Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a data storage or file storage server only - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a data storage or file storage server only

2»

Comments

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited March 2023

@xenstar said:

@emgh said:

@xenstar said:

@emgh said:

@Harambe said:
    BuyVM Slice + 256GB slab

This, but might as well migrate the site to that slice to not pay for it only to access the slab.

But since my download is relatively high, I think even if I get a Block Storage with their KVM which is 2Core, it will affect the download speed. Customers might find it quite slow to download files, as the CPU usage will be always full if too many people downloading the files at the same time.

No, BuyVM is fast and 3 TB / month is not too much.

Why would it be slower than any other solution?

I mean I was thinking like, if 50 people download a 500MB file, it will create a high load on the CPU, and thus everyone's download will be quite slow. from this point I was thinking, it might be slow.

50 concurrent connection on 1Gbit = 20Mbit per client max.
    It will be slow for that reason, not because of CPU.

And if you max out 1Gbit connection then are you sure that your bandwidth usage is just 3TB/mo, 1% of 1Gbit 24/7 capability?

You're probably overthinking all of it, including CPU. Core2Duo from 2006 could handle 1Gbit, 5950X cores on BuyVM are 5x faster than that.

And if you need more than 1Gbit there is no way you will use just 3TB/mo.

Maybe use Cloudflare R2 (will cost around $2.50/mo) and don't worry about all of it.

Thanked by 1xenstar
  • @loay said:
    Check Cloudflare R2 or IDrive e2

I'm also looking for some storage solutions. Most of my data will be sitting idle instead of being accessed actively. Going through the suggestions in this thread, IDrive E2 seems to be the cheapest. Are there any other cheaper options?

• loayloay Member

@DentFuse said: Most of my data will be sitting idle

How frequent you will be accessing the data? R2 and e2 may not be the cheapest option in this regard. Hetzner Storage Boxes is cheaper but it can not be used as a cdn or hot storage.

• @loay said:

How frequent you will be accessing the data? R2 and e2 may not be the cheapest option in this regard. Hetzner Storage Boxes is cheaper but it can not be used as a cdn or hot storage.

Maybe 5-10% of the data, spread out over a month, with new data constantly being added. Currently have around 150gb, and around 1-2gb is added every week on average.

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited March 2023

@xenstar said:

@masterninjoso said:

@sreekanth850 said:
    Use bunny storage and create a main directory as books and then you can add as many subdirectories. upload files using FTP or their filemanager. Connect the main directory to a pullzone and link a subdomain server1.xyz.com to access the files with that url. You can set replication with multiple regions to make redundant. 3 region cost for HDD storage comes around 0.03 /GB/Month. They have SSD storage also but the cost is little more. If you want i can setup a sample directory and show you how it works. Use there volume tier for pullzone to get $0.005 /GB for bandwidth.

I have been using BunnyCDN, it will not give value for high bandwidth transferring. Using 3 TB bandwidth will cost $35 (approx).

In that case, I think cloudflare R2 is cheaper, as they don't have any egress fees. So I agree with you, bunny is quite expensive.

I suggested bunny as you need structured storage, Otherwise Cloudflare egress is free. Dont forget that Cloudflare charges for Class A and B Operations.

• loayloay Member

@DentFuse said: Maybe 5-10% of the data, spread out over a month, with new data constantly being added.

I think r2 would be the cheaper option, it will cost less than 5$/month.
    https://pricing.ceru.dev/r2

Thanked by 2DentFuse greentea
  • emghemgh Member

@AXYZE said:

@xenstar said:

@emgh said:

@xenstar said:

@emgh said:

@Harambe said:
    BuyVM Slice + 256GB slab

This, but might as well migrate the site to that slice to not pay for it only to access the slab.

But since my download is relatively high, I think even if I get a Block Storage with their KVM which is 2Core, it will affect the download speed. Customers might find it quite slow to download files, as the CPU usage will be always full if too many people downloading the files at the same time.

I mean I was thinking like, if 50 people download a 500MB file, it will create a high load on the CPU, and thus everyone's download will be quite slow. from this point I was thinking, it might be slow.

And if you max out 1Gbit connection then are you sure that your bandwidth usage is just 3TB/mo, 1% of 1Gbit 24/7 capability?

You're probably overthinking all of it, including CPU. Core2Duo from 2006 could handle 1Gbit, 5950X cores on BuyVM are 5x faster than that.

Maybe use Cloudflare R2 (will cost around $2.50/mo) and don't worry about all of it.

Also, after 3 months, don't you get 10Gbit? Not that it's dedicated but still

• emghemgh Member

Very off-topic: Anybody know where exactly you see if you're a BuyVM premier client or not?

