Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner AX101/AX102 spontaneously reboots - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner AX101/AX102 spontaneously reboots

Comments

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2023

@davide said:
    @Advin
    Hetzner is overpriced for the main reason that they are subject to a German income tax of 45% plus 19% VAT and inane excise duties on electricity...

You absolutely cannot compare Azure and Hetzner. They're very different providers with very different use cases, and Hetzner beats them out in almost every way for most use cases when people need high single threaded performance servers for more than a week, good amount of bandwidth, dedicated NVMe storage, and beats them out completely in terms of price :D

Hetzner is absolutely not overpriced, there is absolutely no other provider that can match their rates, and literally every other provider will tell your that their ROI's are crazy. The reason why they are able to do this is not because they use crap components, but mostly because they order all of this in bulk and at scale. They are one of Europe's biggest providers.

Hetzner uses Samsung or Kioxia enterprise NVMe, DDR4 ECC memory, custom modified versions of ASUS motherboards, and more.

Keep in mind that the specifications of the AX101 are as follows:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
    128GB DDR4 ECC Memory
    2 x 3.84TB Enterprise NVMe
    1 Gbps Unmetered
    Cost? 109 euro per month

Meanwhile, the "other" providers I refer to offer 1/4th the storage, do not use ECC memory, use consumer SSD's, and more. The only "server" grade hardware that most of these Ryzen providers use are generally the motherboard and maybe ECC memory. The motherboards are usually AsRockRack server boards, which are notoriously unreliable.

Your use case may only be to need a server for a week for purely compute, and therefore it'll be cheaper. But, most use cases need a server for more than a week, these rentals are for full months of bare metal servers. Users have full control, full access to the server, and the price is very cheap for what you get.

Good luck finding 5950X, 8TB NVMe, and more at any other provider in the world for under $250/month :D

• We have about 90 AX101 servers and we had 2 of them that hard reset (like someone pulled the power cable) and came back online after 1 minute. Another server "shutdown" and remained powered off. And another server hard restart and Zabbix shows that 1-2 minutes before that happened the CPU temperature suddenly went to 100 Celsius (this was replaced because it happened again few minutes later). The good news is that all these servers use ZFS so no data loss, downtime was minimal and no fsck was needed.

• @davide said:
    Hetzner is overpriced for the main reason that they are subject to a German income tax of 45% plus 19% VAT and inane excise duties on electricity.

https://taxfoundation.org/corporate-tax-rates-europe-2023/ shows that corporate tax in Germany is 29.83%.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited April 2023

@Advin said:
    custom modified versions of ASUS motherboards

Agree that asrock rack is questionable reliability, but asus is no better. I think I’d rather have asrock rack to be honest

Give me a supermicro, intel, dell, hp any day

Motherboard is the one component that is most aids for a provider to cheap out on. As evidenced in this thread there is no simple objective test for instability when it lies with the motherboard

• hostikohostiko Member, Host Rep

With AX101, this happens very, very rarely. But with AX102, it's just terrible - our servers are now rebooting every 4-8 hours. Moreover, recently this happened one after another - the first server has an uptime of 6 hours 20 minutes, the second - 6 hours 34 minutes. It's as if they really lose power due to rack overload.

• rebooting by itself for box in DC is crazy. not acceptable at all. seems like hardware problem, unless you just torture your server(s) yourself somehow.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • davidedavide Member
    edited April 2023

@CyberCr33p said:
    https://taxfoundation.org/corporate-tax-rates-europe-2023/ shows that corporate tax in Germany is 29.83%.

Hu hu hu, you so smart.

Mr. smart, you don't know that no company pays corporate tax. The tax is levied on the personal paychecks.

