Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What uptime monitoring service do you use? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What uptime monitoring service do you use?

Comments

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

NodePing, albeit it's a bit prone to false alerts. But price (atleast at the time) matched with feature set and ease of use.

Never self host stuff like this, how can it monitor itself? How does it send alerts if the monitoring itself is down?

Further on case of NodePing, they offer a lot of locations etc. so it is infact orders of magnitude lower cost as well, instead of first coding it all yourself AND then maintaining a few dozen nodes in separate places and hosts. Just the accounting costs alone would be more than what nodeping costs :)

We also have internal monitoring tools for things for which nothing premade actually exists, but those are also tied to nodeping for actual final monitoring + alerts.

Ofc, as a provider our needs are different than average user here.

Thanked by 1harrison
  • AWITMAWITM Member

BetterUptime. Bought it with a LTD deal.

• TrKTrK Member

Uptime kuma all the way.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Uptime kuma running on Oracle free tier. And then monitoring that one with different providers like Hetrix.
    For Nordic users there's also https://inleed.io/

Thanked by 2emgh kepler
  • 2 uptimekuma vps on 2 Different Proxmox servers.
    They monitor each other too, lol

• tjntjn Member

Small hijack:
    Those running Zabbix or CheckMK (or anything else that is selfhosted), is there a way to geographically distribute your monitoring infrastructure - eg, check from both the US and EU, without having 2 seperate installations?

I know that CheckMK has Distributed Monitors, but they're not quite the same thing.

Uptime Kuma has an open issue for this here.

• Love Uptime Kuma, it is really underrated and they deserve more love :) Lovely UI too

Thanked by 1tommymuadai
  • @harrison said:
    To monitor the ping, heartbeat and uptime of your servers, services and websites, what solution do you use?

i use my hand which has 10 fingers
    and ping

• lorianlorian Member
    edited March 2023

@tjn said:
    Those running Zabbix or CheckMK (or anything else that is selfhosted), is there a way to geographically distribute your monitoring infrastructure - eg, check from both the US and EU, without having 2 seperate installations?

Not really, but you could install additional Zabbix proxies at each location and then add the host multiple times (only external checks, without agent) with different proxies. Zabbix itself, however, can be installed in an active-passive HA cluster: https://www.zabbix.com/documentation/current/en/manual/concepts/server/ha

@PulsedMedia said:
    Never self host stuff like this, how can it monitor itself? How does it send alerts if the monitoring itself is down?

I have my main zabbix server running at an external HA VPS provider monitored via HetrixTools. Then, I have zabbix proxies running at each site/location, monitored via the main Zabbix Server and HetrixTools. These proxies again are monitoring the local VPS/systems.
    To have a reference for e.g. packetloss, some servers are monitored via a proxy at Oracle Cloud, too.
    Last, some critical stuff, like hypervisors are additionally monitored via HetrixTools.
    But, to be honest, this is just a hobby.

• VoidVoid Member

@Otus9051 said:

@harrison said:
    To monitor the ping, heartbeat and uptime of your servers, services and websites, what solution do you use?

i use my hand which has 10 fingers
    and ping

Those are free so I believe you.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Upptime on GitHub actions is clever, but yeh, I love Uptime Kuma, but Uptime robot has such a useful free tier that I really don't need anything else.

Thanked by 1tommymuadai
  • emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

Hetrix!

Extremely easy to use, free for my usage and open-source agent.

I don’t need nor want anything more advanced.

Thanked by 1tommymuadai
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

We were using Nixstats for years but recently moved to Hetrix Tools. @Andreix runs a tight ship. We love it.

• emghemgh Member

@jmaxwell said: Those are free so I believe you.

Imagine @Otus9051 said he uses like Pingdom or something.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

I just log into all my servers every half hour-hour and hope it connects

Thanked by 2v3ng nick_
  • ntlxntlx Member

Hetrix is the best, weird to not see them on this poll. Been using HetrixTools for a few years and they are one of those companies/services that I would never switch from, as long as they are around I will keep using them.

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2023

@MikePT said:
    We were using Nixstats for years but recently moved to Hetrix Tools. @Andreix runs a tight ship. We love it.

It's not mine. HetRIX is not HetNIX. When it originally started, HETNIX was the acronym for Hybrid Enterprise Tools for *NIX, which offered some hardware/software (since the hybrid) solutions for unix-based systems.
    Later on, we switched to offering web and domain hosting, then extended to virtual/dedicated and added datacenter services as well. :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @emgh said:

i like femdom

• VoidVoid Member

@Otus9051 said:

@emgh said:

i like femdom

How come? There is no “free” in that.

• tjntjn Member
    edited March 2023

The only thing missing on Hetrix is a default notification "profile".
    Everytime I set up a new server, I need to configure the notifcations thresholds for each resource (RAM, HDD, CPU, etc...) - it'd be nicer if they just came enabled out of the box.

You can mass edit and enable them, it's just a bit cumbersome.

Other than that, it's great.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Andreix said:

@MikePT said:

It's not mine. HetRIX is not HetNIX. When it originally started, HETNIX was the acronym for Hybrid Enterprise Tools for *NIX, which offered some hardware/software (since the hybrid) solutions for unix-based systems.
    Later on, we switched to offering web and domain hosting, then extended to virtual/dedicated and added datacenter services as well. :)

My apologies, wrong flag!!! :(

• Hetrix free is good enough for me

• I love Zabbix, but considering a move to Prometheus

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2023

@RemarkableGuille said:
    I love Zabbix, but considering a move to Prometheus

I have previously used it and can really suggest migration to the Prometheus - it performs much better. The only problem with it - there are no embedded rules, you have to search them or write on your own

Thanked by 1RemarkableGuille
  • kuma and hetrix all the way.

• @tomle said:
    Uptime kuma running on Oracle free tier. And then monitoring that one with different providers like Hetrix.

Do you find sometimes random drops of all traffic reporting all nodes down?

• https://updown.io/ for normal uptime checking, and https://healthchecks.io/ for cron jobs.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

@asdatasd said:

@tomle said:

No hasn't happened so far. The A1 in FRA is really good.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Hetrixtools

• @tomle said:

@asdatasd said:

@tomle said:

No hasn't happened so far. The A1 in FRA is really good.

Thanks, might be some VPC misconfiguration on my part.