Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strange! Why is Hetzner cloud much more expensive than Hetzner dedi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Strange! Why is Hetzner cloud much more expensive than Hetzner dedi?

Comments

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

I guess as the Cloud line is easier to manage and has a lot of built-in functionality (load balancing, hourly billing, snapshots, volumes, networks etc) compared to a dedi which you would have to set up this type of functionality yourself.

• They have better hardware, better networks, better services, better functions in cloud. Hetzner root server is basically a unmanaged dedicated server, it doesn't cost them much to maintain. In their cloud nodes, they have much better hardware and they maintain them so it costs them quite a more.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited March 2023

Its the case with every single provider.

With dedi provider just rents it for month or more.
    With Cloud VPS provider needs to manage infrastructure, provide more tools, a lot more support tickets per physical machine, hourly billing, monitor it...

On top of that he gets less money per client (cause usually people get ~$5 VPSes), but still need to respond to tickets just as quick, so support cost is a lot higher percentage of payment. There can be also some fixed per-customer fees that cannot be absorbed in price of cheap VPS so lowest package is usually not that great value.

Edit: and also, dont know if you guys will agree or not - less paying customers usually make more hassle, sometimes because lack of experience, sometimes becayse they demand too much for pennies. So it doesnt make sense to fight with these people and just get customers that dont need best value/specs on paper OR upsell people to dedis.

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

I wouldn't call it much more expensive. CPX51 is "only" 12 euros more a month or so, but I think the CPU performance is better here than on the dedicated server. You'll also have a 10Gbps connection rather than the 1Gbps on the dedicated server. The cloud server most likely runs RAID10, which ensures better safety against data loss than the RAID configuration you can have on those dedicated servers. It is a much more feature-rich solution as other have pointed out.

The only place that I'd say the cloud server doesn't win is with the RAM amount.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • afnafn Member

Just the Raid, the 10gbps network + snapshots option are enough to justify the +12€ difference imho

• @iKeyZ @titaniumboy @AXYZE @labze @afn
    And it's managed cloud?

• @EthanZou said:
    @iKeyZ @titaniumboy @AXYZE @labze @afn
    And it's managed cloud?

Anybody providing managed cloud at that price?

• @EthanZou said:
    @iKeyZ @titaniumboy @AXYZE @labze @afn
    And it's managed cloud?

No, it's unmanaged cloud. but their nodes are managed by them. They use high quality costly CPUs, RAM, Disk and better bandwidth and connectivity in their nodes from which they provide you Cloud Service, so their cost to maintain infrastructure of the node and the cost of maintain the panel, monitoring, billing gets quite high and that's why they charge more.
    Whereas, in dedicated servers they will just provide you root login details and that is not managed. In dedicated server, by default they provide less uplink and less bandwidth and the configuration you mentioned in the screenshot are cheap CPUs, in cloud they have pricey Intel and AMD EPYC CPUs.

• It is 3 times higher if you compare their dedicated and cloud-dedicated offerings. But TBH is the cheapest among all other providers, and it is worth the money.

You get

1) 10G LAN connection
    2) Placement Groups - to ensure less downtime if you made HA setup for your application
    3) Easy to Scale the nodes up and down
    4) Hourly billing, which you can use only when your app requires
    5) Snapshots and Backup

If you try to do everything I mentioned above in a dedicated server setup, you will end up with similar or more cost with additional headache of managing things on your own.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Build a k8s cluster with dedis and with cloud. Which one is more reliable?

• akhfaakhfa Member

@ericls said:
    Build a k8s cluster with dedis and with cloud. Which one is more reliable?

In my opinion, if you need elasticity (ability to scale up and down), use cloud. Otherwise, if your workload is pretty constant, dedis will provide more raw power

• GhtGht Member

They target Unmanaged services , less workers , less expenses and less competitors thats why they so cheap i have 2 dedis with them i use for gaming i highly recommend them for Network Stability. Uptime 100%

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Because a lot of Hetzner dedis have corners cut on hardware, pieces of those builds are often barely worthy of your home desktop. One of the NVMe disks that failed on me we could only otherwise find in cheap laptops (I forget which model it was). They’re cheap for a reason, it’s not magic.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • The cloud have much more flexibility. The hourly billing, scalability, connectivity, etc.

• High-Availability is what costs in the cloud. Besides those are dedicated vcores range, not the normal range.

Thanked by 1Advin
  • 0xbkt0xbkt Member

Remember: you pay for the abstraction.

• redundancy.

• @titaniumboy said: They use high quality costly CPUs, RAM, Disk and better bandwidth and connectivity in their nodes from which they provide you Cloud Service

That's great!

@imgmoney said: Placement Groups

Sorry but what's that?

