Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.com domain reg for just $2.98/yr - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

.com domain reg for just $2.98/yr

Comments

• amsaalamsaal Member

@OhJohn said:

@amsaal said: based on reviews on trustpilot i will not touch this one.

Three reviews with (at least) one screaming pebcak to guide your decision?

yes thats a honest answer what else you want. its my decision.

• emgemg Veteran

I did not like Spaceship's website or its user interface limitations. Here is a website that takes your money. They tell you nothing about themselves or their company beyond what is legally mandated.

I could easily admire the simplicity of the website design. It does look quite effective for clueless beginners who wants to register their own domain name for the first time. In a way, it is "GoDaddy 2.0".

Where is the helpful information for informed users who want to dig deeper and learn more about Spaceship?

What is the history of the company? Which TLDs do they offer? What is the pricing for registration and renewals for each TLD? What does the control panel look like? How do I enable/disable privacy ... or is that even possible? Are their other restrictions for registrations - like DNS requirements? etc. etc. etc. None of those basic questions is easily answered from their website. I assume that more is revealed if you actually buy or transfer a domain.

Support and all other information is hidden behind an email interface. You contact them via email or web form, and they decide what information they will disclose, assuming they respond.

I was focused on domain registration, but there is little on their other services, either.

• NanjaNanja Member
    edited May 2023

@TimboJones said:

@Nanja said:
    I signed up and got domain, email, hosting, ssl (email and ssl free for a year)... because someone said it is owned by namecheap.

I wanted to use the personal name servers to point to ip for the website I am hosting on their servers, they said I could. I noticed their name servers pointed to cloudflare. So I asked if I used personal name servers pointing the NS at the website IP instead of cloudflare would create issues for them. It wasn't something live chat could answer.

I was trying to be nice.

I asked this in live chat 7 hours ago and they escalated it to people more knowledgeable.
    Still no response... It's a working day Monday, no holiday that I know of. It shouldn't be that difficult of a question no?

I thought namecheap was a rather large company with lots of employee's.

It's a confusing question that is strange you'd ask them. Your English isn't great. You've said they answered your question about using your own name servers as that's typical use case. Your next question isn't clear wtf you're asking. It's like you asked the same exact question, but reworded it to confuse the reader "wtf is he talking about different than before?"

I was thinking that if I use their name servers it goes to cloudflare for their ddos protection. If I use a custom name server it bypasses their cloudflares ddos protection and goes straight to their web servers IP. I was concerned that if a ddos attack was to happen and crash several websites. The flaw would've been caused by me.

Edit: you are probably right, I should've wrote what I asked easier.

• @Nanja said:

@TimboJones said:

@Nanja said:
    I signed up and got domain, email, hosting, ssl (email and ssl free for a year)... because someone said it is owned by namecheap.

I wanted to use the personal name servers to point to ip for the website I am hosting on their servers, they said I could. I noticed their name servers pointed to cloudflare. So I asked if I used personal name servers pointing the NS at the website IP instead of cloudflare would create issues for them. It wasn't something live chat could answer.

I was trying to be nice.

I asked this in live chat 7 hours ago and they escalated it to people more knowledgeable.
    Still no response... It's a working day Monday, no holiday that I know of. It shouldn't be that difficult of a question no?

It's a confusing question that is strange you'd ask them. Your English isn't great. You've said they answered your question about using your own name servers as that's typical use case. Your next question isn't clear wtf you're asking. It's like you asked the same exact question, but reworded it to confuse the reader "wtf is he talking about different than before?"

I was thinking that if I use their name servers it goes to cloudflare for their ddos protection. If I use a custom name server it bypasses their cloudflares ddos protection and goes straight to their web servers IP. I was concerned that if a ddos attack was to happen and crash several websites. The flaw would've been caused by me.

The nameservers don't have DDoS protection, only the cloudflare IP's. So if you configure a nameserver to report the actual website IP instead of the Cloudflare IP, of course you won't have protection.

You can use your own nameservers and point to Cloudflare IP's. I don't think you understand the difference between a nameserver, DNS server and website.

Tl;dr leave their nameservers and cloudflare proxy support if you want DDoS protection.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I bought a nice .COM, and for peanuts compared to other registrars. I hope they expand their site to include more info in the future.

Thanked by 2emgh bdl
  • @Nanja said:

Which provider issued the certificate? Does the certificate also renew for free after the domain renewal?

• emghemgh Member

@Arkas said:
    I bought a nice .COM, and for peanuts compared to other registrars. I hope they expand their site to include more info in the future.

