Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH or Netcup for SaaS Production Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH or Netcup for SaaS Production Servers

sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
edited March 2023 in General

Using OVH cloud instance from last one year as our SaaS development and testing servers, never had a downtime (Gravelines DC) and their network performance is also great. Also they have openstack interface with ability to add block volume. My Major concern is 250 -500 mbps connectivity for their lower tiers.
But for production its better to have dedicated resources for our API servers with 1 to 2 gbps. So, thinking of using netcup root servers for production (I don't mind their billing issues as i plan well ahead). it will be great if I get some feedback about netcup for such use cases(SaaS). (Their Uptime, DDoS protection and network). Any thoughts?

Comments

• loayloay Member
    edited March 2023

They have very good performing servers but I would not use them for any production project. Their support is not that good and the root servers performance may vary (check my rs 1000 geekbench results).
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/184475/hetzner-vs-netcup-vs-php-friends-review-and-yabs

I think Hetzner dedicated server is better with 1-10 Gbit/s or if you do not mind using solusVM you can try php-friends and Avoro.

Thanked by 1PHP_Friends
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited March 2023

Personally I think it's kinda crazy that after the year of test/staging period you just want to drop production into totally different provider - I would stick to OVH for now and evaluate (some part of traffic, regional traffic?) other provider(s) rather than going all in balls deep.

I would assume you never had to use OVH support (it's famous) so even the "not that good" quoted above netcup support still should be miles ahead of OVH :D

• @loay said:
    They have very good performing servers but I would not use them for any production project. Their support is not that good and the root servers performance may vary (check my rs 1000 geekbench results).
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/184475/hetzner-vs-netcup-vs-php-friends-review-and-yabs

I think Hetzner dedicated server is better with 1-10 Gbit/s or if you do not mind using solusVM you can try php-friends and Avoro.

I too like hetzner but tried couple of times and rejected. I think it was due to fact that my ID address and CC address don't match (CC address is official and Id address is permanent residential).

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2023

I have had a few OVH VPS's - The most expensive ones and they have been fine for hosting.

I would say that after trying to upgrade the RAM in 1 I have hit a stumbling block with OVH and their support which has left a really sour taste, so I am reviewing moving away. The order seems to be stuck in 'Authorization' but we have been a customer for 3+ Years and did the whole ID at the beginning. I have called them twice, but they don't want to help on the phone, just want to say we will respond on the ticket. Or we need to speak to level 2.

They are saying there is some kind of issue with the payment system, but there is no option there to pay, as it already says that it is paid.

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited March 2023

@JabJab said:
    Personally I think it's kinda crazy that after the year of test/staging period you just want to drop production into totally different provider - I would stick to OVH for now and evaluate (some part of traffic, regional traffic?) other provider(s) rather than going all in balls deep.

I would assume you never had to use OVH support (it's famous) so even the "not that good" quoted above netcup support still should be miles ahead of OVH :D

Yes i agree it seems I'm crazy enough to do this after 1 year of testing.
    I know about OVH support, But i hardly need one unless there is some hardware issues. Last one year i contacted them only for some billing related stuff. I think i should stick with OVH for time being.

• @JamesF said:
    I have had a few OVH VPS's - The most expensive ones and they have been fine for hosting.

I would say that after trying to upgrade the RAM in 1 I have hit a stumbling block with OVH and their support which has left a really sour taste, so I am reviewing moving away. The order seems to be stuck in 'Authorization' but we have been a customer for 3+ Years and did the whole ID at the beginning. I have called them twice, but they don't want to help on the phone, just want to say we will respond on the ticket. Or we need to speak to level 2.

They are saying there is some kind of issue with the payment system, but there is no option there to pay, as it already says that it is paid.

Never used their VPS. I use their cloud instances. Cloud have hourly billing and i can spin up an instance if i need to test something and then convert them into monthly after everything is good. Till now never had an issues with upgrades.

• GhtGht Member

Network Stable & Performance , Hetzner

• @Ght said:
    Network Stable & Performance , Hetzner

Oops but rejected.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited March 2023

Netcup do not provide 100% uptime - on any given day it is around 99.90-99.98% due to huge IO latency spikes that are unheard of on other VPS providers

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3477722#Comment_3477722

The price/performance is great, but you have to put up with a minute of effective downtime a day, and poor realtime performance even by VPS standards

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Hetzner

• @darkimmortal said:
    Netcup do not provide 100% uptime - on any given day it is around 99.90-99.98% due to huge IO latency spikes that are unheard of on any other VPS provider I’ve seen

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3477722#Comment_3477722

The price/performance is great, but you have to put up with a minute of effective downtime a day, and unusually poor realtime performance even by VPS standards

Got it, Ordered a RS1000 yesterday to test. Migrated my Contabo things to Netcup and started monitoring. As you said, network is not that great like OVH.

• @ericls said:
    Hetzner

Unfortunately not able to pass their verification may be due to my address missmatch in my ID card and CC.

• GhtGht Member

@sreekanth850 said:

@ericls said:
    Hetzner

Unfortunately not able to pass their verification may be due to my address missmatch in my ID card and CC.

Just add 20€ Balance with PayPal and ur good to go , try with another account.