• emghemgh Member
    edited April 2023

@davide said:
    @Advin
    Hetzner is overpriced for the main reason that they are subject to a German income tax of 45% plus 19% VAT and inane excise duties on electricity. They can only appear to be competitive against international providers by offering "comparable specs", but on fluff consumer hardware that they pay one-fifth of server grade hardware. The result? They crash, and reboot, and SATA hard drives aren't detected, and so on, and it takes days to diagnose and fix problems on consumer hardware. And the 120€ setup fee? Come on. Azure gets even cheaper with pre-paid plans.

Regarding storage and bandwidth you may have a better argument, I haven't considered that, because personally I've only needed cpu-performance, so that's what I look for.

”i’m right-wing and this is the extent as to which hoops my inner mental gymnastic’s team had to go through to be able to argue that a cheap provider is more expensive than an expensive provider to fit my narrative of high taxes bad and also I’ll post this into a thread about rebooting servers because while I’m not getting paid to spread my ideas and while nobody came here to listen to them I’m basically the messenger of god so let’s all just drop the actual topic at hand and praise me for my ideas about taxes thank you”

• @hostiko do you have a solution for the reboots?

@rick2610 said:
    @hostiko do you have a solution for the reboots?

No, a Hetzner product manager contacted me to resolve the issue, and I will try to provide them with instructions on how to reproduce the reboots.

• @hostiko said:

@rick2610 said:
    @hostiko do you have a solution for the reboots?

No, a Hetzner product manager contacted me to resolve the issue, and I will try to provide them with instructions on how to reproduce the reboots.

Thx for the update

• amarcamarc Veteran

Did you bothered to try what helped me ? It would cost you 3 minutes, one reboot and possible success

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2023

@amarc said:
    Did you bothered to try what helped me ? It would cost you 3 minutes, one reboot and possible success

As I see they already replied to you:

@amarc said: What distro/version/kernel are you using ? Did you try anything new like 5.10+ ?

I expect these issues to be present with anything RedHat based or older Debian/Ubuntu with older kernels.

@hostiko said: We use Almalinux 8 and always updating the kernel. Our AX102s are currently running on 6.2.11 and this does not prevent the server from rebooting spontaneously.

• amarcamarc Veteran

@tentor said: As I see they already replied to you:

Does not matter.. he did not do what helped me with same/similar issues on same hardware.

And what does "always updating kernel" even means on RedHat based distro ? 5.10 LTS ?

• @amarc said:
    Does not matter.. he did not do what helped me with same/similar issues on same hardware.

And what does "always updating kernel" even means on RedHat based distro ? 5.10 LTS ?

They said they're using kernel 6.2.11 so they're clearly running mainline with something like kpatch to be "always updating" :)

As for your proposed kernel options, they indeed did not comment on it.

Thanked by 1woteti
  • Hi,

Just bought a AX101 from Hetzner auction. Using Rescue Mode already verified for Samsung NVMe firmware updates and drives are up to date.

Any other firmware or drivers updates should I look/check before setting up this server for Production?

Thanks

• Anyone able to use AX101 to setup say 10 VMs? I heard there was a limit imposed of max 3vm per server?

@WindsOfChange said:
    Anyone able to use AX101 to setup say 10 VMs? I heard there was a limit imposed of max 3vm per server?

Why? We use their servers for our VPS - https://hostiko.com.ua/en/vps

• ralfralf Member

@WindsOfChange said:
    Anyone able to use AX101 to setup say 10 VMs? I heard there was a limit imposed of max 3vm per server?

Limit imposed by what/who?

FWIW I have a smaller Hetzner dedi i9-9900k and I currently have 9 VMs on it. I have an even smaller OVH dedi with 17 VMs on it.

• @WindsOfChange said:

Just curious , how is the limit can imposed ?

• I was told it was something to do with the mac id assignment to IP being controlled by them I think for solusvm or something

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@WindsOfChange said:
    I was told it was something to do with the mac id assignment to IP being controlled by them I think for solusvm or something

Just use routed configuration instead, and you won't need any MAC changes at all. See Proxmox documentation: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#sysadmin_network_routed

• @davide said: Hetzner is overprice...

