Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much you paying for email hosting - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much you paying for email hosting

Comments

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2023

I forget.

What we pay @jar for MXRoute and I've got some stuff with ProtonMail, too.

Oh yeah, MailBaby, but that's just a couple dollars a month for our volume.

• @emgh said:

@Mumbly said:

@Erisa said: Least its just your logs, and not the actual mail.

It can be also mail if .gov request is legit according to the law. From mailbox.org:

Data that authorities may be interested in

Contact data: This includes the name, address and phone number of the account holder, as well as details about their contract with us.
    E-mail data: Access to all e-mails currently held in an account's mailbox.
    Traffic data: The IP addresses associated with mail server logins when fetching, reading, or sending e-mails.
    Telecommunications interception data: Obtained through the permanent surveillance of all ongoing e-mail communication of an account.

But like said my mail provider may not be able to protect me against legit .de gov request and in case of criminal activities I don't even expect that, but they may protect me at least against my .si employer civil case request (~as example).
    But then again, there are other tools for enhanced privacy protection with those providers as example:

Then the interesting question really is; is what you’re paying actually protecting you more? How easily compelled are Google, Microsoft and other large companies to give user details to ”randoms” without legal ground?

It’s not a retorical question, I really don’t know.

In the case of Microsoft at least, they have form in fighting the US government over their right to access emails for customers in other countries rather than just rolling over and giving in. I suspect its more to do with needing to stay on the right side of the EU as well but they did take things as far as they could.

https://blogs.microsoft.com/datalaw/initiative/legal-cases/microsofts-search-warrant-case/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Corp._v._United_States

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@Envida said:

@emgh said:

@Mumbly said:

It can be also mail if .gov request is legit according to the law. From mailbox.org:

Contact data: This includes the name, address and phone number of the account holder, as well as details about their contract with us.
    Traffic data: The IP addresses associated with mail server logins when fetching, reading, or sending e-mails.
    Telecommunications interception data: Obtained through the permanent surveillance of all ongoing e-mail communication of an account.

But like said my mail provider may not be able to protect me against legit .de gov request and in case of criminal activities I don't even expect that, but they may protect me at least against my .si employer civil case request (~as example).
    But then again, there are other tools for enhanced privacy protection with those providers as example:

Then the interesting question really is; is what you’re paying actually protecting you more? How easily compelled are Google, Microsoft and other large companies to give user details to ”randoms” without legal ground?

In the case of Microsoft at least, they have form in fighting the US government over their right to access emails for customers in other countries rather than just rolling over and giving in. I suspect its more to do with needing to stay on the right side of the EU as well but they did take things as far as they could.

https://blogs.microsoft.com/datalaw/initiative/legal-cases/microsofts-search-warrant-case/

Microsoft the real off shore g

• emghemgh Member

@Envida said:

@emgh said:

@Mumbly said:

Also keeping good ties with the EU isn’t all there is to it

Not having to give up information to the US was and is one of their primary counter arguments when politicians ask how secure their cloud is in the context of digitalization

They are trying to (and are succeeding it seems) to host infrastructure for induvidual EU countries governments

One of their primary focus areas in Azure I’d say

The level as to who and when they have to give access to data greatly affects if foreign countries can, according to local laws, use their services for sensitive information

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited April 2023

Anyway @emgh , now's the right time to jump on proper long term mail solution like mailbox.org with all those candies you never knew you need them but you will once you try them :p
    There's 30-days free of charge trial (with some limitations).
    Damn, I really like their disposable addresses funtionality, OTP, etherpad, scheduling, small encrypted drive (I use it as gateway to all my nextcloud storages), tasks, the way how main sender address work with all aliases/addon domains ... and so on.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited April 2023

@Mumbly said:
    Anyway @emgh , now's the right time to jump on proper long term mail solutions like mailbox.org with all those candies you never knew you need them but you will once you try them :p
    There's 30-days free of charge trial (with some limitations).
    Damn, I really like their disposable addresses funtionality, etherpad, scheduling, small encrypted drive (I use it as gateway to all my nextcloud storages), tasks, the way how main sender address work with all aliases/addon domains ... and so on.

Sir I already pay for iCloud and get temprary emails automatically generated from my iPhone through my iCloud while listening to music on Apple Music through either my Airpods Pro or my Airpods Max paying for student coffee with my Apple Pay compatible card (actually have no clue about the pin since I only use Apple Pay, but I have it saved).

I’m fucking trapped.

I could never get out.

