Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

netcup RS1000G9.5 summer offer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

netcup RS1000G9.5 summer offer

I'm not the only one who tried to spot an RS1000 at easter with the above config. A few minutes ago, the summer-end offer started at netcup, and after the previous weaker VPS offer, they reduced the price of their flagship killer root server with double SSD!

Specs:
EPYC7702P 4 Cores, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB SSD

Link:
https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=3085

I use it synce easter with big satisfaction, the only problem was when their Nuremberg route dies, the ping higher because all traffic routed over Vien.

Comments

• dragonfskydragonfsky Member
    edited August 2022

It seems netcup do not have the problem of electric price increase :D

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I have a netcup root server too but will replace it because netcup are painfully ignorant towards even long term clients; not even the slightest minimum of flexibility plus stone-cold bureaucracy and a "kiss my a__" attitude.

Thanks, no.

Thanked by 1Azenot
  • @jsg said: painfully ignorant towards even long term clients; not even the slightest minimum of flexibility plus stone-cold bureaucracy and a "kiss my a__" attitude

Could you please elaborate on this?

root server since years. Called them to arrange a change to a more current version. Clearly told them that I want a similar price but am not trying to push for more resources; no "smart" negotiating, just a reasonable "update".
    They told me that I could change to a newer version by simply buying it and if I wanted a similar price I could "gamble" and try to grab one of their promo servers whenever they come up and are (still) available. And yes, of course, it's my problem when the old and the new servers overlap for some months (i.e. I would basically pay double).
    They clearly were absolutely not willing to even think about rewarding a long-term customer who always paid semi-annually in advance and who never created any trouble or problems whatsoever.

My response to their clear "we don't give a flying f_ck about customer loyalty and lack of trouble" obviously is to leave netcup. Simple rule: a provider who doesn't give a f_ck about customer loyalty is a provider to avoid.

Like others I never was happy about their merciless bureaucracy but that extremely poor experience finally killed any leniency I still had.

TL;DR Either you say "f_ck netcup" -or- they f_ck you. Simple as that.

• @jsg said:
    root server since years. Called them to arrange a change to a more current version. Clearly told them that I want a similar price but am not trying to push for more resources; no "smart" negotiating, just a reasonable "update".
    They told me that I could change to a newer version by simply buying it and if I wanted a similar price I could "gamble" and try to grab one of their promo servers whenever they come up and are (still) available. And yes, of course, it's my problem when the old and the new servers overlap for some months (i.e. I would basically pay double).
    They clearly were absolutely not willing to even think about rewarding a long-term customer who always paid semi-annually in advance and who never created any trouble or problems whatsoever.

My response to their clear "we don't give a flying f_ck about customer loyalty and lack of trouble" obviously is to leave netcup. Simple rule: a provider who doesn't give a f_ck about customer loyalty is a provider to avoid.

Like others I never was happy about their merciless bureaucracy but that extremely poor experience finally killed any leniency I still had.

TL;DR Either you say "f_ck netcup" -or- they f_ck you. Simple as that.

Never occurred to me that this is something you could ask for at any provider, loyalty or not. Surely for most the business model is to make it intentionally difficult (manual transfer, maybe IP change) to upgrade across generations?

@darkimmortal said:
    Never occurred to me that this is something you could ask for at any provider, loyalty or not. Surely for most the business model is to make it intentionally difficult (manual transfer, maybe IP change) to upgrade across generations?

In fact I've changed or upgraded already multiple times with diverse providers and so far - except for netcup - always politely found and agreed upon a mutually acceptable way; some even explicitly said that they were happy to accommodate a loyal trouble-free long-term customer.

• Already sold. Dammit

• AzenotAzenot Member
    edited August 2022

Netcup was only one provider out of many, who denied my registration after documents verification without any reasons (it was 5 years ago, but anyway). Can't recommend this bureaucracy machine.

• bureaucracy at its worst is also what makes germany worse and more attached!

• @jsg said:
    In fact I've changed or upgraded already multiple times with diverse providers and so far - except for netcup - always politely found and agreed upon a mutually acceptable way; some even explicitly said that they were happy to accommodate a loyal trouble-free long-term customer.

