild Member, Host Rep

Hello! @DigiGoon

As past reseller experience at contabo, pricing is good but VPS hardware potential is not well enough.

Thanks & Regards,
    Team HostWild.

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited May 2023

Check your hardware and i/o. Sometimes they aren't good, but other times you can get lucky.
    EDIT: I have a VPS with them that is actually pretty decent, and for the price is great.

• emghemgh Member
    edited May 2023

They’re decent

I think it depends on how important the websites are and how much your clients pay

If you want to spend more/lower your specs to get something more reputable, that’s an option

I guess it’s just up to you, based on what you host

If so, I’d recommend the Vultr High Frequency-line. Stellar WordPress performance

But yeah, you’d have to spend more, or basically 1/4 your RAM

I wouldn’t consider it very worth it to change to any provider you mentioned since they’re very similar

I’d say though that Netcup seems to have a good reputation around here, apart from their contracts (harder to cancel a plan)

• Tony40Tony40 Member

For me, Contabo been pretty good.

• GravelyGravely Member

Don't even bother with Sydney.

• For clients? Heck no. Choose the best hosting companies for your clients, i think Contabo is not one of them!

• it is good until it isn't

• @febryanvaldo said:
    For clients? Heck no. Choose the best hosting companies for your clients, i think Contabo is not one of them!

Contabo isn't fantastic but a lot of webhosts use them anyways. I'd say they're probably fine and I'd trust them to be more stable than most LE* hosts. I'd only really trust NetCup out of OP's lost, and also agree with @emgh. WordPress really likes single core performance, so the high frequency stuff will run the best.

Thanked by 2emgh sasslik
  • yanlingyanling Member

Maybe you can search keywords “contabo” on twitter to see how people have given bad reviews

• @fluffernutter said: Contabo isn't fantastic but a lot of webhosts use them anyways. I'd say they're probably fine and I'd trust them to be more stable than most LE* hosts.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, i was using Contabo for my production sites almost 2 years, and trust me, the downtime i had was less than 15-20 mins. It was pretty solid in terms of uptime.

But the performance though, it was not that stable, CPU Steal could reach 50-70 in peak hours. The storage (YABS) got lower and lower every single month.

So yeah... as @cybertech said,

@cybertech said: it is good until it isn't

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

Contabo is pretty good. A lot of people say they over-allocate a lot*, but in the past 24 hours, my average CPU steal number is about 5-10:

*this is true, but luckily, my vps is on a good node.

I once had a uptime of over 200+ days, but I restarted my vps due to some kernel updates.

Thanked by 1harrison
  • I did a YABS on the one I have from Contabo. How can I measure CPU steal?

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2023-04-23                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Thu May 11 12:46:06 AM CEST 2023

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 5 days, 9 hours, 24 minutes
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7282 16-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 2794.748 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 7.8 GiB
    Swap       : 2.0 GiB
    Disk       : 197.2 GiB
    Distro     : Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
    Kernel     : 5.15.0-71-generic
    VM Type    : KVM
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ❌ Offline

IPv4 Network Information:
    ISP        : Contabo GmbH
    ASN        : AS51167 Contabo GmbH
    Host       : Contabo GmbH
    Location   : Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia (NW)
    Country    : Germany

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 5.28 MB/s     (1.3k) | 64.09 MB/s    (1.0k)
    Write      | 5.31 MB/s     (1.3k) | 64.52 MB/s    (1.0k)
    Total      | 10.59 MB/s    (2.6k) | 128.62 MB/s   (2.0k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 127.79 MB/s    (249) | 97.82 MB/s      (95)
    Write      | 134.59 MB/s    (262) | 104.34 MB/s    (101)
    Total      | 262.38 MB/s    (511) | 202.17 MB/s    (196)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 189 Mbits/sec   | 198 Mbits/sec   | 10.6 ms
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 191 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 15.0 ms
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 191 Mbits/sec   | 199 Mbits/sec   | 5.00 ms
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 184 Mbits/sec   | 189 Mbits/sec   | 96.4 ms
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 182 Mbits/sec   | 191 Mbits/sec   | 79.4 ms
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 177 Mbits/sec   | 187 Mbits/sec   | 118 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 173 Mbits/sec   | 184 Mbits/sec   | 149 ms