Edit: When studying I use my iPad and Apple Pencil. Imagine the worst case of being corporately trapped and I’m worse.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • Google Workspace Starter (No-cost Plan) -FREE

• Simplelogin - $30/yr

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Self-hosting since 2002, never on a VPS but on hardware I control.
    Funny thing, for my primary domain since 2002, I never had any deliverability issues.
    For more recent domains hosted on the same server/IP, I'm using SES which is pretty much always under $0.01/month which means it's free.
    So $0.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

Google Workspace $6/mo/user

• Google Workspace (Free)
    Microsoft 365 (Developer - Also Free)

• GMail hosted grandfather = 0$
    MXRoute = 15$/y

• nick_nick_ Member

@misaka said:

@nick_ said:
    Fastmail ($84/3years)
    MXroute ($15/year)
    Purelymail ($10/year)

Hi, I wanna give fastmail a try, but I can not find enough renew pricing info at their site. So there is a muti-year renew discount, right?

Yes, the longer the term, the slightly cheaper it is. Their billing system is very flexible btw. You can top up money to your account, and you can immediately apply it to your existing plan. It will calculate and add more length to your plan. For example, topping up $10 will add 3 more months and XX days to the basic plan.

Thanked by 1misaka
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

0$ p/m Thanks @seriesn !

• emghemgh Member

@skorupion said:
    0$ p/m Thanks @seriesn !

He’s AFK, currently grabbing a sandwich but got stuck in the fridge and haven’t found help in over a year now.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@emgh said:

@skorupion said:
    0$ p/m Thanks @seriesn !

He’s AFK, currently grabbing a sandwich but got stuck in the fridge and haven’t found help in over a year now.

Well it's saving me 6 eur per year so he can continioue being AFK

Thanked by 1emgh
  • DevilDevil Member

@treesmokah said:
    1 eur, tutanota.com
    not perfect by any means, but comfy enough for my use.
    can be bought for XMR/BTC on https://digitalgoods.proxysto.re/en

Problem with Tutanota is not only that they do not support IMAP/POP "at all" but that they do not offer a lot of other indispensable features as well in today's time.

One example -- I don't know how their catch-all works on a domain you setup with them but sending from any of those catch all email addresses definitely is not supported. This is a must have for me, and a I assume for a lot. In fact the use of catch-all from the perspective privacy and spam protection point of view is irrelevant if mail provider doesn't support email sending from those email addresses. Also, Tutanota is not less opinionated than Mailbox. Something as critical as Mail I would rather have it with professionals than with ideologues who usually think "my way or the highway".

• tmepytmepy Member

@fazar said:
    For my personal email $0 (I am using grandfathered Outlook custom domain)

Wasn't it with the family plan of Microsoft 365 or are you talking about something else?

• tmepytmepy Member

I use gmail, outlook and for my custom domain email I buy Microsoft 365 Business basic for ~20$ a year as it gives me 1TB storage as well.

• @sh97 said:
    Mxroute from reseller - $3.6/yr, 4GB
    Gmail, outlook - free

Hi,can you share the reseller ?
    I also want to buy this($3.6/yr, 4GB)

• sh97sh97 Member

@tanglu said:

@sh97 said:
    Gmail, outlook - free

It was BF22 flash sale from Webhorizon

• fazarfazar Member

@tmepy said:

@fazar said:
    For my personal email $0 (I am using grandfathered Outlook custom domain)

Wasn't it with the family plan of Microsoft 365 or are you talking about something else?

They offering free email plan with custom/owned domain at the past. This plan exist till today, but you cannot longer add new email addresses under your domain.

• @tanglu said:

@sh97 said:
    Gmail, outlook - free

It's gone but you can get the spring offer directly.

@Abd said: 70% Off - Email - 4 GB - $3.6 / YEAR

@jar said: We're offering a Spring promo:
    25GB Storage
    Unlimited Domains
    Unlimited Email Accounts
    $15/year

• Use my own vps running email service more than 10 years,it is so easy to run your own mailserver,as long as you are not spammer,most of case it will be no problem.

• mailbox.com

From their website

No, sorry.

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • @treesmokah said: tutanota.com

How is it compared to protonmail?

• LittleCreek vps + mailbaby

• @treesmokah said:
    1 eur, tutanota.com
    not perfect by any means, but comfy enough for my use.
    can be bought for XMR/BTC on https://digitalgoods.proxysto.re/en

do the offer pop/smtp?

• hyperblasthyperblast Member
    edited April 2023

@nick_ said:
    Fastmail ($84/3years)
    MXroute ($15/year)

> Purelymail ($10/year)

same.
    +posteo 1€/m

Thanked by 1nick_
  • hyperblasthyperblast Member
    edited April 2023

@emgh said:

@treesmokah said:

@Mumbly said:
    mailbox.org 30eur/y

I am willing to compromise with budget vpses, but not with my main mail provider. Stable, security oriented long term solution here is important to me.

there was a drama regarding them. im trying to remember what it was, but in my conclusion - i have decided to never use their services.

Main page says privacy made in germany

Germany can produce a lot, cars, razors, black metal, real-nazis and much more

Privacy however isn’t one of them

Thanked by 1emgh