Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lowend providers reducing RAM to oversell?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lowend providers reducing RAM to oversell?

BoogeymanBoogeyman Member
edited April 2023 in General

So, this thread shouldn't come as surprise because these are lowend providers. But do you deem reducing advertised RAM silently later ethical?

Toady I discovered all 3 of my lowend providers silently reduced my 950+ MB(1GB) RAM to 750+ MB machine. While one of these providers provisioned as 750+ for the first time I didn't bother but now I am not idling that machine anymore. And I found out other two provider silently reduced the RAM. Do you deem this ethical?

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax

Comments

• dosaidosai Member

Who are they?

• BoogeymanBoogeyman Member
    edited April 2023

Cloudcone, Racknerd, Dedipath. Btw I created a ticket with all of them for response and waiting. I probably should've opened this thread later from their "actual" response.

• dosaidosai Member

@Boogeyman said:
    Cloudcone, Racknerd, Dedipath. Btw I created a ticket with all of them for response and waiting. I probably should've opened this thread later from their "actual" response.

Post result of free -h on all 3.

• @dosai said: Post result of free -h on all 3.

I understand drama threads can't continue without proofs. So, here you go.

https://ibb.co/hVX9ZRt (Dedipath)
    https://ibb.co/8DJmg50 (Racknerd)
    https://ibb.co/qpsxH0Y (Cloudcone)

• emghemgh Member

Inb4 everyone just realises their ideling 64 GB Ryzen dedis are 512 MB 10 GB HDD VPS servers hosted at @FlorinMarian apartment.

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited April 2023

@Boogeyman said: I understand drama threads can't continue without proofs. So, here you go.

How come they are the same size 764MB...? Hmmm...

• @febryanvaldo said: How come they are the same size 764MB...? Hmmm...

Because they all started their life as 1GB machine. It happens with age(no pun intended).

• ralfralf Member
    edited April 2023

@emgh said:
    Inb4 everyone just realises their ideling 64 GB Ryzen dedis are 512 MB 10 GB HDD VPS servers hosted at @FlorinMarian apartment.

All on a single Atom N2800 with a faked CPUID.

• ralfralf Member
    edited April 2023

@Boogeyman said:

@dosai said: Post result of free -h on all 3.

To be honest, this look about normal by the time the memory used by the kernel is subtracted. Are you sure you haven't recently updated the kernel and it now includes more bloat? I'd lean to this even more as you claim all 3 providers have gone from 1GB to 764MB.

FWIW using free-h on my 32GB dedi gives 31.3GB and on my 128GB dedi it gives 125GB, so I wouldn't especially trust it as the basis for your evidence. Looking at MemTotal in /proc/meminfo would be more useful, but even that will be lower than the memory your VPS has allocated to it.

Actually, I just checked on my racknerd VPS (and some of my own VMs) and you can do dmidecode -t memory |less and mine says 1024MB.

Thanked by 1Boogeyman
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited April 2023

@Boogeyman said:

@dosai said: Post result of free -h on all 3.

Is this RHEL-based OS (Alma, Rocky, CentOS)?

Thanked by 2Boogeyman noisycode
  • emghemgh Member
    edited April 2023

@ralf said:

@emgh said:

All on a single Atom N2800 with a faked CPUID.

30-50 % wouldn’t notice if it changed after a month

At least if it was changed to like an older i3

• Are you sure it isn't your OS that has reserved the missing memory for the kernel and drivers?

What does the following return?

dmidecode -t memory

Thanked by 1Boogeyman
  • @AXYZE said: Is this RHEL-based OS (Alma, Rocky, CentOS)?

Yes. Is this a RHEL issue?

@kasodk said:
    Are you sure it isn't your OS that has reserved the missing memory for the kernel and drivers?

What does the following return?

dmidecode -t memory

Looks like I should've checked this beforehand.

• HxxxHxxx Member

I want my minute back.

• @Hxxx said: I want my minute back.

Sorry this drama thread can't continue anymore.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • budi1413budi1413 Member
    edited April 2023

someone download your ram?

Thanked by 2let_rocks fadedmaple
  • MMzFMMzF Member

@budi1413 said:
    someone download your ram?

most probably lmao

• cyberpunkcyberpunk Member
    edited April 2023

Most likely their template has kdump enabled and it reserves a portion of RAM.

Here is random guide from Google on how to disable it.

• ErisaErisa Member

@cyberpunk said:
    Most likely their template has kdump enabled and it reserves a portion of RAM.

Here is random guide from Google on how to disable it.

Bingo. My thoughts exactly.

