Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Case study of my RAM issue and suggest me alternative of PostmarketOS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Case study of my RAM issue and suggest me alternative of PostmarketOS?

BoogeymanBoogeyman Member
edited April 2023 in General

Previously I posted this and it was bit of stupidity on my part.

So I started digging and not that much surprise Keycloak written in Java is taking most of the memory when I have 0 MAU(including me). My poor server running Java all day long! I am in the process of rewriting basic features(oauth2) for me in go with the same model from Keycloak.

Then I looked at my Phone(Android) and sighed a bit and started looking to replace with something that is not so memory hungry so I found PostmarketOS and sadly there is no ports available for my phone so I will have to port it. I am looking for other alternatives to that is not AOSP fork AKA pure linux/some other kernel based.

As LET have enthusiasts here I would like to draw their attention. Do you know any alternative for PostmarketOS that is not fork of AOSP(e.g LinageOS) ?

Fun fact: At one moment I thought about creating chaos and enrage Rust community so they start making Android alternative in Rust.

Comments

• Have only used Lineageos (previously called Cyanogenmod) in the past. Won't get anything better than that. Everything else is very half baked/unreliable for daily use.

• BoogeymanBoogeyman Member
    edited April 2023

@varwww said: Have only used Lineageos (previously called Cyanogenmod) in the past. Won't get anything better than that. Everything else is very half baked/unreliable for daily use.

I want minimum RAM/CPU usage so anything from AOSP fork won't work. Android is heavy for JAVA based implementation. Although Google did much work on their custom Dalvik VM still it's Java. In comparison Apple have much less memory usage.

• I guess you should post what your device currently is (unless it's in the other thread, haven't checked) because more often than not, any alternative projects are driven by the devices that they already have (or targeted in mind) rather than being a general alternative of sorts. For which, good luck finding a port of any decent condition for any device.

Sailfish? Ubuntu Touch? That failed precursor to KaiOS, the Firefox OS phone (if even possible)?

• I almost 2 years using linux phones (pmOS SXMO), here my though about it.

• Ubuntu touch have best experience so far and easier porting thanks to project halium. You can grab Pixel 3a which have 100% cover feature. Hope they not drop Unity 8 pretty soon. :#
    • PostmarketOS, Unlike halium, pmOS using pure Linux Kernel and based on Alpine Linux which you have choice of window manager. but other-side, devices list is still far than UT, and your probably banging your head to wall trying porting device. They have active good community and documentation how do X/Y/Z. Until this time, all main devices on pmOS still lacks of camera including my daily driver Redmi 2 (I looking at you ov8865).

Is it good? No, unless using as secondary phone or need something to tinkering.