Yes, I don't really get if NameCheap is slowly becoming Spaceship or if it's going after a different clinetele

• NanjaNanja Member

@bvgfao40723 said:

@Nanja said:

Which provider issued the certificate? Does the certificate also renew for free after the domain renewal?

Sectigo PositiveSSL renews at $11/yr

Thanked by 1bvgfao40723
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@emgh said: Yes, I don't really get if NameCheap is slowly becoming Spaceship or if it's going after a different clinetele

To me it looks like they are trying to copy the CloudFlare Registrar model but without the limitations of CF such as only using their own NS or forced privacy settings. A more 'simple' Namecheap for lower prices with a more basic UX.
    That's just my opinion.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited May 2023

@Arkas said: To me it looks like they are trying to copy the CloudFlare Registrar model but without the limitations of CF such as only using their own NS or forced privacy settings. A more 'simple' Namecheap for lower prices with a more basic UX.

Yeah maybe. But to me, CloudFlare, while it's minimalistic, I think the average technical experience of users exceeds most other registrars

I can't really seem to understand if these are the same users Spaceship will target, or if it's those just a little more advanced compared to the likes of Squarespace for example

What makes me think NameCheap will slowly become Spaceship is the fact that I think I recall NameCheap CEO tweeting that he deeply regrets the NameCheap brand name

Edit: A missed oppurtunity to not profile themselves HARD on privacy. But not like privacy for those who need it (Epik), more like privacy to those who are afraid of Facebook, like Apple

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • winerwiner Member

@AXYZE said:
    Hey, I just saw promo from spaceship.com (owned by namecheap)

.com domain registration just for $2.98 with coupon code COM67. Limit 1 per customer.
    .com renewal is just $8.98

Payment methods are PayPal and credit card

I've used this promo already and I need to say interface looks better visually than Porkbun and Namechap, but UX wise its kinda all over the place, you will need to get used to it.

Dashboard looks like this

Namecheap is solid brand so you don't need to worry about this pricing, they need to attract customers so they burn some money with these prices... use it :)

Have you discount code for net and org transfer?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited May 2023

@winer said:

@AXYZE said:

.com domain registration just for $2.98 with coupon code COM67. Limit 1 per customer.

I've used this promo already and I need to say interface looks better visually than Porkbun and Namechap, but UX wise its kinda all over the place, you will need to get used to it.

Namecheap is solid brand so you don't need to worry about this pricing, they need to attract customers so they burn some money with these prices... use it :)

SPST25 for both .net and .org - limit 1 per customer respectively.

You can always check for codes (if there's any) on tld-list or tldes.

Thanked by 2nick_ OhJohn
  • winerwiner Member

@DP said:

@winer said:

@AXYZE said:

SPST25 for both .net and .org - limit 1 per customer respectively.

You can always check for codes (if there's any) on tld-list or tldes.

Thank you, this is good tool.

• @Nanja said:

You can just use LetsEncrypt for free.

• @martheen said:

@Nanja said:

You can just use LetsEncrypt for free.

Yes, ACME works great.

• LeviLevi Member

Why domain registrator created same theme project? What's the point?

• NanjaNanja Member
    edited May 2023

@TimboJones said:

@Nanja said:

@TimboJones said:

@Nanja said:

I was trying to be nice.

The nameservers don't have DDoS protection, only the cloudflare IP's. So if you configure a nameserver to report the actual website IP instead of the Cloudflare IP, of course you won't have protection.

You can use your own nameservers and point to Cloudflare IP's. I don't think you understand the difference between a nameserver, DNS server and website.

Tl;dr leave their nameservers and cloudflare proxy support if you want DDoS protection.

I might not know anything according to you( you don't even know me ), but you can't use personal name servers to point at their hosting now. I guess they agree with me even though my English might not make sense. Anyways, personal name servers is kind of a silly feature to have if you can't use it with their services.

• emghemgh Member

@Nanja said:

@TimboJones said:

@Nanja said:

@TimboJones said:

@Nanja said:

I was trying to be nice.

I might not know anything according to you( you don't even know me ), but you can't use personal name servers to point at their hosting now. I guess they agree with me even though my English might not make sense. Anyways, personal name servers is kind of a silly feature to have if you can't use it with their services.

You mean personal nameservers with Cloudflare?

Or like missing a GLUE-records feature at Spaceship?

@LTniger said:
    Why domain registrator created same theme project? What's the point?

I'd love to provide some very valuable input but I honestly just don't understand.

• NanjaNanja Member

At Spaceship they have personal nameservers you can use, you just can't use it with their hosting.