Not the first time this came up on LET, see for example here https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3465609/#Comment_3465609

OP, try above guide or different distro and see what happens.

Thanked by 1Boogeyman
  • @budi1413 said: someone download your ram?

I am requesting you to take down that bad art by @SirFoxy colored by me. I feel ashamed of that art.

While I closed two tickets from two providers I forgot to close the Racknerd one and this is what happened. :D

Thanked by 1kasodk
  • @Boogeyman said:

@budi1413 said: someone download your ram?

I am requesting you to take down that bad art by @SirFoxy colored by me. I feel ashamed of that art.

While I closed two tickets from two providers I forgot to close the Racknerd one and this is what happened. :D

Half of LET's users are now going to create RackNerd support tickets to get free extra memory. :D

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@Boogeyman said:

is your account name literally "Boogeyman" on RN? :thinking:

Thanked by 1sh97
  • @Boogeyman said:

I'm dying. I completely forgot about this and see 3 notifications as I'm smoking my morning sativa joint and drinking my morning coffee and look to see what it's all about, and it's this:

RIP @Nekki

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host
    edited April 2023

Hi @Boogeyman -- Thanks for trusting us with your business, I know that we were mentioned so I figured I'd stop by here and leave some feedback. I see that you worked closely with Sreejit on this, which happens to be a very good technician of ours by the way, and while this particular ticket was handled improperly, I know what he did was with good intentions and not something that should have been done. We always try to help our customers out in the best manner possible, but allocating extra RAM here to resolve the ticket was certainly technician error and is not something that we typically do. We've worked closely with the technician to ensure this does not happen again and that more education is in place. So for that, I sincerely apologize that it wasn't communicated in a way that you could have understood it better, he should have instead educated you about how the running Linux kernel does reserve some RAM, in addition to kdump.

Overall, I'm glad to hear that everything is resolved at this point and that you're happy. No additional billing will be applied for the extra RAM upgrade, as I know that you did not even request it, and to keep things easier, we will not alter or go back on what we've allocated. If you have any additional concerns, or if you have any feedback with regards to our services, feel free to reach out at any time. Here's my email: [email protected]

• emghemgh Member

@dustinc said:
    Hi @Boogeyman -- Thanks for trusting us with your business, I know that we were mentioned so I figured I'd stop by here and leave some feedback. I see that you worked closely with Sreejit on this, which happens to be a very good technician of ours by the way, and while this particular ticket was handled improperly, I know what he did was with good intentions and not something that should have been done. We always try to help our customers out in the best manner possible, but allocating extra RAM here to resolve the ticket was certainly technician error and is not something that we typically do. We've worked closely with the technician to ensure this does not happen again and that more education is in place. So for that, I sincerely apologize that it wasn't communicated in a way that you could have understood it better, he should have instead educated you about how the running Linux kernel does reserve some RAM, in addition to kdump.

Overall, I'm glad to hear that everything is resolved at this point and that you're happy. No additional billing will be applied for the extra RAM upgrade, as I know that you did not even request it, and to keep things easier, we will not alter or go back on what we've allocated. If you have any additional concerns, or if you have any feedback with regards to our services, feel free to reach out at any time. Here's my email: [email protected]

”We’ve worked closely with the technician” = I told him on Slack

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@emgh said:

@dustinc said:

Sounds about right

Thanked by 1emgh
  • denellumdenellum Member, Host Rep

@dustinc said:

Thank you Dustin for the information. Clear and to the point. Also good guy for keeping the upgrade in place. Wouldn't expect any less from ya :)

• @emgh said:

@dustinc said:

I have no problem with Dustin and my experience with him has been nothing but positive, but man does he speak sell! If powerpoint slides at a salesman conference could talk, that is exactly how they would talk! :lol:
    I cant help but wonder if he actually talks like that or if he can turn it off and speak normal. :smile:

Thanked by 2emgh Calin
  • emghemgh Member
    edited April 2023

@rcy026 said:

@emgh said:

@dustinc said:

I have no problem with Dustin and my experience with him has been nothing but positive, but man does he speak sell! If powerpoint slides at a salesman conference could talk, that is exactly how they would talk! :lol:
    I cant help but wonder if he actually talks like that or if he can turn it off and speak normal. :smile:

The Slack chat with the tech just before that message:
    Bro ik it’s a sad fucking monday but give away one more mb of ram and you’ll get no cake

Thanked by 2rcy026 Void
  • @rcy026 said:

@emgh said:

@dustinc said:

He turns it off sometimes to shitpost, it makes me like the guy more when he does.