@jar said:
    Because a lot of Hetzner dedis have corners cut on hardware, pieces of those builds are often barely worthy of your home desktop. One of the NVMe disks that failed on me we could only otherwise find in cheap laptops (I forget which model it was). They’re cheap for a reason, it’s not magic.

@Hetzner_OL It's true?

@0xbkt said:
    Remember: you pay for the abstraction.

?

@treesmokah said:
    redundancy.

Just like object storage? right?

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2023

@EthanZou said:

@jar said:

@Hetzner_OL It's true?

They do sell dedis with enterprise disks, always get those. Always do backups. It wasn’t until I exceeded $3500/m on their dedis that I started to see the failures. Their cheaper servers are much, much better suited to hobbyists and people who don’t do a lot of read/write in their daily usage.

But yeah, their parts are very often not server grade. A few years ago I openly mocked people who warned me about that, I said server grade was a nice way to mark up prices and sell snake oil. Now I get to eat crow as the theme of this last year has been NVMe failure.

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited March 2023

You start paying more for the same resources as the provider abstracts more of your responsibilities away.

• LeviLevi Member

The thing is simple: cloud is today and tomorrow, dedicated is yesterday. On that alone you can bank at least 15% top on price.

• @EthanZou said:

Well, you need to get at least 2 dedis to have redundancy, plus you need to look at the ones that have ECC. You have to spend time, money, knowledge to setup HA, backups, DDNS to have guaranteed uptime.

With cloud, all of this is taken care of. Plus there will be an actual person for you to shout at instead of the one in the mirror.

• @jar said: Now I get to eat crow as the theme of this last year has been NVMe failure.

Sad to hear that.

@0xbkt said:

You start paying more for the same resources as the provider abstracts more of your responsibilities away.

Get√

@LTniger said: cloud is today and tomorrow

Just likepay as you go?

@hades_corps said:

@EthanZou said:

Well, you need to get at least 2 dedis to have redundancy, plus you need to look at the ones that have ECC. You have to spend time, money, knowledge to setup HA, backups, DDNS to have guaranteed uptime.

With cloud, all of this is taken care of. Plus there will be an actual person for you to shout at instead of the one in the mirror.

That's great!

Thanked by 1jar
  • ralfralf Member

@stefeman said:
    Besides those are dedicated vcores range, not the normal range.

I always wonder about that when looking at the Hetzner cloud offerings. They're about 1/4 the price of dedicated vCores, but don't seem to have a FUP on CPU usage so presumably you can use as much as you can get. And as they're create-on-demand billed by the hour, I would imagine people only spin them up when they're actually needed, so I'd be surprised if people weren't using a lot of CPU on them.

So, the real question is are they actually piling people onto busy nodes or is there are reasonable expectation of decent CPU perf on the shared cores cloud?

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited March 2023

@ralf said:

@stefeman said:

I always wonder about that when looking at the Hetzner cloud offerings. They're about 1/4 the price of dedicated vCores, but don't seem to have a FUP on CPU usage so presumably you can use as much as you can get. And as they're create-on-demand billed by the hour, I would imagine people only spin them up when they're actually needed, so I'd be surprised if people weren't using a lot of CPU on them.

So, the real question is are they actually piling people onto busy nodes or is there are reasonable expectation of decent CPU perf on the shared cores cloud?

They do not limit non-vcore instances even if you abuse it 24/7.

The only difference is, that you have to pay premium if you don't want noisy neighbours.

• @EthanZou said: Sorry but what's that?

It helps you to place your node in different racks or in different place and so you have possibility of having less down time if they have downtime for certain racks or place.

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited March 2023

@ralf said:

@stefeman said:

When I tested, the CPU and network performance varied quite a bit depending which node you get and just over time as well.

On the dedicated cpu instances you pay to get guaranteed CPU with no risk of noisy neighbours, on the shared instances you run the risk of things randomly slowing down because some others need to slam the CPU for a bit. So yeah theres no FUP, its just a shared environment. That's fine for many people, the others who need guarantes pay a premium for the privilege.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Magic Keyword is right in the subject; CLOUD.

Bare Metal and Cloud services have quite a bit of difference in feature sets.

• @imgmoney said:

@EthanZou said: Sorry but what's that?

It helps you to place your node in different racks or in different place and so you have possibility of having less down time if they have downtime for certain racks or place.

Get√, thanks a lot!

@Erisa said:

@ralf said:

@stefeman said:

When I tested, the CPU and network performance varied quite a bit depending which node you get and just over time as well.

On the dedicated cpu instances you pay to get guaranteed CPU with no risk of noisy neighbours, on the shared instances you run the risk of things randomly slowing down because some others need to slam the CPU for a bit. So yeah theres no FUP, its just a shared environment. That's fine for many people, the others who need guarantes pay a premium for the privilege.

I see.