My man, what the hell are you talking about? Hetzner are literally the cheapest on the market when it comes to raw hardware for the money. It's rare that anyone even comes remotely close.

Your posts reek of some salty competitor who knows they can't compete on price so they just come to forums like this to try and shit on the competition instead.

Just stop.

• davidedavide Member
    edited April 2023

@Enverex

Yo bro, Oracle Cloud (the paid service, not the free tier) offers the same performance per core at about 20% higher price, on DATACENTER SERVER HARDWARE, not consumer PCs. Most of you here don't perceive any distinction in the quality between such classes of hardware, if you consider Hetzner competitive. It's written literally in the topic's title: Hetzner AX101/AX102 spontaneously reboots. How competitive!

To be pedantically explicit, as I know I need to, the phrase "Hetzner is overpriced" means it's overpriced compared to what they offer (consumer junk), not compared to the Martians or the Vegans.

• Does that Oracle Cloud also include unlimited data transfer? And are you sure those cores are about the same performance?

It looks like a hardware fault specifically with the new chassis, not a common theme across all products, I don't know why you're acting like it's the norm.

• davidedavide Member
    edited April 2023

The price table is here if you are interested: https://www.oracle.com/cloud/networking/pricing/ . I see they offer 10TB free per month. How does it compare to Hetzner? Bandwidth and disk speed are two components of the price that I don't consider when evaluating an offer for myself.

• amarcamarc Veteran

@davide said: The price table is here

Can't find it on above link, can you share how much does Oracle charge for 2x3.84TB of enterprise NVMe dedicated (not shared storage) drives with that CPU config you mentioned/used ?

• ralfralf Member

@davide said:
    The price table is here if you are interested: https://www.oracle.com/cloud/networking/pricing/ . I see they offer 10TB free per month. How does it compare to Hetzner?

Hetzner give you unlimited. Even though there are reports that they might opt not to keep you as a customer if you regularly use more than 250TB, by that point it'd have cost you over $2000 per month on your Oracle plan, so it's still more competitive.

Bandwidth and disk speed are two components of the price that I don't consider when evaluating an offer for myself.

Why on earth not when bandwidth costs could easily become the biggest single factor in your Oracle bill?

• @davide said:
    Yo bro, Oracle Cloud (the paid service, not the free tier) offers the same performance per core at about 20% higher price, on DATACENTER SERVER HARDWARE, not consumer PCs.

Which plan is comparable to an AX101/102 for only 20% more? I don't care about the bandwidth part like these other guys but I'd be genuinely interested in if this part for the hardware is true, if so maybe I'll use them.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2023

@davide said:
    The price table is here if you are interested: https://www.oracle.com/cloud/networking/pricing/ . I see they offer 10TB free per month. How does it compare to Hetzner? Bandwidth and disk speed are two components of the price that I don't consider when evaluating an offer for myself.

Assume that you ignore the disk and network, where do you even find Oracle plans that have the same performance per core?

To my knowledge, the 7950X3D is the single highest performing CPU in the market in terms of single core CPU results, there's no server CPU's out yet that can match it, and Oracle only has older EPYC's, ARM, or older Intel CPU's which score around half (or below) the single core result of the 7950X, as they are still on older platforms without DDR5. Oracle Cloud has no products that have the same performance per core as the 7950X, and neither does any other cloud. That is why most people are buying 7950X servers, because it's the fastest CPU in single core results in the market.

Assuming that I want 16 cores/32 threads of their "AMD" lineup, which will score about half of the 7950X, with 128GB of RAM and about 1TB of storage, the cost is around $500/month. That seems like a lot more than 20% for almost 50% reduction in the performance and 1/4th of the storage, for performance that isn't even guaranteed on a virtualized VPS, not even bare metal, with almost 30x less bandwidth.

Even if I set the minimum amount of RAM and disk, which is 16GB RAM and 200GB of free disk, the cost still comes to about $305/month.

Thanked by 1emgh