Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your daily driver os?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your daily driver os?

MMzFMMzF Member

Hi there, i was just wondering to switch from fedora on my laptop for daily use, just wanted to ask the community which will be great experience with stability and what os do they use for how long?

Comments

• NanjaNanja Member

I bet most say Debian. I swapped to using Debian, because of a poll on here that was made a couple of months back.

• Debian and Arch, not so bad.

• LeviLevi Member

2007 Toyota.

Thanked by 2iKeyZ tjn
  • conceptconcept Member

Debian is very stable, but you are super behind on updates. Great for servers but not that good for daily use. Fedora is a great choice.

• Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited May 2023

I use Arch. Fedora when I want to switch to something else. Debian doesn't support my WiFi Card OOTB so I don't use it, but its a damn good OS for servers. If you want something like Debian but for daily usage, get Fedora.

• defaultdefault Veteran

Any Linux distribution is good. Feel free to try and test different desktop variants to find what makes you feel comfortable with while, also having things comfortable for the laptop on resources.

I use Linux Mint MATE because I am old as a millenial who played with Gnome in the past. But you might want to try new things and newer desktops with all sorts of special effects (like Deepin, PopOS or ZorinOS. Again: it also depends on what your laptop can handle, so try them yourself and see if you like them. Once you find something you enjoy, keep it and stick with it, so you may focus on being efficient for our great evolution of humanity.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • NanjaNanja Member

@default said:
    Any Linux distribution is good. Feel free to try and test different desktop variants to find what makes you feel comfortable with while, also having things comfortable for the laptop on resources.

I use Linux Mint MATE because I am old as a millenial who played with Gnome in the past. But you might want to try new things and newer desktops with all sorts of special effects (like Deepin, PopOS or ZorinOS. Again: it also depends on what your laptop can handle, so try them yourself and see if you like them. Once you find something you enjoy, keep it and stick with it, so you may focus on being efficient for our great evolution of humanity.

Wow, thanks for mentioning Deepin, never heard of it. It looks so clean! Is it just a prettier Debian? I see that it is built off of a Stable Debian, idk which version they refer to.

• AstroAstro Member

macOS for life.

Used to be arch earlier.

Thanked by 1hannes
  • macOS when I'm using Adobe and Office suite, for others I use Ubuntu.

• sliixsliix Member

Linux Mint Cinnamon.

• @Astro said:
    macOS for life.

Used to be arch earlier.

noob

• corbpiecorbpie Member

2018 Hyundai

• Gaming and other casual uses - Windows
    Viewing Content (streaming, reading blogs) - MacOS
    Work - Kali (not working in cybersecurity, its just the easiest to get a vm started with)

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited May 2023

@Nanja said:

@default said:

Wow, thanks for mentioning Deepin, never heard of it. It looks so clean! Is it just a prettier Debian? I see that it is built off of a Stable Debian, idk which version they refer to.

Deepin is chinese os based on debian. They are headquartered at famous wuhan.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@sreekanth850 said:
    Deepin is chinese os based on debian. They are headquartered at famous wuhan.

So if I install it I would get Covid19 from it?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@default said: So if I install it I would get Covid19 from it?

No, but you'll get a complimentary membership to the CCP :wink:

• Windows 10.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@Arkas said:

@default said: So if I install it I would get Covid19 from it?

No, but you'll get a complimentary membership to the CCP :wink:

I know Deepin is open source but I did not know CCP was open too. Anyhow, I am just interested in Deepin, without joining CCP. If they force me to join, I could simply compile Deepin myself while removing the joining requirements from the source code.

• bgerardbgerard Member

general desktop - windows 10
    development desktop - Linux mint cinnamon
    Personal laptop - Ubuntu
    Work laptop - manjaro

• varwwwvarwww Member

Why switch from Fedora? It's the best linux distro for laptop/desktop use. It is semi rolling and stable unlike Archlinux. Only disadvantage is the slow package manager dnf . I think you can run dnf5 now on Fedora 38 which may solve it ?

I am currently using Debian 12. I think it's best to stick to the major distro's for daily driver i.e Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora. I may move to Fedora 38 in few weeks since Debian 12 is already getting stale for me (great for servers though).

• jlet88jlet88 Member

Variety of Linux distros - current favorite is Linux Mint.

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

I'm currently happy with KDE Neon

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@typicalGtaTG said: I'm currently happy with KDE Neon

If it only wasn't based on LTS and they got rid of snaps...

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

@Arkas said:

@typicalGtaTG said: I'm currently happy with KDE Neon

If it only wasn't based on LTS and they got rid of snaps...

I'll agree with you about the snaps... I just ignore it and go on about my day. I already have servers where I can easily install windows or linux with DE if i ever need anything so it works for me just fine.

• cochoncochon Member

Desktop? then Windows 10, even though I can upgrade to 11, just too old to learn new tricks and unlearn old ones... Linux DE or Windows 11.

• use windows on personal computer due to reasons.

but on servers, the latest debian is my go-to. they're releasing a new one soon, let's see how that goes.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • ailiceailice Member

Honda Astrea Legend is my daily driver

• I am a die hard macOS fan and I wouldn't replace it with anything else yet, for desktop use

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Windows 11 on my laptop and PC and windows server 2022 on the server sitting next to me (because its really easy to make a file share with windows)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@skorupion said: because its really easy to make a file share with windows

Really...