Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a data storage or file storage server only
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a data storage or file storage server only

Hello, my main WordPress website is hosted in digital ocean.

I need another server only to save files, and people can download the files e.g server1.xyz.com.

I have around 200GB of files, and my bandwidth usage is around 3TB per month. Can you guys suggest me a provider?

Thanked by 1SiliCloud

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

BuyVM Slice + 256GB slab

• loayloay Member

Check Cloudflare R2 or IDrive e2

Thanked by 1xenstar
  • @loay said:
    Check Cloudflare R2 or IDrive e2

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was checking cloudflare R2, but in my previous host I have file structure uploading in this format

books/topic/filename.pdf

But seems in R2, i cannot upload in this way, so I have to update all the links in my website manually. Also didn't see the option to upload the files via sftp or linux commands.

• emghemgh Member

@Harambe said:
    BuyVM Slice + 256GB slab

This, but might as well migrate the site to that slice to not pay for it only to access the slab.

Thanked by 1mxmla
  • loayloay Member
    edited March 2023

@xenstar said: books/topic/filename.pdf

You can actually do this, just drop the folder and add the files.

@xenstar said: Also didn't see the option to upload the files via sftp or linux commands

You can use rclone.
    https://rclone.org/s3/#cloudflare-r2

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @xenstar said:
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I was checking cloudflare R2, but in my previous host I have file structure uploading in this format

books/topic/filename.pdf

But seems in R2, i cannot upload in this way, so I have to update all the links in my website manually. Also didn't see the option to upload the files via sftp or linux commands.

Object storage is typically not hierarchical. You don't use SFTP, but some S3 compatible client, such as rclone.

You might be looking for FTP storage that allows HTTPS links. Hetzner storage box is about $5/mo for 1TB. Can upload using FTP/SFTP.

• TNAHostingTNAHosting Member, Patron Provider

If an OpenVZ VPS works for you, we have a 500GB HDD plan with 15TB of bandwidth.

4x vCPU / 12G RAM / 500GB HDD / 15TB Bandwidth - $5/month

• loayloay Member

@CyberneticTitan said: Object storage is typically not hierarchical

This is possible with r2 and there is multiple ways to enable this

@CyberneticTitan said: Hetzner storage box

I'm wondering if any one has experience using this for hot storage

• @emgh said:

@Harambe said:
    BuyVM Slice + 256GB slab

This, but might as well migrate the site to that slice to not pay for it only to access the slab.

But since my download is relatively high, I think even if I get a Block Storage with their KVM which is 2Core, it will affect the download speed. Customers might find it quite slow to download files, as the CPU usage will be always full if too many people downloading the files at the same time.

• @TNAHosting said:
    If an OpenVZ VPS works for you, we have a 500GB HDD plan with 15TB of bandwidth.

I don't mind openvz, as I only need to store the files and people can download the files for free. But HDD hard disk, might not give a good experience, I prefer SSD.

• emghemgh Member

@xenstar said:

@emgh said:

@Harambe said:
    BuyVM Slice + 256GB slab

But since my download is relatively high, I think even if I get a Block Storage with their KVM which is 2Core, it will affect the download speed. Customers might find it quite slow to download files, as the CPU usage will be always full if too many people downloading the files at the same time.

No, BuyVM is fast and 3 TB / month is not too much.

Why would it be slower than any other solution?

• @CyberneticTitan said: Hetzner storage box is about $5/mo for 1TB. Can upload using FTP/SFTP.

Yes, I checked hetzner storage box aswell. I wasn't sure if I can upload the files in this format books/topic/filename.pdf and connect with my domain. I will check it out again. I think hetzner storage box will be the perfect solution, as I don't have to worry about the CPU and RAM.

• emghemgh Member

@xenstar said:

@TNAHosting said:

I don't mind openvz, as I only need to store the files and people can download the files for free. But HDD hard disk, might not give a good experience, I prefer SSD.

The limit will be the downloader’s internet, not the HDD.

Since you’re not thinking of using any CDN based storage, latency between the downloader and the server will be the curlpit, not the drive.

• @emgh said:

@xenstar said:

@emgh said:

@Harambe said:
    BuyVM Slice + 256GB slab

I mean I was thinking like, if 50 people download a 500MB file, it will create a high load on the CPU, and thus everyone's download will be quite slow. from this point I was thinking, it might be slow.

• Since you’re not thinking of using any CDN based storage, latency between the downloader and the server will be the curlpit, not the drive.

understand. yes, that makes sense. I understand this as well.

• emghemgh Member

@xenstar said:

@emgh said:

@xenstar said:

@emgh said:

@Harambe said:
    BuyVM Slice + 256GB slab

I mean I was thinking like, if 50 people download a 500MB file, it will create a high load on the CPU, and thus everyone's download will be quite slow. from this point I was thinking, it might be slow.

The CPU is probably the component working the least.

The 50 users browsing your website, if everything isn’t cached making the CPU generate dynamic pages, would take a much bigger toll on it.

I’d say with 2C you’d be fine, but it mostly depends on how your site is configured as is.

