Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

【1keydd devdeskos】how to install a slim pve in VPSes with small memory footprint <512m
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

【1keydd devdeskos】how to install a slim pve in VPSes with small memory footprint <512m

minlearnminlearn Member
edited April 2023 in Tutorials

demo:

(this is a demo installed onto a 2g vps, it utilizes only 300m memory while running a lxc)

how to play:

• install devdeskos : an slimmed down yet an integrated proxmox project fork at github.com/minlearn/onekeydevdesk

(below works under a debian based linux os , you can track the installing process in a novnc view opened at http://yourip80 while it would be happening ):
    wget -qO- 1keydd.com/inst.sh|bash -s - -t devdeskos

scenes may use in:

• in a 512m~1G memory vps, you can install a lnmp in the lxc,as a webapp plane
  • in a 2g vps with kvm nested,you can install a guest qemu desktop os (leave the host 500-800m at the least to avoid swap burst, that is to say,assign 1g-1.2g to the guest)
    (you can also install devdeskosfull, there is a lxc debian desktop)

• for dedicated servers with high amount memory and rapid ssd, just use it in the scenes as freely as one would normally be,such as: in a "all in one" manner.

the tech details:

• the default "multiple cluster and high availability" feature built into pve : that is the corosync service, was hidden, making it a standalone node "pve" in defact.
  • and the "pveproxy,pvedaemon,pvestatd" processes were integrated into a new pvedaemon-mu process as daemon workers
    this dramatically reduces as much as 50% off memory usage compared with an freshly setup proxmox which usually takes >600m)

(note: 
    they are not cut off,but instead "was hidden only" and integrated in another manners,
    which means,there is **no any functions loss**,
    and you ** can reactive the hidden corosync** again once you switch to use the cluster functions )

enjoy yourself and dont forget to star this github repo if you would like to:

https://github.com/minlearn/onekeydevdesk

Comments

• Besides having the node for quorum (which functionality was "hidden"), what would be the case to do this?
    Running docker + launching whatever image you need would be pretty much the same without this much overhead no?
    Can always also run KASM on a larger node with the small ones as workers.

• minlearnminlearn Member
    edited April 2023

@asdatasd said:
    Besides having the node for quorum (which functionality was "hidden"), what would be the case to do this?
    Running docker + launching whatever image you need would be pretty much the same without this much overhead no?

maybe you already have pve installed in a machine
    and being familiar with it and like it

maybe you want to make use of pve cluster and its replica

maybe you just want to keep the host os clean,need a lxc container,and lxc behaviors much more like a "vm" thank docker does

• asdatasdasdatasd Member
    edited April 2023

@minlearn said:

@asdatasd said:
    Besides having the node for quorum (which functionality was "hidden"), what would be the case to do this?

maybe you already have pve installed in a machine
    and being familiar with it and like it

maybe you want to make use of pve cluster and its replica

maybe you just want to keep the host os clean,need a lxc container,and lxc behaviors much more like a "vm" thank docker does

I did not understand what the reason would be though.

If I have a pve installed, I don't need a mini stripped version like this one... The only one I found maybe useful is the consolidated clustering - but if already using clustering and it is production I won't be using a self compiled version by a random author.
    Maybe folks can use this to learn, but I definitely would not run anything that has any importance.

For those that may be interested, LXC does not really behave like a "VM" and not really as a container, there are differences on how the host services are accessed and used, which may cause some issues working with those.

• @minlearn said:

• and the "pveproxy,pvedaemon,pvestatd" processes were integrated into a new pvedaemon-mu process as daemon workers
      this dramatically reduces as much as 50% off memory usage compared with an freshly setup proxmox which usually takes >600m)

This "pvedaemon-mu" seems interesting. But cannot find it from your Github.

Please advise.

Thank you.

• @64383042a said:

@minlearn said:

This "pvedaemon-mu" seems interesting. But cannot find it from your Github.

Please advise.

Thank you.

in https://github.com/minlearn/1keyddhubfree-devdeskos, which is a precompiled dist

edited April 2023

@asdatasd said: mini stripped version

not a mini "stripped" version
    just hidden and can be reactive again
    services integrated into one daemon and multiple daemon workers(3:pvedaemon,pveproxy,pvestatd)

• yanlingyanling Member
    edited April 2023

a idiot from china who attack children by vicious words

shame for you

Thanked by 2mike1s dpt0000
    edited April 2023

@yanling said:
    a idiot from china who attack children by vicious words

shame for you

any moderate or administrator on?

flaged

Thanked by 1ElonBezos
  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited April 2023

@yanling said: a idiot from china >who attack children by vicious words

shame for you

Take it easy fellow, that was uncalled for.