Kinda like what they do on their main site namecheap, but pretty sure you can use it with their hosting over there.

• HxxxHxxx Member

nice to know @AXYZE . Thanks for the info. Finally something useful in LET in months.

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog emgh
  • emgemg Veteran

@Nanja said:

At Spaceship they have personal nameservers you can use, you just can't use it with their hosting.

Kinda like what they do on their main site namecheap, but pretty sure you can use it with their hosting over there.

My issue with Spaceship is that they do not display this basic usage information for prospective customers. You must become a customer to see anything about their control panels or user interfaces. I infer this because I did not get to that step.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

Got a great domain for a not-so-great amount, thanks @AXYZE !

• emghemgh Member
    edited May 2023

@emg said: My issue with Spaceship is that they do not display this basic usage information for prospective customers

They also repeatedly state that they're in beta

Not trying to be mean or even to defend them, I just got a domain and I noticed several bugs along the way

But I'd rather be able to use their beta and for them to note my issues and fix them compared to getting a polished version in a year (that is, if I like the service overall)

I started a live chat and explained some of the bigger issues I encountered and they seemed responsive and confirmed that they could replicate them

They're making quite a loss per domain so experiencing a buggy platform with a lack of information seems like an OK trade-off

The livechat seems fairly active too

Edit: I think generally with companies we should be forgiving of issues at an early stage. Same goes with the likes of OpenAI etc, let's normalize launching early as long as the basics are working (and as long as its' clear from the get-go)

• @Nanja said:

This is true for most shared hosting (cpanel, DirectAdmin, etc) where it's easier to just have the sharedhost's nameservers generate the 20-30 DNS records rather than you have to manually enter them in on your own nameservers. If they handle that stuff, they can migrate and change due to technical issues quicker and easier with less downtime than if you ran your own nameservers.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@TimboJones said:

@Nanja said:

This is true for most shared hosting (cpanel, DirectAdmin, etc) where it's easier to just have the sharedhost's nameservers generate the 20-30 DNS records rather than you have to manually enter them in on your own nameservers. If they handle that stuff, they can migrate and change due to technical issues quicker and easier with less downtime than if you ran your own nameservers.

If one only was brave enough to run any DNS but Cloudflare🥹

I’m too afraid someone takes my IPs, I get into a coma, they DDoS me for 3 months and I wake up having to sell my apartment to pay the bandwidth bill

• emghemgh Member

@emgh said:

@TimboJones said:

@Nanja said:

If one only was brave enough to run any DNS but Cloudflare🥹

I’m too afraid someone takes my IPs, I get into a coma, they DDoS me for 3 months and I wake up having to sell my apartment to pay the bandwidth bill

@Otus9051 gets me

• emgemg Veteran

@emg said:
    My issue with Spaceship is that they do not display this basic usage information for prospective customers

@emgh said:

They also repeatedly state that they're in beta

Not trying to be mean or even to defend them, I just got a domain and I noticed several bugs along the way

But I'd rather be able to use their beta and for them to note my issues and fix them compared to getting a polished version in a year (that is, if I like the service overall)

I started a live chat and explained some of the bigger issues I encountered and they seemed responsive and confirmed that they could replicate them

They're making quite a loss per domain so experiencing a buggy platform with a lack of information seems like an OK trade-off

The livechat seems fairly active too

Edit: I think generally with companies we should be forgiving of issues at an early stage. Same goes with the likes of OpenAI etc, let's normalize launching early as long as the basics are working (and as long as its' clear from the get-go)

Good points.

Since I do not have an account (yet), would you mind submitting a ticket or comment asking them to expose more of their documentation, interface usage examples, or help files that customers can see? You can add that you have seen outside comments from prospective customers about the lack of visibility for Starship's basic usage documentation.

• Why do people buy ssl rather than let's encrypt? Does a paid one provide better security?

Thanked by 1PineappleM
  • NanjaNanja Member

@MissFortune said:
    Why do people buy ssl rather than let's encrypt? Does a paid one provide better security?

I prefer let's encrypt, I got ssl free with spaceships shared hosting so I figured I might use it.

I think I remember reading that the security is pretty much the same as a regular DV certificate. If I was a big company I would use a paid SSL for extra assurance, free SSL doesn't have warranties to cover their customers just in case something bad happens and they lose money at your site because of security.
    I am sure there are multiple reasons, but that's just what I am familiar with.

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

I registered a .com with him just a few days ago. I like the UI but did find it hard to navigate.

In the end, walked away with a pretty cheap domain (that I probably will transfer to CF next year). Not using their hosting or any other services but all in all, Pretty good!