• @emgh said: The 50 users browsing your website, if everything isn’t cached making the CPU generate dynamic pages, would take a much bigger toll on it.

My main website is hosted on digital ocean. so browsing load will be on digital ocean. The new server, I will only use for hosting the files, that people can download easily.

• emghemgh Member

@xenstar said:

@emgh said: The 50 users browsing your website, if everything isn’t cached making the CPU generate dynamic pages, would take a much bigger toll on it.

My main website is hosted on digital ocean. so browsing load will be on digital ocean. The new server, I will only use for hosting the files, that people can download easily.

Lol ok

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@xenstar what location you prefering?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@xenstar said: I don't mind openvz, as I only need to store the files and people can download the files for free.

Isn't this the perfect use case for a CDN?

Unless you're going low-end...which I can respect.

Thanked by 1xenstar
  • @TNAHosting said:

Where is the server location? I checked the website, couldn't find.

• TNAHostingTNAHosting Member, Patron Provider

@xenstar said:

@TNAHosting said:

Where is the server location? I checked the website, couldn't find.

Servers are located in Chicago, IL, USA

• @raindog308 said:

@xenstar said: I don't mind openvz, as I only need to store the files and people can download the files for free.

Isn't this the perfect use case for a CDN?

Unless you're going low-end...which I can respect.

Yes, I understand entirely. I was checking the block storage technology, and so far, Cloudflare R2 has desirable pricing, but I don't know how to set up and transfer files from my previous host to R2 storage. Not good with SSH commands.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    @xenstar what location you prefering?

I don't have a location preference, but most of my visitors are from asia. My current server is hetzner germany (a friend gave me his dedicated server to store files but he is going to close that server so I am looking for other options), and visitors don't complain.

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited March 2023

Use bunny storage and create a main directory as books and then you can add as many subdirectories. upload files using FTP or their filemanager. Connect the main directory to a pullzone and link a subdomain server1.xyz.com to access the files with that url. You can set replication with multiple regions to make redundant. 3 region cost for HDD storage comes around 0.03 /GB/Month. They have SSD storage also but the cost is little more. If you want i can setup a sample directory and show you how it works. Use there volume tier for pullzone to get $0.005 /GB for bandwidth.

• c1vhostingc1vhosting Member
    edited March 2023

@xenstar said:
    Hello, my main WordPress website is hosted in digital ocean.

I need another server only to save files, and people can download the files e.g server1.xyz.com.

I have around 200GB of files, and my bandwidth usage is around 3TB per month. Can you guys suggest me a provider?

CPU 2 vCore
    RAM 2GB
    HDD 250GB
    Bandwidth 2TB @ 1Gbps
    Anti-DDoS 100Gbps Standard Protection
    Network IPv4 + IPv6 (Dual Stack)

or cPanel
    250GB HDD
    Bandwidth 3TB @ 1Gbps

€32/year vat excluded.

• @sreekanth850 said:
    Use bunny storage and create a main directory as books and then you can add as many subdirectories. upload files using FTP or their filemanager. Connect the main directory to a pullzone and link a subdomain server1.xyz.com to access the files with that url. You can set replication with multiple regions to make redundant. 3 region cost for HDD storage comes around 0.03 /GB/Month. They have SSD storage also but the cost is little more. If you want i can setup a sample directory and show you how it works. Use there volume tier for pullzone to get $0.005 /GB for bandwidth.

I have been using BunnyCDN, it will not give value for high bandwidth transferring. Using 3 TB bandwidth will cost $35 (approx).

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited March 2023

@masterninjoso said:

@sreekanth850 said:

I have been using BunnyCDN, it will not give value for high bandwidth transferring. Using 3 TB bandwidth will cost $35 (approx).

If you are using high bandwidth transfer for media and files you have to use their volume tier and not the standard tier. Volume tier cost you 0.005$ per GB. For enabling volume tier you need to set this in pullzone setttings. And volume tier is flat pricing means for any location the pricing is 0.005 per gb. Means 3TB will cost 15$ for bandwidth and storage cost will be 0.03 per gb for 3 replications.
    Considering this as files, op needs atleast one backup server for making it safe. So inmho setting up 2 servers will cost you more than bandwidth cost + STorage in bunny.

Saying this from my experience of using them for Video streaming.

• @masterninjoso said:

@sreekanth850 said:

In that case, I think cloudflare R2 is cheaper, as they don't have any egress fees. So I agree with you, bunny is quite expensive.

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

Check out our 10Gbps VPS servers: https://oplink.net/virtual-private-servers/
    We included 250G NVME storage on the smallest plan.

I also have some discounted Dedicated Servers too. All servers include 1 Public IP, 1GB Unlimited Internet access, and DDOS Protection. Available Servers:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1270-v3 (ID: D500152 or D500134*)
    Memory: 32G RAM & SSD: 1TB
    Price: $49.95

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1280-v6 (ID: D500102)
    Memory: 16G RAM & SSD: 1TB
    Price: $49.95

Email [email protected] if interested make sure you copy the ID# above for the discount.

Thanks
    Ryan