• @Ght said:

@sreekanth850 said:

@ericls said:
    Hetzner

Just add 20€ Balance with PayPal and ur good to go , try with another account.

My issue is credit card is issued in my official address and all my ids are in my permanent addres. Paypal also reject due to this. I think they have a problem with Indian banks.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@sreekanth850 said: Ordered a RS1000 yesterday to test.

If Hetzner reject you because of a verification issue, I'm surprised that netcup don't reject you for the same reason

In any case, I also don't really see why you would want to leave OVH and go into the unknown

By the way, plenty of people use netcup for production (but again, why go into the unknown)

• @angstrom said:

@sreekanth850 said: Ordered a RS1000 yesterday to test.

If Hetzner reject you because of a verification issue, I'm surprised that netcup don't reject you for the same reason

In any case, I also don't really see why you would want to leave OVH and go into the unknown

By the way, plenty of people use netcup for production (but again, why go into the unknown)

Netcup only check valid govt id it seems. And hetzner may had cross checked with my cc address. Yes i too was surprised after netcup approved.
    As i stated concernn with OVH is only about the 250mps network. And if i need more speed i need to go with their top tier plans.

• Netcup is recommended. It is very stable in practical use and has never encountered offline situations. Extremely strong performance, cheap price.

• @ptervip said:
    Netcup is recommended. It is very stable in practical use and has never encountered offline situations. Extremely strong performance, cheap price.

Let me check them fot some months and then will decidem otherwise as stated it may not be a good to move from ovh. I had one root server from them for testing.

• If you are willing to pay slightly extra, you could try a Hetzner reseller: https://hostingby.design/dedi-hetz/

• @darthShadow said:
    If you are willing to pay slightly extra, you could try a Hetzner reseller: https://hostingby.design/dedi-hetz/

I was not looking for dedicated box as its much harder to manage. I was keen at their cloud offerings as it gives flexibility, expandable storage, private network etc... but somehow decided to stick with ovh for now.

• Hetzner antiddos is worse compared to ovh from what I've hard and experienced. I bet for production it may be important.

• @dodheimsgard said:
    Hetzner antiddos is worse compared to ovh from what I've hard and experienced. I bet for production it may be important.

yes.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

If it's for productive use, you'll need two servers anyways. Simply place one with OVH and one with Netcup. This way you can also gather your own experience for your specific use case.

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited March 2023

gcore and vultr
    both have free and paid ddos protection, good price:quality and are suitable for prod
    from smaller providers, there is terrahost - they are very nice and have 3 loc - all ddos protected, 95th bandiwdth at reasonable prices.

Thanked by 1terrahost
  • deepsgodeepsgo Member
    edited December 2023

@sreekanth850 said: Let me check them fot some months and then will decidem otherwise as stated it may not be a good to move from ovh. I had one root server from them for testing.

Hey Sreekanth, Any updates on your experience with NetCup? I'm planning to get a RS series VPS for my multi-threading python script.

• @deepsgo said:

@sreekanth850 said: Let me check them fot some months and then will decidem otherwise as stated it may not be a good to move from ovh. I had one root server from them for testing.

Hey Sreekanth, Any updates on your experience with NetCup? I'm planning to get a RS series VPS for my multi-threading python script.

Till now i have no problem with netcup servers. They are pretty solid. I'm using their root servers.

Thanked by 1deepsgo
  • unsafetypinunsafetypin Member
    edited December 2023

I like netcup. They also have outstanding support. Though, I use Hetzner cloud for most of my production stuff.

• @sreekanth850 said:
    Using OVH cloud instance from last one year as our SaaS development and testing servers, never had a downtime (Gravelines DC) and their network performance is also great. Also they have openstack interface with ability to add block volume. My Major concern is 250 -500 mbps connectivity for their lower tiers.
    But for production its better to have dedicated resources for our API servers with 1 to 2 gbps. So, thinking of using netcup root servers for production (I don't mind their billing issues as i plan well ahead). it will be great if I get some feedback about netcup for such use cases(SaaS). (Their Uptime, DDoS protection and network). Any thoughts?

If you need more network connectivity speed also check out OVH VLE VPS line with AMD EPYC Milan cpus for up to 2Gbps unmetered bandwidth. One of the fastest VPS I've tested for my Centmin Mod LEMP stack testing to date https://community.centminmod.com/threads/ovh-vle-limited-edition-amd-epyc-vps-bang-for-the-buck.24243/

Thanked by 1JamesF
  • @eva2000 said:

@sreekanth850 said:

If you need more network connectivity speed also check out OVH VLE VPS line with AMD EPYC Milan cpus for up to 2Gbps unmetered bandwidth. One of the fastest VPS I've tested for my Centmin Mod LEMP stack testing to date https://community.centminmod.com/threads/ovh-vle-limited-edition-amd-epyc-vps-bang-for-the-buck.24243/

Fastest VM when did you test that and want location I got 2 one in the UK CPU steal hover around 1-2%, and one in germany CPU steal is constantly over 20% .

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Yeah I’m finding CPU steal on the UK VPS servers, I’m not sure I got it on the old Intel ones?

Really debating on a dedicated, but I don’t fancy the hardware maintenance. I like to sleep and busy with other work commitments.