Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your daily driver os? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your daily driver os?

2»

Comments

• @vitobotta said:
    I am a die hard macOS fan and I wouldn't replace it with anything else yet, for desktop use

My only complain with macos, it's too much reliant on mouse / touchpad. It doesn't even have mnemonic alt+letter like on Windows and Linux.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said:

@skorupion said: because its really easy to make a file share with windows

Really...

Yes, as simple as right click, properties, share and done!

• MMzFMMzF Member

@Nanja said:
    I bet most say Debian. I swapped to using Debian, because of a poll on here that was made a couple of months back.

How's it going? are you satisfied by its performance and daily use?

• MMzFMMzF Member

@jlet88 said:
    Variety of Linux distros - current favorite is Linux Mint.

debian based version?

• emreemre Member, LIR

main workstation

Manjaro Cinnamon

main daily commute

2016 Skoda Superb

• MacOS for gaming
    Ubuntu for Office use
    and windows for Dev :smirk:

• BilohBucksBilohBucks Member
    edited May 2023

Windows 10 for gaming
    KDE Neon for anything else

• Astra Linux

• oyhacooyhaco Member

windows 11 and honda

• hwthwt Member

Unfortunately, couldn't get debian to work on my laptop due to Intel RAID issues - my BIOS doesn't allow me to change to AHCI mode. So it's Ubuntu for now.

Debian 11 for almost everything else.

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited May 2023

@MMzF said:

@jlet88 said:
    Variety of Linux distros - current favorite is Linux Mint.

debian based version?

Both Debian-based and Ubuntu-based. Although as you know Ubuntu is based on Debian so they're all part of the same general quadrant of Linux distros.

But between the standard Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition vs. LMDE 5 (Linux Mint Debian Edition), they are kind of tied for me. Sometimes LMDE is #1, sometimes the regular Cinnamon Edition is #1... catch me a different day and I might say something else.

I've got several machines, sometimes my daily driver is one or the other. But if I had to choose just one of them and that's it for a whole year, I'd probably go LMDE. It is just missing a couple minor things from the regular Ubuntu-based edition, which I wish they would add, but I find it works as well or better than the normal Linux Mint, and you don't get the aftertaste of Ubuntu, if that matters. :)

I also really like Linux Mint MATE Edition BTW. I like the Xfce edition too, but I don't install that one that often. They're all very very good though.

I like the Linux Mint team's approach in general. I find their philosophy results in a very stable, very usable, consistent and solid daily driver. And since you were asking about daily drivers...

• KousakaKousaka Member

Arch with KDE for ~6 years now. Looks nice and works well.

• themewthemew Member

BTW, I use Arch.

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited May 2023

@default said:
    Once you find something you enjoy, keep it and stick with it, so you may focus on being efficient for our great evolution of humanity.

Well said. I think people spend a lot of time distro-hopping -- I sure did myself! That's fine of course. And there are so many good distros today. It's part of the fun of using Linux too, and I revisit several other distros from time to time to see what's out there. But if someone wants to be productive as a human being and actually get stuff done in life, then I agree that once you find something that you enjoy, use it, and focus on what you really need a "daily driver" for and get back to "driving."

Thanked by 1default
  • MacOS works best for my Desktop use.

.... Oh, and a Chrysler 😂

• Vovan32Vovan32 Member

Any Linux distribution is very similar. I'm use Linux Mint last 10 years. All computers around me use this one. Mint with DE Mate is very friendly and see like a Windows. try it - you might like it.

• MacOS is a nice Unix OS, which means its also POSIX compliant. I find it to be easier to work with (in terms of dev experience) than any Linux distro, and infinitely better than Windows in every way.

• nocloudnocloud Member

Has to be Linux Debian or Arch distro as my preferred OS.

When i hear "daily driver" i cringe. no offense intended.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

macOS Ventura. But right now I can see that Windows 11 is impressive.. Even snappier than Ventura 🤷‍♂️

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2023

Windows 10 and ZorinOS for my devbox in Virtualbox. Lots of other vbox vms, too.