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 949
    Multi Core      | 2667
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/1216549

YABS completed in 11 min 50 sec

• @BasToTheMax said:
    Contabo is pretty good. A lot of people say they over-allocate a lot*, but in the past 24 hours, my average CPU steal number is about 5-10:

I once had a uptime of over 200+ days, but I restarted my vps due to some kernel updates.

Which monitoring tool is that?

• @emgh said:
    They’re decent

I think it depends on how important the websites are and how much your clients pay

If you want to spend more/lower your specs to get something more reputable, that’s an option

I guess it’s just up to you, based on what you host

If so, I’d recommend the Vultr High Frequency-line. Stellar WordPress performance

But yeah, you’d have to spend more, or basically 1/4 your RAM

I wouldn’t consider it very worth it to change to any provider you mentioned since they’re very similar

I’d say though that Netcup seems to have a good reputation around here, apart from their contracts (harder to cancel a plan)

Vultr is a bit pricey as per my budget, what I plan is my own website and clients website all those in a single VPS, security and all that stuff is not a problem since I can manage that myself. Hence looking for a good performance with decent price.

PS: NetCup's app is appealing.

• Why so rude with contabo? I used for years...are good vps! What do you suggest like alternative?

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax
  • emghemgh Member

@chiccorosso said:
    Why so rude with contabo? I used for years...are good vps! What do you suggest like alternative?

I think this thread has been much more fair to Contabo compared to what kind of response they normally get

• NanjaNanja Member

I used to have Contabo, the network speeds were horrible.. I reinstalled the OS network speed great. I had to reinstall OS again, network speed was poop again. I don't understand the logic with how that works.

Anyways, as a past user of them I think they have great services if you are one of the lucky ones.

When I first purchased Contabo what made me weary of them was that people mentioned CPU stealing happens a lot. I never experienced this though, but I am sure it happen.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Hetzner ARM series is priced similarly and could be an option. Think the ARM range is great for apps such as websites, the CPUs are actually pretty fast.

• Many bad neighbor in their host system sometimes. If you got lucky you Will get good neighbor

• BoltFlareBoltFlare Member, Host Rep

@DigiGoon said:
    I did a YABS on the one I have from Contabo. How can I measure CPU steal?

You may use command:

For more details, here's the tutorial how to take CPU steal reading.

https://opensource.com/article/20/1/cpu-steal-time

• adnsadns Member

It is a good selection. You can expand your experience in the following topics

• search causes of errors on your system
    • learn peformance checker tools usage
    • learn communication with your hosting provider and clients

BTW the contabo's main problem is the low IO performance that you can ask to make better and the high node load which produces high CPU steal. For this task depending on load Contabo can be a good selection but keep in mind that if your site has high traffic the advertised resources might not available and enough.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited May 2023

@BasToTheMax said:

Yeah, now please show your CPU usage, not only steal.
    If your VM asks for 5% of CPU and has like 5% of steal... then imagine how much it gonna be if you try to use like 40% :D

• alexroeualexroeu Member
    edited May 2023

It depends on your luck. In my experience with Contabo I noticed that the UK vpses are in general less crowded than the german ones. But choosing UK it's just a chance to have less noisy neighbours, not a guarantee.

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

@DigiGoon said:

@BasToTheMax said:

Which monitoring tool is that?

Netdata

• You only get 200 mbps network with contabo base plans. Other than that it just works fine and don't forget to choose NVMe discs.