• 64383042a64383042a Member
    edited April 2023

@minlearn said:
    in https://github.com/minlearn/1keyddhubfree-devdeskos, which is a precompiled dist

Binary blob with unknown source? Running on the server OS?

Guess anyone who has a little sense of security would give it a pass.

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • Or, you know, allocate the needed resources instead of fucking around with low memory stuff.

Thanked by 3Erisa cybertech mike1s
  • @64383042a said:

@minlearn said:

Binary blob with unknown source? Running on the server OS?

Guess anyone who has a little sense of security would give it a pass.

will consider opening source the "ci.sh" used in building all the binary blobs
    ( VS already open sourced "inst.sh",it is more bigger and complex )

the code are ugly, so a long way to go before opening in action

• @TimboJones said:
    Or, you know, allocate the needed resources instead of fucking around with low memory stuff.

sometimes, 1g is sufficient for running a whole site and a lnmp stack

pve used as web management plane will be a good idea when you are fimilar with it

• @minlearn said:

@TimboJones said:
    Or, you know, allocate the needed resources instead of fucking around with low memory stuff.

pve used as web management plane will be a good idea when you are fimilar with it

Sometimes, but when dnf and apt don't run properly with a gig or less, it's time to stop fucking around wasting time and overhead. RAM is cheap, it's meant to be used.

edited April 2023

@TimboJones said:

@minlearn said:

@TimboJones said:

Sometimes, but when dnf and apt don't run properly with a gig or less, it's time to stop fucking around wasting time and overhead. RAM is cheap, it's meant to be used.

dont agree with this
    pve setup with small footprint is more lightweight and speedy

note i covered 2 scenes in using devdeskos:

• in a 512m~1G memory vps, you can install a lnmp in the lxc,as a webapp plane
    • in a 2g vps with kvm nested,you can install a guest qemu desktop os

that is to say, VPSes with the lowest and common resource profiles are satisfied,this cant be done with original pve

edited April 2023

today i have added dark theme support for pve as 7.4 (note the upper right eye slash iron button)

some small fixed are on the to-do list though

• I lost brain cells reading this thread. Congratulations.

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • @andrewnyr said:
    I lost brain cells reading this thread. Congratulations.

just try:

wget -qO- 1keydd.com/inst.sh|bash -s - -t devdeskos

Caution
    this wipe your data

edited May 2023

added an extra "clean mode" for pve

a charming idea

you can hold and pull the v split bar between the panels to the left-most, to switch to "clean mode"
    (this will make the upper bar disappear and widen the content panel to make an operational area of much more room)

you can also pull back a little to restore to original view mode

• mike1smike1s Member
    edited May 2023

I just gave some of my VMs an extra 2G of ram just because of this stupidity. RAM is hella cheap, use it. Anyone who cares about security isn't going to run this crap.

@TimboJones said:

This.

• @mike1s said:
    I just gave some of my VMs an extra 2G of ram just because of this stupidity. RAM is hella cheap, use it. Anyone who cares about security isn't going to run this crap.

@TimboJones said:

This.

why not 2g+ for all of you VMs?cause you are poor?

😂😄as stupidity always spend his money on cheap things,as he said

• mike1smike1s Member
    edited May 2023

@minlearn said:

@mike1s said:

@TimboJones said:

This.

Lmao, had a few VMs that were running a bit hot, so added some RAM to them. I've still got ~140GB RAM free in my personal clusters, and about 300GB free at work. RAM is cheap

• @mike1s said:

@minlearn said:

@mike1s said:

@TimboJones said:

This.

Lmao, had a few VMs that were running a bit hot, so added some RAM to them. I've still got ~140GB RAM free in my personal clusters, and about 300GB free at work. RAM is cheap

none of my business
    i dont wanna know those shits

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • yanlingyanling Member
    edited May 2023

@Arkas said:

shame for you

@Arkas said:

shame for you

Wait a minutes, I will translate the meaning of this post for you

• yanlingyanling Member

@Arkas said:

shame for you

Thanked by 1dpt0000
  • yanlingyanling Member
    edited May 2023

@Arkas said:

shame for you

This guy is notorious on our forum,

He was blocked a lot of accounts by the webmaster .

• yanlingyanling Member

@Arkas said:

shame for you

巴勒蒙干 is him

https://hostloc.com/thread-1165588-1-1.html

https://hostloc.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=1165543&pid=14124075

• yanlingyanling Member

@Arkas said:

shame for you

What a vicious person this is,
    who can mock someone's career, income, and sick child

• yanlingyanling Member
    edited May 2023

Gresham's law : "bad money drives out good."

• any moderate or administrator on?

This discussion has been closed.