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@emgh said:
    Very off-topic: Anybody know where exactly you see if you're a BuyVM premier client or not?

in your clientara page, https://my.frantech.ca/clientarea.php

Thanked by 1emgh
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

@emgh said:

@AXYZE said:

@xenstar said:

@emgh said:

@xenstar said:

@emgh said:

@Harambe said:
    BuyVM Slice + 256GB slab

I dont remember how it exactly works, but wasnt that 90 days for Alipay+Crypto and instant for CC?

Btw my ooint was - theres just no way he needs even this 1Gbit with just 3TB/mo. Its just 1% of 1Gbit 24/7 capability. I'm sure that its just classic "overengineering", something that affects also me.

Thanked by 2emgh BasToTheMax
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@AXYZE said:

@emgh said:

@AXYZE said:

@xenstar said:

@emgh said:

@xenstar said:

@emgh said:

@Harambe said:
    BuyVM Slice + 256GB slab

I dont remember how it exactly works, but wasnt that 90 days for Alipay+Crypto and instant for CC?

Btw my ooint was - theres just no way he needs even this 1Gbit with just 3TB/mo. Its just 1% of 1Gbit 24/7 capability. I'm sure that its just classic "overengineering", something that affects also me.

Premiere accounts get 10Gbit upgrade instantly on VPS's, while rest must wait for 90 days(whatever payment method), and it will upgrade to 10gbit networking.

Thanked by 3AXYZE emgh greentea
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

@FatGrizzly said:

@AXYZE said:

@emgh said:

@AXYZE said:

@xenstar said:

@emgh said:

@xenstar said:

@emgh said:

@Harambe said:
    BuyVM Slice + 256GB slab

Premiere accounts get 10Gbit upgrade instantly on VPS's, while rest must wait for 90 days(whatever payment method), and it will upgrade to 10gbit networking.

Just checked, its exactly like you say. :)

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@FatGrizzly said: Btw my ooint was - theres just no way he needs even this 1Gbit with just 3TB/mo. Its just 1% of 1Gbit 24/7 capability. I'm sure that its just classic "overengineering", something that affects also me.

Thanks to you and to @FatGrizzly very helpful.

But yes, my "Lol ok" on the first page wasn't only to make fun of him but also to convey that it's getting ridiculous, it's light usage really.

I also came to think of it, kind of funny how everyone using like 2-3 TB think that they're using such a huge amount of bandwidth and everyone using like 50-100 TB think it's crazy when a provider gets mad (I'm often on the client's side, but it's still funny).

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @DentFuse said:

@loay said:

Maybe 5-10% of the data, spread out over a month, with new data constantly being added. Currently have around 150gb, and around 1-2gb is added every week on average.

Backblaze B2 could also be an options, cheaper storage than R2 but you have to pay for egress

Thanked by 1greentea
  • Maybe use Cloudflare R2 (will cost around $2.50/mo) and don't worry about all of it.

yes I agree with you, and I choose that. Also, I was able to create same structure link, I wanted. It was pretty easy. Thanks, @loay, for helping me set up and transfer the file.

One post in lowendtalk community, and solve all the issues. I wanted to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude for your invaluable assistance in helping me choose the best storage server for my needs. Your insights, recommendations, and expertise were invaluable in guiding me towards the perfect solution.

I feel fortunate to be part of such an incredible community, and I look forward to continuing to learn and grow with all of you.

:smile:

Thanked by 1loay
  • I suggested bunny as you need structured storage, Otherwise Cloudflare egress is free. Dont forget that Cloudflare charges for Class A and B Operations.

Thank you for your suggestion. With cloudflare R2, I was able to create same structured storage, after adding my domain. Yes, cloudflare charges for Class A and B, but my uploads are not that frequent (they give 1 million for free), only download which will count class B operations and I will already get 10 million free requests per month.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

Hy,

Maybe this might be some interest

• hamperedhampered Member
    edited April 2023

Why not keep it all on Digital Ocean and use their Spaces product?
    It will probably end up within a few $ of other products...even Cloudflare R2...I think you'll get pretty close to $20 anyway.

• SiliCloudSiliCloud Member, Patron Provider, LIR
    edited April 2023

Hi,

I think our affordable HA storage VM is suitable for you.
    Storage SP offers @ Los Angeles:

1 vCPU Xeon 2683v4 2GiB DDR4 
    20GiB vSSD + 500G HDD_WHS
    Global Out-Traffic 2000G@1Gbps throttled@3Mbps
    6 Mo 23.88 USD (Recurring)

Place Order

1000G Plan is also available.

Sincerely,
    SICloud,