Maybe to netcup you're not trouble-free. :)

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • Great price. Been using them for several years, have a RS4000 and it performs flawlessly. Perfect uptime. Currently 175 days and this was after a previous 300+ day record that I lost because I had to reboot to get a newer KVM version. They're a no brainer for the price, literally performs like a dedi for me.

Thanked by 2adns PearlMoon

@mosquitoguy said:

@jsg said:

Maybe to netcup you're not trouble-free. :)

BS. I definitely were.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited August 2022

@hacktek said:
    Great price. Been using them for several years, have a RS4000 and it performs flawlessly. Perfect uptime. Currently 175 days and this was after a previous 300+ day record that I lost because I had to reboot to get a newer KVM version. They're a no brainer for the price, literally performs like a dedi for me.

Sadly not perfect uptime for me on 2/2 instances so relegated them to backup servers. It’s good enough to appear as 100% uptime to a monitor, but it is inaccessible up to twice a day for several seconds. This is still happening now over 12 months later so there is some infrastructure issue

Thanked by 1Tim_kwakman
  • @darkimmortal said:

@hacktek said:
    Great price. Been using them for several years, have a RS4000 and it performs flawlessly. Perfect uptime. Currently 175 days and this was after a previous 300+ day record that I lost because I had to reboot to get a newer KVM version. They're a no brainer for the price, literally performs like a dedi for me.

Sadly not perfect uptime for me on 2/2 instances so relegated them to backup servers. It’s good enough to appear as 100% uptime to a monitor, but it is inaccessible up to twice a day for several seconds. This is still happening now over 12 months later so there is some infrastructure issue

It is very interesting problem and you are not the only one who experiencing this. I heard same from my friend who switched out finaly.

But my experience is 100% availability. I host streaming and other services over VPN, usualy it used in the background 18--20 hours of a day and never had any issue.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • Weird. Never had that issue, my box pushes close to their 120 TB outbound limit every month and network/cpu/disk performance has been top tier for me coupled with perfect reliability. Unbeatable for the price for a 2.5 Gbps network box.

Thanked by 1ThinVps
  • @darkimmortal said:

What are you seeing when that happens? I have a root server with them and every so often I have very high I/O wait (8-10 seconds) while there are no disk read/write spikes, it causes my CPU usage to spike to >80% and sometimes it makes the server unresponsive for a few seconds (I cannot ping it anymore, and applications running on there no longer work).

I contacted Netcup a few days ago and they responded that there were no anomalies on the host system. I may be causing these issues myself (if that is even possible), but I see the exact same issue that you are describing; A few seconds per day, the server is unresponsive, but not long enough to trigger a downtime alert.

So I'd love to know if you see the same high I/O wait when your servers go unresponsive.

Some screenshots of what I'm seeing:

-Tim

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited September 2022

@Tim_kwakman said:

@darkimmortal said:

What are you seeing when that happens? I have a root server with them and every so often I have very high I/O wait (8-10 seconds) while there are no disk read/write spikes, it causes my CPU usage to spike to >80% and sometimes it makes the server unresponsive for a few seconds (I cannot ping it anymore, and applications running on there no longer work).

I contacted Netcup a few days ago and they responded that there were no anomalies on the host system. I may be causing these issues myself (if that is even possible), but I see the exact same issue that you are describing; A few seconds per day, the server is unresponsive, but not long enough to trigger a downtime alert.

So I'd love to know if you see the same high I/O wait when your servers go unresponsive.

Some screenshots of what I'm seeing:

-Tim

Yes it does appear to be IO-related freezing. In any given day, the maximum recorded IO latency is >5 seconds, sometimes >20.

No other VPS or dedicated server I have used has ever recorded such high values, except for HDD-based servers limping along during a disk failure / raid rebuild, and even then the highest is only 3 seconds. Even a peak of 1 second in the average / everyday case would be remarkably bad compared to other servers.

Something about Netcup's architecture is flawed, maybe their approach to CoW/snapshots, maybe they are doing a lot of online migrations, maybe they are using consumer-grade SSDs, who knows

Thanked by 2Tim_kwakman cadddr