• do any of you have netcup's dedicated core's YAB?

also dedicated core means they assign whole thread to the vm right?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@DigiGoon said: also dedicated core means they assign whole thread to the vm right?

Yes, in theory.

• @DigiGoon said:
    do any of you have netcup's dedicated core's YAB?

Some time old one

Base RS 1000 G9.5

#                     v2023-03-24                    #

Mo 27. Mär 14:25:43 CEST 2023

Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 14 minutes
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7702P 64-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 1996.249 MHz
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 157.3 GiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
    Kernel     : 5.10.0-21-amd64
    Net Online : IPv4 & IPv6

IPv6 Network Information:
    ISP        : netcup GmbH
    ASN        : AS197540 netcup GmbH
    Host       : NETCUP-GMBH
    Location   : Magdeburg, Saxony-Anhalt (ST)

Read       | 64.10 MB/s   (16.0k) | 2.09 GB/s    (32.7k)
    Write      | 64.23 MB/s   (16.0k) | 2.10 GB/s    (32.8k)
    Total      | 128.33 MB/s  (32.0k) | 4.19 GB/s    (65.6k)
               |                      |
    Read       | 4.63 GB/s     (9.0k) | 4.59 GB/s     (4.4k)
    Write      | 4.87 GB/s     (9.5k) | 4.89 GB/s     (4.7k)
    Total      | 9.51 GB/s    (18.5k) | 9.48 GB/s     (9.2k)

Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.45 Gbits/sec  | 2.37 Gbits/sec  | --
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.90 Gbits/sec  | 2.37 Gbits/sec  | 26.8 ms
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 2.26 Gbits/sec  | 2.38 Gbits/sec  | 10.7 ms
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 659 Mbits/sec   | 2.91 Mbits/sec  | 188 ms
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | busy            | 395 Mbits/sec   | --
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 385 Mbits/sec   | 660 Mbits/sec   | 127 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 425 Mbits/sec   | 524 Mbits/sec   | --

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.29 Gbits/sec  | busy            | 22.0 ms
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.35 Gbits/sec  | 2.13 Gbits/sec  | 38.3 ms
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | busy            | 2.34 Gbits/sec  | 10.6 ms
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 685 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 188 ms
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | busy            | busy            | --
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 307 Mbits/sec   | 604 Mbits/sec   | 127 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 435 Mbits/sec   | 774 Mbits/sec   | 156 ms

Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1222
    Multi Core      | 3886
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/698852

YABS completed in 14 min 5 sec

• DigiGoonDigiGoon Member
    edited May 2023

@sreekanth850 said:
    Some time old one

Base RS 1000 G9.5

|                      |

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.45 Gbits/sec  | 2.37 Gbits/sec  | --
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.90 Gbits/sec  | 2.37 Gbits/sec  | 26.8 ms
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 2.26 Gbits/sec  | 2.38 Gbits/sec  | 10.7 ms
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 659 Mbits/sec   | 2.91 Mbits/sec  | 188 ms
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | busy            | 395 Mbits/sec   | --
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 385 Mbits/sec   | 660 Mbits/sec   | 127 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 425 Mbits/sec   | 524 Mbits/sec   | --

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.29 Gbits/sec  | busy            | 22.0 ms
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.35 Gbits/sec  | 2.13 Gbits/sec  | 38.3 ms
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | busy            | 2.34 Gbits/sec  | 10.6 ms
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 685 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 188 ms
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | busy            | busy            | --
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 307 Mbits/sec   | 604 Mbits/sec   | 127 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 435 Mbits/sec   | 774 Mbits/sec   | 156 ms

Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1222
    Multi Core      | 3886

Seems like good scores!!!

• @DigiGoon said:

@sreekanth850 said:

@DigiGoon said:
    do any of you have netcup's dedicated core's YAB?

Some time old one

Base RS 1000 G9.5

|                      |

Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1222
    Multi Core      | 3886

Seems like good scores!!!

For that price its great. And your cores are dedicated.